Would You Rather

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00Kevin

War Child
U2 go out and really promote the songs from how to dismantle an atomic bomb, or only play a couple of songs from htdaab and play some more hits from... let's say the unforgettable fire or boy?

Personally i would want them to promote the new album because i really really like most of the songs on it.

Personally I don't think Miracle Drug or ABOY take the roof off Live, but I'm glad I've heard them live at least once.

So in answer to your question, I don't know.

I Think they should make Original Of the Species and Crumbs staples. if it's at the cost of Yahweh and All Because of You, fine, but not at the expense of rarities.

BEVERLY56 said:
I really think they have it just about right...something from every album.

i guess U2 didnt record zooropa and pop:wink:

U2 needs to heavily promote their new album by playing atleast 6-7 songs from it ever show but only one hit so they should choose:

sometimes
between a man and a women
crumbs
one step closer
original of species
yahweh
vertigo/aboy/cobl/miracle drug

then rotate 15 songs from older albums

but maybe im the only one who doesnt wanna hear hits:huh:

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:
They have to play hits though to satisfy the non-hardcore fans.

if they do that they fall into the rolling stones trap:angry:

and its not like there non-hits are bad

I'm Ready said:

if they do that they fall into the rolling stones trap:angry:

and its not like there non-hits are bad

How in the world does:

Playing popular songs the audience want to hear = becoming the Rolling Stones

:huh:

Should U2 just go out there and play Boy and October in full to satisfy five of us and piss off the rest of the crowd who, if they're lucky, knew two or three songs?

Axver said:

How in the world does:

Playing popular songs the audience want to hear = becoming the Rolling Stones

:huh:

Should U2 just go out there and play Boy and October in full to satisfy five of us and piss off the rest of the crowd who, if they're lucky, knew two or three songs?

i just think the rolling stones play completely hits to satisfy houndreds of fans who payed alotta money to come to the show

and U2 starting to do the same thing:(

im not saying play all of october here:wink:

but mix in more unknown songs like a sort of homecoming, love is blindess and so on, while cutting out songs theve played forever such as bullet the blue sky and pride

i also think they need to play more of the unknown songs from htdaab to promote the album better

Take my advice: go and see a band who you don't know really well. One who you only have the Best Of or their 'classic' album. Guess what songs you'll enjoy the most?

The same classics you're bitching about U2 playing.

Axver said:
Take my advice: go and see a band who you don't know really well. One who you only have the Best Of or their 'classic' album. Guess what songs you'll enjoy the most?

The same classics you're bitching about U2 playing.

meh maybe if the tickets were cheaper and they let fans know it wasnt gonna be an all hits show it would be nice:wink:

Edit: not to say that cant play some hits

hearing sunday bloody sunday, the fly or until the end of the world is always good

A few more things to say ...

I'm Ready said:

i just think the rolling stones play completely hits to satisfy houndreds of fans who payed alotta money to come to the show

and U2 starting to do the same thing:(

1. The majority of people there aren't diehard fanatics like us. They've paid a stack of money and they feel like they got their money's worth when they hear songs they know: Pride, Streets, One, et cetera. That run of three songs this tour must be really awesome for most people there.

2. How are U2 doing the same thing? This isn't ZooTV, where they're only playing new material and old hits. They've brought back Electric Co., Miss Sarajevo, and An Cat Dubh for goodness' sake!

3. Bullet The Blue Sky is not 'greatest hits' and never has been. Just because they play it every tour doesn't mean it's a hit. It wasn't even a single or on the Best Of!

4. They've played eight songs off HTDAAB. That beats how many were played in full by the whole band from War, UF, and ATYCLB (or if you want to count Wild Honey, which was only played by Bono and Edge, they've equalled ATYCLB and will probably beat it as I expect them to play Crumbs). Out of the eight songs they're playing from HTDAAB, only three are singles (four if you live in the US). So I think they're doing well on playing the 'unknowns' count.

Most fans indeed are there for the songs they know and love. That's what makes the show special for them.

For people like us, they've been doing a good job on this tour by playing some stuff that they hadn't played in a while previously.

Having said that, I think they could mix it up a little better, especially with songs that aren't necessarily huge hits. We've already gotten a taste of this with Miss Sarajevo taking the spot of Running To Stand Still. Another candidate for a switch every now and then is obviously Bullet The Blue Sky. Plus, in the spot where they have been playing either I Will Follow or Out Of Control lately, they could always blow us away and switch it over to something like 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, or even a Zooropa/Pop tune. How cool would it be to hear Mofo right after Vertigo?

phanan said:
Most fans indeed are there for the songs they know and love. That's what makes the show special for them.

For people like us, they've been doing a good job on this tour by playing some stuff that they hadn't played in a while previously.

Having said that, I think they could mix it up a little better, especially with songs that aren't necessarily huge hits. We've already gotten a taste of this with Miss Sarajevo taking the spot of Running To Stand Still. Another candidate for a switch every now and then is obviously Bullet The Blue Sky. Plus, in the spot where they have been playing either I Will Follow or Out Of Control lately, they could always blow us away and switch it over to something like 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, or even a Zooropa/Pop tune. How cool would it be to hear Mofo right after Vertigo?

:up: Agreed. There are some spots on the set where I think they should add more variety:

- Second: IWF, OOC, 11OTT, ABOY (and put something exciting like 11OTT in ABOY's place), LNOE, Gone, etc.
- Between ISHFWILF and COBL: AIWIY, Bad, WGRYWH, OOTS, One Step Closer, etc.
- After Bullet: RTSS, Miss Sarajevo, Please.
- The entire encore. ZS/Fly/MW one night, Fly/UTEOTW/WGRYH/WOWY the next.
- The closer: Bad, 40, Vertigo, Walk On, etc.

And that still leaves the all important hits parts intact for the casual fan who's dying to hear ISHFWILF, Beautiful Day, Pride, SBS, and One!

Exactly. You still have the biggest hits, you still represent Bomb, and Bono's important part of the show (Pride, WTSHNN, One) is still intact. Plenty of spots for interesting songs to be embedded into.

I like the idea of moving ABOY up to second and in it's place goes 11OTT, especially when it's usually about 11pm local time at that moment! :wink:

phanan said:
Exactly. You still have the biggest hits, you still represent Bomb, and Bono's important part of the show (Pride, WTSHNN, One) is still intact. Plenty of spots for interesting songs to be embedded into.

I like the idea of moving ABOY up to second and in it's place goes 11OTT, especially when it's usually about 11pm local time at that moment! :wink:

Hey, good spotting with the 11OTT bit - I didn't even realise that!

See what I did here: http://forum.interference.com/t135316.html I pretty much just ran with this idea and created some varied but still reasonable and realistic sets.

Back
Top Bottom