Australian Tour Announcement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ChargedVT said:
$99 is approximately what Popmart tickets were, but this time they are touring in support of a much more successful album so i'll guarantee they thrash that 17,500 figure this time. Don't forget that ATYCLB was a huge hit here, as were the Best Ofs...

I wouldn't count on it. I think Axver is right. It'll go close but it won't sell out.

Utoo said:

I missed 'em, too. Well, I was pretty busy....was clowning in Moscow & St. Petersburg with Patch Adams at orphanages & hospitals. Pretty darn cool. Now I'm back & my computer's on the fritz. Hunting for internet means not only having so little time to check Interference, but also the fear that I haven't backed up ANY of the hundreds of songs I've downloaded on my laptop...! :ohmy: :huh: Here's hoping that the repair guy can fix it next week!

I wish the band were coming through NZ in the summer....it would've made a great excuse to go down there when I've got some time off!

Argh, computer problems are enough to cause me to almost lose my mind - being on dialup for a few days in October when a storm blew out my modem and ethernet card was agony.

But consider me jealous of you, as I've always had a fascination with everything Russian. I'd love to go there one day.

Also, if U2 were in NZ in your summer, it'd be the Kiwi winter and I don't think anyone wants to be out at a stadium for any reason other than rugby then! :wink:

neilm said:

I wouldn't count on it. I think Axver is right. It'll go close but it won't sell out.

I just looked up the Brisbane stadium on austadiums.com and after looking at that, I'm even more doubtful of a sellout. For sport, the stadium holds 49,000, and at each end are only very small stands. Not sure what end they'd put the stage at, but it doesn't really matter - either way, there will be more room available on the field than is lost by blocking off the end stands. That means that the capacity for U2 should be over 50,000. Popmart sold 17,500. If U2 can almost triple their attendance, even though they've had no physical presence here in the meantime, that will be incredible.

I don't believe they can do it. I'm predicting that they could double Popmart's attendance, but beyond that? Consider me skeptical.

Axver said:

:hmm:

I'll be living in Brisbane by this point, probably around St Lucia, so I'll probably be reliant on public transport. There better be a railway or busway stop nearby!

You could get a bus to Garden City (the shopping centre) and walk up - maybe 2 km? They probably do go closer though.

They often close off the streets around the stadium.

That is what I did last time, heaps of people do. You can then share the excitement on the way up, and get everyone's thoughts on the way back.

It should be great.

I think they will come close to selling it out, especially if ticket prices are kept low. It is high ticket prices that stop a lot of people from going to these events.

Axver said:

I just looked up the Brisbane stadium on austadiums.com and after looking at that, I'm even more doubtful of a sellout. For sport, the stadium holds 49,000, and at each end are only very small stands. Not sure what end they'd put the stage at, but it doesn't really matter - either way, there will be more room available on the field than is lost by blocking off the end stands. That means that the capacity for U2 should be over 50,000. Popmart sold 17,500. If U2 can almost triple their attendance, even though they've had no physical presence here in the meantime, that will be incredible.

I don't believe they can do it. I'm predicting that they could double Popmart's attendance, but beyond that? Consider me skeptical.

b_m here,

ANZ is such a shocking venue. It really represents the old Qld. I wish we could do something to get it moved to Suncorp/Lang Park or even the Gabba before tickets go on sale!

Maybe I should be greatful and just shut up!

b_m here,

ANZ is such a shocking venue. It really represents the old Qld. I wish we could do something to get it moved to Suncorp/Lang Park or even the Gabba before tickets go on sale!

It's such a shame that Lang Park is out. That letter you posted sure shot any hopes of that to pieces. :sigh:

Does the 'Gabba have such noise restrictions, or does it even host concerts? I know there are residential areas nearby, so I'm guessing that it has restrictions of some sort ...

Maybe we should just get the show transferred to my backyard! :hyper:

Last edited:
Naya said:

b_m here,

My thoughts exactly!

On a different topic....

I wonder where they will stay when they are here?

For Pop they were at the Hyatt at Coolum and the "sandal scandal" happened in Noosa.

The other thing I have just noticed no one has talked about (or maybe I just haven't read it), any one seen the boys out and about after the concerts??? In the States, I mean (obviously!)

When they were here for LoveTown, Bono was strolling the Botanical Gardens and then playing pool till the wee hours at Dooley's.

Gotta think they would head to the Valley if they are stepping out in Brisbane???

Thoughts anyone?

well...

i dont know if it means much but....

at the time i wrote that email to the premier, i also emailed the events manager at suncorp. a mr black from memory (i should have kept the email!). he told me that although they are restrictions on noise at suncorp, it COULD be negotiated to have events like U2 there if there were negotiations between the various groups.

i was thinking of emailing the premier back and saying this.

A lot of large touring acts now don't even stay in Brisbane, just jet up from Sydney, do the show, jet back to Sydney the same night. U2 are doing this a lot now in the US and Europe and it wouldn't surprise me to see them only stay in Sydney (for Sydney and Brisbane) and Melbourne (for Melbourne and Adelaide).

imogen said:
The other thing I have just noticed no one has talked about (or maybe I just haven't read it), any one seen the boys out and about after the concerts??? In the States, I mean (obviously!)

