Australia off for 2006/07/08.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will you purchase it again just so you can have a placky box?

It would have been preferable to have the durable box the first time Slane was released but Im not going to buy another copy.

I dont. I like everything.

except for Midnoight Oil :happy:

I really just need the new Simple Minds album and I havent been able to get to the shop.

PS Why are you arent work/Uni? Its a holiday here.

Hey, hey it's 9:30 on a Monday morning - steady on with the work business! :wink:The more important question is, why aren't you sleeping in on a public holiday/day of mourning for Weagles?

Have you heard Bic Runga perhaps? :hmm:

:lol:

This is probably more information than anyone needs to know about me but Im a morning person. Im up with the larks everyday of the year. I can't sleep in. I can cat nap in the afternoon but not sleep in.

Arent you glad you asked?

Bic has a new album? I didnt know she was still around. Ill go explore. Thanks for the tip.

I feel sorry for people that can't sleep in. :wink:

Beautiful Collision was her latest and it is brilliant. But that was some time ago. Her new one wrapped up recording this week and is being mastered in London - fingers crossed for a release this year.

It is hard to reccomend artists to you - because most of my musical interest is from 70's -> 80's artists. Thinking cap goes back on. :sigh:

timothius said:
It is hard to reccomend artists to you - because most of my musical interest is from 70's -> 80's artists. Thinking cap goes back on. :sigh:

Ditto. I could rummage through the vinyl and see what I would like on CD. :hmm:

You dont recall the name of the heavy metal band that recorded Swan Lake in the late 70s/early 80s? I keep thinking its Triumph but apparently not. :mad:

beli said:
Are we getting the new single? The same as Europe? I havent seen any mention of it.

This morning I did receive an artists watch email from Sanity, who inform me that Slane in a different case is about to be released. Oh joy. :|

http://www.sanity.com.au/product.asp?intProductID=642178&intArtistID=11028

A new case, woop-dee-doo. :|

I don't even have the COBL single yet. I really want it, everyone here knows how much I love that song. But I need to save money. Every cent I don't HAVE to spend, I hold onto.

warwickcapperstopsign.jpg

See that's what's needed at our borders to stop the boat people coming in. What's worse living in a country of oppression, war and famine or living in a country with Warrick Capper?
I think they'd go the former

:lmao:

The last three pages have been very entertaining...we went slightly off topic as Axver, timothius and beli talked about Hitler, Warwick Capper, Sydney, new stadiums, what cd's to buy...:lmao:

I just signed up to U2.com (free) and my first thread was entitled WHY WON'T U2 TOUR AUSTRALIA and my username touraustralia. I posted the petition that bono_man made in there.

timothius said:

Before you know it, all bands will be playing a 32 night run of MSG. :sigh:

I wouldn't mind this.....:drool:
I hope all the rumours are wrong and they make down there for you guys....

Off Topic....What are the people/press down there saying about the Inxs Rock Star fiasco?

p.s I am a NY Jet football fan and we have one of your footballers on our team...Ben Graham, he is our punter.

Last edited:
Bobo U2 said:

I wouldn't mind this.....:drool:
I hope all the rumours are wrong and they make down there for you guys....

Off Topic....What are the people/press down there saying about the Inxs Rock Star fiasco?

p.s I am a NY Jet football fan and we have one of your footballers on our team...Ben Graham, he is our punter.

The INXS RockStar was not publicly broadcast in Australia. It didn't crack a mention in the newspaper until it was finished. Thats Perth anyway. Maybe the other states mentioned it but its a bit difficult to talk about a tv show few people have watched.

beli said:

The INXS RockStar was not publicly broadcast in Australia. It didn't crack a mention in the newspaper until it was finished. Thats Perth anyway. Maybe the other states mentioned it but its a bit difficult to talk about a tv show few people have watched.

Well IMHO ya didn't miss much....

Bobo U2 said:

Well IMHO ya didn't miss much....

I dont think any of our public tv stations would have the balls to broadcast the show. I dont know how the Australian media feel about it but I dont know a soul who can talk about it without spitting venom.

The only write up Ive seen was about the singer who won and how hes seen INXS perform at the Bali concert and never imagined he would one day be on stage with them, etc, blah, wank.

Bobo U2 said:

Well speaking from the vague age bracket that this was aimed at, the show (which was aired on Pay Television - which about 50% of the populus have access too) - the show had minimal impact. Most people in that bracket would much rather watch Australian Idol. Apparently the finale drew 500,000 viewers, which isn't shit for Pay TV by any standards.

The media are defending/supporting it. On a music channel they played an Austrlaian videoconference between Aus media and the new band - they were all blowing smoke up their arses. Pitiful.

INXS probably has more drawing power in America than Australia at this point.

Tim where did you get your 50% of Australians have access to pay tv? Im suprised its so high unless the people in other states have more access than here. Its most satellite over here and not popular amongst people I know. I only know one person who has it.

beli said:
Tim where did you get your 50% of Australians have access to pay tv? Im suprised its so high unless the people in other states have more access than here. Its most satellite over here and not popular amongst people I know. I only know one person who has it.

I honestly can't remember exactly, but it was off the ABC somehwere, 7:30 report possibly.

This article from 2002 lists the household rate @ over 20% which would have increased significantly in the past 3 years. Multiplying that with the average persons per household rate it would be somewhere around 50%. In NSW/Vic it is huge.

I'll try and find some exact figures - I'll try and track some down.

There's a difference between access and actually taking it up though, and that may be the difference between the 50% and 21%, although I think the actual uptake is far less than 21%.

Remember that Sydney + Melbourne + Brisbane = Half of Australias population and the access in those three cities would be very, very high. I think Sydney has the highest uptake as well.

Also, I think she is probably talking about Austar as the alternative Pay TV supplier. It's essentially Foxtel for regional areas.

Earnie Shavers said:
There's a difference between access and actually taking it up though, and that may be the difference between the 50% and 21%, although I think the actual uptake is far less than 21%.

Remember that Sydney + Melbourne + Brisbane = Half of Australias population and the access in those three cities would be very, very high. I think Sydney has the highest uptake as well.

You have a point. Foxtel is available at crappy pubs here. I'm sure theres many drunk old men that have access to Foxtel via the pub and the TAB.

It might also be a generational thing. I'm in the mortgage with kids category, as are my friends and colleagues. Tims in the single with disposable income category.

Austar was indeed what I was thinking of. :up:

I'm surpised so many people have access to pay tv. Isn't it something like $60 a month for the basic package? I have images of Sydneys population being poorer than Perths. Lots of highflyers but the average battler has a lower standard of living in Sydney than people in Perth. According to my gut feelings. I have no actual facts on the matter. Perhaps that's it. Pay Tv appeals to the poorer McDonalds market. :hmm:

(and the young and proportionally wealthy)

beli said:

It might also be a generational thing. I'm in the mortgage with kids category, as are my friends and colleagues. Tims in the single with disposable income category.

Austar was indeed what I was thinking of. :up:

I'm surpised so many people have access to pay tv. Isn't it something like $60 a month for the basic package? I have images of Sydneys population being poorer than Perths. Lots of highflyers but the average battler has a lower standard of living in Sydney than people in Perth. According to my gut feelings. I have no actual facts on the matter. Perhaps that's it. Pay Tv appeals to the poorer McDonalds market. :hmm:

(and the young and proportionally wealthy)

For many people Foxtel/Austar is their chosen entertainment medium. They will watch it instead of going to movies/theatre/concerts/video hire etc. If you look at it as $2 a day it is a lot eaisier to accept. :wink:

timothius said:

For many people Foxtel/Austar is their chosen entertainment medium. They will watch it instead of going to movies/theatre/concerts/video hire etc. If you look at it as $2 a day it is a lot eaisier to accept. :wink:

Considering the fact there's normally nothing on, I think that's a waste of $2 a day.

I'd rather watch grass grow than most of the garbage on TV.

timothius said:

Ah, but if you have no life and spend all day home with the sprogs there is no movies/theatres/concerts/videos to cut out of the budget and save money to purchase Pay Tv.

Enjoy it while you can Tim. You're day will come :evil:

Back
Top Bottom