Australia - The Desperate And Dateless Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
fullautoreverse said:
is that with qantas tim?

Air New Zealand should be cheaper than Qantas. But if you want to go the ultimate cheapest you will probably have to look further afield, probably duck into your local FlightCentre.

Also while you are still enrolled at school pick up a STA travel card you could get even better fares through them or www.studentflights.com.au :up:

timothius said:
Also while you are still enrolled at school pick up a STA travel card you could get even better fares through them or www.studentflights.com.au :up:

Oooh. That sounds right up my alley, though I don't have my uni stuff yet. What's this STA card you speak of?

Axver said:

Oooh. That sounds right up my alley, though I don't have my uni stuff yet. What's this STA card you speak of?

www.statravel.com.au

Pick up an application from any branch, but you do need to be enrolled etc, so you might have to wait until next Feb or whenever you do complete the paperwork (as the uni have to sign that you are a student there), by which time it might have been cheaper to get one of those dog cheap fares around now. I don't know really, suss it out though. :up:

From U2.com

It's Official! Australia To Get Vertigo
Eight years after they last played Australia, U2 are taking the Vertigo Tour to Auckland, Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide and Sydney in March. The shows are the first to be announced for 'Vertigo '06' which will kick off in February and also stop in Mexico, South America, New Zealand, Australia and Japan.

U2.Com can exclusively confirm the Australian dates - tickets will go on general sale on Monday December 5th.

Friday March 17 Auckland Ericsson Stadium

Tuesday March 21 Brisbane Queensland Sports & Athletics Centre

Friday March 24 Melbourne Telstra Dome

Tuesday March 28 Adelaide AAMI Stadium

Friday March 31 Sydney Telstra Stadium

Tickets are priced at $99 for General Admission to the stadium field area,with Reserved Seat tickets to be priced between $99 and $199. Ticket sales outlet information will be released one week prior to the on-sale date of December 5.

Since the Vertigo Tour kicked off in San Diego last March, three and a half million fans have filled 110 shows in North America and Europe. Meanwhile, a year after release, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb enjoys 9 million sales worldwide and this week 'U2//Vertigo//2005 Live from Chicago, a live DVD of the show was released worldwide.

timothius said:
The price is right. :love:

Its obvious that they knew they wouldnt sell out shows with tickets all $150+

Now its just a matter of filling the bank account...emptying my parents creidt card for december 5th :hyper:

I'm going to buy the tickets for Melbourne at the local ticketek...but interstate is gonna have to be over the net....and I hope thats not ebay!!

:drool: :drool: :drool:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just heard!!!! Adelaide hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!

am so happy the drinks are on me for any interferences who make it down here!!!!!!

:drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

This news plus Australia qualifying for the world cup in the same week!!!! Could it get any better????????

:heart:

I'm not happy with Austar, they botched the rights to England vs NZ so now there's an old Bledisloe game on! :rant: Talk about waking up for nothing! Just to make it worse, I caught the end of Australia breaking their seven game losing streak as they beat Ireland. :madspit:

But this pricing announcement makes it all better. :drool:

Just read the Sunday Mail and there's a whole PAGE dedicated to the U2 concert, plus a headliner on the front page.
Says the article, most tickets will be under $100
FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Axver said:

We're both insane!

I thought you're not usually up till 5am?...oh wait....there's an hours diffrence isnt there? :lol:

Well at least you've gotten sleep....I could lay in bed for hours in still be awake, so I may aswell stay here.

bono_man2002 said:

I thought you're not usually up till 5am?...oh wait....there's an hours diffrence isnt there? :lol:

Well at least you've gotten sleep....I could lay in bed for hours in still be awake, so I may aswell stay here.

I'm normally up at 6am QLD time, but I got up early for THE GAME THAT ISN'T ON. :mad:

How could they botch the rights? Who cares about Scotland vs Argentina (which is on now)? NZ vs England is so much more important, any rugby fan can tell you that.

ChargedVT said:
Just read the Sunday Mail and there's a whole PAGE dedicated to the U2 concert, plus a headliner on the front page.
Says the article, most tickets will be under $100
FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if there's a whole page in the Hearld Sun?, I could walk down to safeway at 4:40am? :hmm:

Axver said:

I'm normally up at 6am QLD time, but I got up early for THE GAME THAT ISN'T ON. :mad:

How could they botch the rights? Who cares about Scotland vs Argentina (which is on now)? NZ vs England is so much more important, any rugby fan can tell you that.

And this game isnt even Live.....

Axver said:

You didn't need to tell me that, that makes it worse! :mad: Stuff 'em! :mad:

We can always flick over and see the great range of music on the music channels :happy:

Actually...the other night they had a U2 song, next another band then U2 Again...all on VH1...unbelieveable!

bono_man2002 said:

We can always flick over and see the great range of music on the music channels :happy:

Actually...the other night they had a U2 song, next another band then U2 Again...all on VH1...unbelieveable!

:shocked: It's a miracle! Proof of God right there! :shocked:

By the way, New Zealand won! Even though we had three players yellow carded! :happy:

Also, don't know if you've noticed, but our most expensive seats are cheaper than the most expensive seats in the US, assuming those prices on U2.com are in Aussie dollars (I see no reason to assume they're not).

I accidently just posted these three in the wrong thread :happy:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,17301267%5E2902,00.html

"I always enjoy Australia," said bass player Adam Clayton in San Francisco last week.

"It's a really great country and particularly great to be there in March when it is winter everywhere else.

"We are going to be playing outdoors with the summer production."

The scale of the production means there will be two complete systems for the Australian tour, leapfrogging each other around the country. As one is being dismantled, another one will be erected in the next city.

The centrepiece of the set, which will arrive into the country via 32 ocean containers and three 747 charter planes, is a video wall 40m wide and 10m high, flanked by two screens that are 12m wide and 8m high.

Mr Coppel said the show's clash with the closing weekend of the Commonwealth Games was unavoidable because of the narrow window available to the band and the number of huge events in Melbourne around the time.

The Telstra Dome shows – a second is expected the following night but not confirmed – will be sandwiched between the final of the Wizard Cup and the opening weekend of the AFL season, which is also the weekend of the Australian Grand Prix.

Despite the potential terror threat surrounding the Games, guitarist the Edge dismissed the idea that the band or its shows could became a target.

"You can't really go around thinking like that otherwise you wouldn't do anything," he said.

After its high-profile activism for debt relief and AIDS awareness in Africa, the band, led by charismatic frontman Bono, has made politics and human rights a central element of the show – stark contrast to the excesses of Popmart, the last tour to visit these shores.

Clayton stressed the importance of human rights, particular in a climate of world terror.

"The only theme in a sense that runs through the show is the idea of enshrining the idea of human rights," he said.

"It is strange that it really seems to connect with people at a time where human rights are kind of being eroded.

"In a sense that is kind of the worst effect of terrorism and it is not the human rights of the terrorists necessarily being eroded, it is the human rights of everyone else. It is something we thought was important."

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,17301639%5E2682,00.html

The Australian shows will be among the last of the year-long tour.

Guitarist the Edge said they looked forward to coming to Australia after leaving the country out of their last world tour for economic reasons.

"It was just way too expensive at that moment with the production we had," the Edge said.

"We felt it would have been really wrong to turn up with some kind of half-assed production – that would have felt weird for everybody. So we just decided we would wait.

"This tour is actually the culmination of what we started with All That You Can't Leave Behind and the Elevation Tour – so it's not like Australia has missed out totally on this phase of the band."

After its high-profile activism for debt relief and AIDS awareness in Africa, the band has made politics and human rights a central element of the show, in stark contrast to the excesses of Popmart, the last tour to visit these shores.

"Really, on this tour it's about the songs – it's about letting the music lead the whole thing," the Edge said. "But we wanted the tour to be about something and have a throughline in terms of content and aspiration, so the political element has been really pushed to the fore."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3484762a10,00.html

It has been 12 years since Bono and friends last played Down Under - an absence drummer Larry Mullen said had been too long.

"We're really looking forward to playing in New Zealand - it's been ages since we were there," he said about the band's one gig, at Auckland's Ericsson Stadium on March 17.

"And after the especially energetic welcome our rugby captain received during a visit this year, we might bring a few extra props," Mullin said in a reference to the infamous Tana Umaga spear tackle on Brian O'Driscoll.

New Zealand publicist Bridget de Launay said prices had yet to be set for the Auckland show, but she believed they would be "accessible".

"And after the especially energetic welcome our rugby captain received during a visit this year, we might bring a few extra props," Mullin said in a reference to the infamous Tana Umaga spear tackle on Brian O'Driscoll.

:lmao:

Larry rules. :up:

I would like to pick youse guys brains, if I may.

Which venue should I go to? I'll be flying over to whichever concert so theres an expense to all the concerts for me. I'm unfamiliar with the venues. Which one will be the best show, do ya reckon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom