Wow...just 3 bomb songs at Auckland 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mauwer

War Child
Friends ,

Seems like the guys are getting a bit tired of the bomb-songs:wink:
Just 3 bomb-songs played at Auckland 2.

What do ya all think?

Cheers ,

Mauwer

I think it has more to do with playing more ATYCLB songs, new closer, U2 18 bit with Saints...unfortunately it was at the expense of Bomb songs.

But Crumbs hasn't seen any live action since 3rd leg, Original was played very little on leg 4, and ABOY completely died with Saints coming in. (Yahweh did get played twice or so on this leg)

They have played LAPOE quite a few times...128 on this tour... but still, dropping it with 4 shows remaining seems a bit pointless.

U2girl said:
I think it has more to do with playing more ATYCLB songs, new closer, U2 18 bit with Saints...unfortunately it was at the expense of Bomb songs.

But Crumbs hasn't seen any live action since 3rd leg, Original was played very little on leg 4, and ABOY completely died with Saints coming in. (Yahweh did get played twice or so on this leg)

They played Original and Crumbs one at each of the MSG shows back in Oct/Nov. guess I was one of the lucky ones. :ohmy:

Auckland 2 was great because of the reaction of the Kiwi fans to every song. It was definitely more of a "greatest hits" type concert with so few HTDAAB songs, but the crowd went nuts for everything. I think the only song the crowd didn't know terribly well was Miss Sarajevo, but they quickly were into it because of Bono's singing.
I would have liked to have seen more shows where the 2nd night is so different from the first. I'm selfish though, and I did get to see both NZ shows (plus 6 in the US).

Mark

I realize it was probably a great show...but this IS STILL the Vertigo tour isn't it? ATYCLB got more appreciation then HTDAAB did.....kind of silly really. I guess its sort of the Lovetown of the Noneties, or even the Zooropa/Zoomerang, but both of those tours still had lots of stuff from the tour they were tied to (Joshua Tree and ZooTV, obviously) and U2 even said that they'd hated doing Lovetown because they felt like the U2 jukebox. Well they've got the funny coloured lights, I guess that makes them one step closer....

~A.j.~

fandangamoq said:
I realize it was probably a great show...but this IS STILL the Vertigo tour isn't it? ATYCLB got more appreciation then HTDAAB did.....kind of silly really.
~A.j.~

It does seem quite silly, but when taking into consideration that Australia and new zealand didn't have the Elevation tour, it was kind of to be expected that there would be some extensive ATYCLB representation.

It did feel and does seem like a greatest hits tour in retrospect. Indeed, this factor meant little to me for the sheer fact that I was finally able to see U2 for the first time and it didn't really matter to me personally what they played. I was more than satisfied with hearing so many of the classics.

That said, it does feel a little bit underwhelming that there was such little Bomb representation. I reckon All Because Of You would have been better recieved by the audience than Saints. I also think it would have been very cool to hear Yahweh, Crumbs and Original.....just to reinforce the idea that this is the Vertigo tour.

Had we had the Elevation tour, I dare say that the 5th leg Vertigo setlists would have starkly contrasted with what they ultimately turned out to be.

On a personal level, the next time I see U2 I'd probably be hoping for at least 6 songs from their most recent album , and not a greatest hits show.

intedomine said:

I reckon All Because Of You would have been better recieved by the audience than Saints.

Saints went down a treat in Auckland, especially Auckland 2. It felt like people actually knew the words.

They're unlikely to be promoting a greatest hits album at the same time as a tour leg in the future.

I'd actually never heard Saints before I saw the Melbourne shows... it didn't take me long to learn the chorus though. :D And it does go off in a very good way.
And I'd never heard Window in the Skies until I was pressing my ear to the door of the Corner Hotel in Richmond... *L*

So only 3 songs at the last show -- but you have to remember they haven't been around in 13 years to play... they're going to Tokyo and Hawaii, both which haven't been played in a while.

To just play BOMB material and nothing else, seems rather a jip, because these people missed out on Elevation, and a few oldies. I think it makes more sense for them to play older stuff and then the next tour play previous Bomb material.

setlistfrom25th.jpg

Not my scan.

Love and Peace was on the setlist....

Back
Top Bottom