I don't really follow this kind of stuff as I'm not usually interested, but I did see one picture from New York where Bono took his daughters to see some theatrical production. I think nowadays, Bono's spending a lot of the non-concert time working on his poverty campaigns - I know he was jetting all over the place earlier in the third leg.

I may have to start taking notice of the band's behaviour outside concerts just as I'd like to talk to them about setlists. :nerd:

Earnie Shavers said:
A lot of large touring acts now don't even stay in Brisbane, just jet up from Sydney, do the show, jet back to Sydney the same night. U2 are doing this a lot now in the US and Europe and it wouldn't surprise me to see them only stay in Sydney (for Sydney and Brisbane) and Melbourne (for Melbourne and Adelaide).

If the Brisbane shows were immediately before or after Sydney, I'd agree with this assessment. However, the Melbourne and Adelaide shows fall between the two, and I doubt U2 would stay in Sydney for the Brisbane show, then go to Melbourne for Melbourne/Adelaide, then come back to Sydney.

My guess is that due to the schedule, they will stay in Brisbane, or they'll choose just one central hub city for all the Aussie shows.

bono_man2002 said:

Unless you've fixed your drive away, they'll never get the trucks in to setup the stage :)

We have, actually! You wouldn't recognise it. They could back the trucks up and load the stage just fine now. :drool:

(Well, maybe we'd have to move the garage out of the way, but that's just a minor issue, you know? :wink: )

bono_man2002 said:

Plus $25 postage...tickets are so weigh so much these days!

But you get a $5 discount if you buy via the presale. Only two tickets available in the presale! :happy:

Axver said:

From the fine print:

Please note: view obstructed (by a wall) of U2 playing outside.

Pre Show Entertainment:

8:00pm : Into Axvers room for pool
8:01pm : relise what we have to clean up the pool table
9:45pm : U2 about to take stage...no time for pool
9:50pm : U2 take the stage

bono_man2002 said:

Pre Show Entertainment:

8:00pm : Into Axvers room for pool
8:01pm : relise what we have to clean up the pool table
9:45pm : U2 about to take stage...no time for pool
9:50pm : U2 take the stage

Axver's pre-show preparation:

6am: Get up
7am: decide to clean pool table in an hour
8am: decide to clean pool table in an hour
9am: decide to clean pool table in an hour
10am: decide to clean pool table in an hour
11am: decide to clean pool table in an hour
Midday: decide to clean pool table in an hour
1pm: decide to clean pool table in an hour
2pm: decide to clean pool table in an hour
3pm: realise everyone enters in an hour and that the pool table is still messy
3:30pm: decide to make the table look somewhat presentable in 15 minutes
3:45pm: decide to make the table look somewhat presentable in 10 minutes
3:55pm: decide to make the table look somewhat presentable in 3 minutes
3:58pm: push some stuff around into neater stacks
4pm: apologise for the piles of junk on the pool table

Hey there - phew - glad my sources were right onm the onsale date! I expected a severe caning if it wasnt Dec 5 or thereabouts! In regards to Perth, apparently the expense was too high. Simple as that. However don't lose hope - they may add a show on if the others sell well.

Go to a quiet suburban Ticketek outlet a few hours before they go on sale. For Popmart I showed up at a local suburban outlet at about 5am. There were all of about 10 others there. Hung around, ate some McDonalds, then at 9am they opened up shop and I got front row without a hassle in the world. I showed up at 5 when really I could have arrived at about 8am. I'd suggest not fucking up and going real early though. Even if it's not needed in the end. I've never understood why all those monkeys head into the big CBD outlets....

What's the Internet like for Aussie/NZ shows? I scored GAs to two US shows in the general sale despite the debacle some seemed to have.

I'm thinking that I'll stay home and try the Internet, as I want to go after New Zealand and interstate tickets too, and Queensland will be the last on sale. Also, with something like 20,000 GAs a gig, is it really going to be the fight it is for an arena?

I have bought tickets for fast selling shows before, I know U2 sells out like crazy in the US & Europe. But somehow I doubt in Australia at least that they will sell out 100,000 tickets in Sydney, 70,000 tickets in Adelaide etc so quick that you wont have a chance. I dont think U2 has that many hardcore fans in Australia like overseas, especially as they havent been here for a long time. No doubt there is still plenty but I am sure you have a good chance of getting GA if you line up early etc.

Last edited:
My suggestion is, line up obviously. I will more than likely phone for the NZ ones, or see if there is some unsecure wireless network near my local Ticketek...

For the second show though, it really is crucial that you have somone on the internet who can give you a heads up for when the second show comes alive and you can quickly go and grab them (this is assuming they follow the time honoured tradition of releasing the show 30-60 minutes after the first show goes on sale).

Internet for any large scale event is for suckers. :tongue:

Last edited:
Just heard 'Man & A Woman' on the radio. If they've gone so far as to play that little stinker, they're certainly pushing this thing as far as it can go....

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom