Australia - The Desperate And Dateless Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking...

Seeing its a big stadium show, I wonder if we'll get the little acoustic thing at the start of the encore. I would have thought the size of the stadium show would force them to make for a rockier first encore (ZooTV!ZooTV!ZooTV!).

Also, seeing Aus/NZ/South America missed out on Elevation, maybe we'll get to see Streets reverted to its original intro with the red and the lights! hehe.

ok its time....my realistic Brisbane setlist

1. City of Blinding Lights
2. Vertigo
3. Elevation
4. Electric Co.
5. Still Haven't Found or One Tree Hill
6. Beautiful Day
7. Miracle Drug
8. Sometimes
9. New Year's Day
10. Love & Peace
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday
12. Bullet
13. Miss Sarajevo
14. Pride
15. Streets
16. One/MLK
-------------------------------------------
17. Zoo Station
18. The Fly
19. Mysterious Ways
20. With or Without You
21. Yahweh
22. Bad
23 40

Tania said:

:D

Deadly serious :drool:

I still have the tour program and just checked the dates. I went to the first eva Sydney show on 4th September and then on the 8th September.

The 4th is the one we don't have a setlist for. Can you possibly remember anything? The sets from that era are rather similar so I could just about guess what was played. I'd love to know simply because this would be the first (known) time anything was played after 40. I thought it had only happened twice, 1987-04-07 (Trip Through Your Wires and Southern Man) and 2005-05-17 (Vertigo).

On the Love Town tour, I was wrong I went to the 21st Oct show. I had to go and get the ticket. Sorry to get your hopes up. The show cost a measly $39.90.

Now I'm mildly less jealous. Only mildly, mind you!

Axver said:

Can you possibly remember anything?

:lmao: That's a question I have been asking myself for a very long time.

I think I have a tape somewhere with some of the concert on it. Not promising anything but give me the weekend to have a rummage and I will let you know what I can find for you.

bono_man said:
ok its time....my realistic Brisbane setlist

1. City of Blinding Lights
2. Vertigo
3. Elevation
4. Electric Co.
5. Still Haven't Found or One Tree Hill
6. Beautiful Day
7. Miracle Drug
8. Sometimes
9. New Year's Day
10. Love & Peace
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday
12. Bullet
13. Miss Sarajevo
14. Pride
15. Streets
16. One/MLK
17. Zoo Station
18. The Fly
19. Mysterious Ways
20. With or Without You
21. Yahweh
22. Bad
23 40
Well I hope you are wrong. I reeeeeeeeeally want to hear OOTS live. And it seems now OOTS is a permanent replacement for MD. Hopefully!

I can't help but feel a major setlist shake up is on the way for Oz soil. It will put the other legs to shame.

Guys I have just been emailed what is called a "Run Sheet". It is essentially a Set List, except lists Bono's premeditated speeches also. It looks like the script has been changed drastically to suit the Australian audience.

edit: It should be noted this was emailed to me before ticket prices were announced. :)

SPOILERS BELOW

*TRIPPY ELEVATION REMIX*

- Band come out on stage, Bono takes the mic talking over the remix saying "Sorry we missed Elevation! Here is one All That You Can't Leave Behind!". Music climaxes into...

WILD HONEY (Acoustic)

- "Yeah! Mother fucking rock 'n roll!" Bono screams! "Who is ready for a rugby lesson?" The crowd looks puzzled. "Let's count the Wallabies recent decent down the IRB World Rankings! Unos, Dos, Tres, Cartoce!!!"

VERTIGO

- "Yeah, yeah, yeah." Bono finishes. Crowd boos. "You don't like that, well how about somthing your country does like, beer, sport and the War In Iraq!"

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FAIR -> BULLET THE BLUE SKY -> US FORCES (snippet)

The blood thirsty crowd cheers the sentiment and Midnight Oil reference. "You know, many of you think the reason why we haven't been here in so long is because we are money hungry rock stars but...". Edge launches into the beginning chords Desire before Bono can finish talking.

DESIRE

"Okay, okay, okay, now you may think the reason why we haven't been here is money". The crowd offers no reaction as the $US1,750 tickets resulted in most fans starving themsevles for the 3 weeks before the concert, thus energy is at a bit of a premium. "But really" Bono continues in a very unconvincing manner "Your country's strict immigration laws, prevented our numerous attempts, isn't that right The Edge?". Edge shakes his head and makes the "wanker" motion. "This one is for Amanda Vanstone, Wah-wah-waho"

THE RUFUGEE

"And one for the Prime Minister, Mr Howard"

OL MAN RIVER (snippet)

"Thank you Sydney! You know a lot of rock bands come here and will say Australia is the best place to play on earth!". Crowd cheers. "But they are just crowd-pleasing. We honestly believe that Australia is the best place to play on earth, and Sydney is the best city on earth and it has inspired our work more than any other city.". Crowd cheers.

CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS
MIAMI
MISS SARAJEVO
WITH A SHOUT (Jerusalem)
NEW YORK

Crowd boos.

"We haven't played this for 10 years, maybe more. We are playing this for Australia's hollywood couple, Bec & Lleyton"

LOVE IS BLINDNESS

"Thank you Sydney and Good night!"

ENCORE BREAK

ZOO STATION -> STUCK IN A MOMENT YOU CAN'T GET OUT OF (snippet)

"How many of you came by train tonight?". Crowd is silent, explaining why a good 1/3 of the seats are empty, speaking volumes of Sydney's rail service. "Now back on ZooTV, I used to make a call about now every night". Crowd cheers. "How about I make one right now?". Crowd cheers. Bono dials.

SW: Hello?
Bono: Hello.
SW: Oh yeah baby, you know I like that.
Bono: I'm sorry.
SW: What are you wearing?
Bono: Black leather pants and some fly shades.
SW: Oh yeah, hot stuff baby you know Shane likes it like that.
Bono: Shane it's Bono.
SW: Bono, yeah I've got one of them.
Bono: No, Bono from U2!
SW: You've got one too, thats a bit kinky.
Bono: It's Bono from the band U2.
SW: Shit, shit, shit. Sorry mate, must've been a cross line there somewhere.
Bono: My mistake Shane, to make it up we will let you request the next song.
SW: Wow. We'll you boys have written so many songs that resonate with me, it's almost as though you wrote them about me, I think of songs like God Part II and Yahweh. But when it comes down to it, I would really love it if you could play....

MIRACLE DRUG

"How about one more for Shane?" Crowd cheers. "You know what to do..."

ONE

Crowd get out their mobile phones during this song, furiously texting away. "If you keep cheering Sydney, we will give you the most Australian encore you have ever seen!"

ENCORE BREAK

Bono enters stage, riding Phar Lap, eating pavlova, having just bought Gladiator on DVD. "How Australian am I?". Crowd cheers knowing this is the essence of being Australian.

DON'T DREAM IT'S OVER (cover)

"Thank you Sydney!" Bono screams. "This, essentially, is a song written about a drug addict, who couldn't find a way out and ended up in a very bad way, however each night we sing this for the brave men and women, especially women, serving time overseas. It doesn't really make sense, now does it? Tonight it does, as we sing this one for Schappelle"

RUNNING TO STAND STILL

"Sydney, we can't wait to see you next tour. It won't be long."

"2040" ("40" with altered lyrics, telling us exactly "How long" we must wait).

It all looks very promising. :hyper:

Last edited:
timothius said:

Are you discrediting my source? :tsk:

Yes. Joe O'Herlihy last week told me that U2 will be playing In God's Country in Australia, and they've been working on adjusting the music so the chorus can still flow with the extra syllable gained from a lyrical revision that involves including the word "Satan's".

Your source knows nothing. :tsk:

And from now it shall be known as the 'Warne Campaign'...
Australian's franticly texting to the big number on the screen which is directly linked to Shane Warnes cell phone...

Last edited:
"FAN CLUB TICKETS ON SALE TUESDAY 29 NOVEMBER 2005 FOR ALL SHOWS"

Has anyone noticed this on the ticketmaster u2 page?

Lets talk support acts shall we? Rumour has it that it might be Jet for Sydney :mad: I swear, if that's the case I'm just going to be standing there doing nothing in GA. No way am I wasting my energy on that "My Generation/Rock Around The Clock" hybrid. Sorry for that little rant :wink:
Anyway, these would be much preferred:
Eskimo Joe
End Of Fashion
Grinspoon
Youth Group
Powderfinger
Thirsty Merc

Any others?

I would like to see either of Eskimo Joe, powderfinger and grinspoon. Youth Group are supporting Coldplay so would prefer to see something different. Though I guess anything but jet would be better.

Okay, I dunno if it's been discussed here yet, but we need a serious show of hands if anyone here (or those that know anyone) about the possibility recording of both audio and video at the Oz concerts, specifically for the best city in the world, Melbourne.

Coz I've had some time on my hands and not much to do ....

Vertigo06-cover007-sample.jpg

Lemme know when it's torrented ok?

Shag On A Rock said:

What about Sydney though? Is there a Tickitek presale too?

In the US, even shows that didn't go through Ticketmaster had their presale on Ticketmaster, so maybe that will happen here too ...?

With the fan club tickets, do they only have a set number say 1000 or something? Or do they just keep selling until dec 5th when the public get them.

Would say GA sell out through the fan club or would they only allocate a certain amount and after that its sold out till general sale?

There's usually a fan sale allotment. Once it's gone the fan sale is over. The bulk of the GA tickets, and usually the prime reserved seats will be saved for the general public sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom