Wich 5 songs from the Vertigo 05\06 tour should be cut on the next tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Elevation...vertigo should remain, no more room for vertigo and elevation and rocker from next album
Pride...getting kind of boring
ABOY...see you later
BTBS...let love and peace take it's place in the set
Stuck in a Moment...i really could live without this song

I don't really get how some of you guys think ISHFWILF should be replaced...are you judging this from the bootlegs, or did you actually hear it live....i think it is awesome live, especially when bono lets the crowd sing

ABOY
Yahweh
Bullet

those were the only subpar songs last night, and on most of the people's lists Streets, Sunday Bloody Sunday, One, and Pride were highlights for me, and it was my first show.

I would've felt cheated if I heard some half-assed version of another song

Pride (but I don't think it's going anywhere)
I Still Haven't Found...
Stuck in a Moment
With or Without You (but it probably stays at least a semi-regular)
I Will Follow (tremendous during Elevation, now a little tired -- I'd put it in a rotation with Out of Control and even Gloria)

Sunday Bloody Sunday -- with its new 9/11 implications -- is now a fixture, I think. One is probably their signature song now and also lends its name to The One Campaign, Bono's passion, so it's not going anywhere. And Streets remains their ultimate live song, something the band always says. They thought about dropping it for Popmart but realized they can't.

jon_lemire said:
And Streets remains their ultimate live song, something the band always says. They thought about dropping it for Popmart but realized they can't.

Actually it was this tour they thought about dropping Streets, not Popmart. They were not going to play it until Bono thought the lyrics could apply to Africa also. So it was added with the flag intro. Its always a great song, but this tours version is the weakest they have done IMO. Not saying it will get dropped (actually I'm not saying anything in my original post will get dropped, just stating what I would wouldnt mind going and giving a reason why. Its the point of this thread). Also, they thought about dropping Pride for Popmart. Maybe that is what you were thinking of when you mentioned Streets.

I always thought the extended Streets on the Popmart tour was sooo cool.
Really hope next time they do something like that again with Streets.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. WOWY has indeed become another song they should cut next time.

1. Bullet
2. Pride
3. Love and Peace Or Else
4. 40
5. I Still Haven't Found . . .

1. Elevation - just play something else. Anything.
2. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - so uninspiring live.
3. With Or Without You - just when I thought they'd dropped it for good :p
4. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - ugh.
5. City Of Blinding Lights - naaaah.
Other stuff:

The Fly should only be played very rarely. It would be a huge crowd pleaser if it was played in onlly one of ten shows or something.
Beautiful Day just needs a bit of rotation, it doesn't feel special.
I Will Follow and The Electric Co. are timeless classics and because of their upbeat tempo the crowd will never grow tired of them I think. Are any of you not jumping when hearing these?
Streets should never be cut. But it should have another place in the setlist (have you ever thought of it closing?)
I don't care too much for One but thousands will miss it.
And Sunday Bloody Sunday should never be truly dropped.

no song should be exempt from cutting...

seriously, this band has way too many "indespensible hits"

if you can say "that song should never be cut" about any song you can say it about every song.

that makes for a boring show.
I think they should really try to do a show without Streets and Pride. Just once. See what happens.

Of course it would be one or the other. THere is no way they would omit both. NO WAY.

thought they should have the balls to play whatever the hell they want. You can't please everyone all the time. When I go see a show from another band, I just assume they aren't going to play all the songs I want to hear (i can't think of any great examples, but when I went to see weezer last time and they didn't play ONLY IN DREAMS (which is sort of their own Bad/Streets epic live track) I was a bit let down, but I just understood that they rotate the setlist. And I can respect that.

If they don't play streets, the nondiehards shouldn't get upset. They just witnessed the best show they will ever see. I doubt they will be that upset. WOWY is a huge favorite for most people (for non die hards, I would say even bigger than Streets) and that song gets many extended breaks.

At the shows I have been to where that song wasn't played, I have heard people react (darn! no Wowy) to its omission, but they still look ecstatic. Because they heard 25 other great songs.

my girlfriend does the same when they don't play Bad (which i personally think should replace streets) she says "darn. No Bad. Oh well. That was awesome!"

and then I thank god I have a girlfriend who humors my obsession with a rock band. BUt that is beside the point.:huh:

Elevation
Original of the Species
One
Still Haven't Found
Bullet the Blue

revised

1. Love And Peace, one of the weakest HTDAAB songs and the worst 'war' song.
2. Wowy, plain boring these last 3 tours
3. any and all acoustic song/s.
4. One, far from everyone actually thinks this is their best song, and it have sounded the same way since 1992.
5. Still Haven't Found.

Hmmm... tough to talk about this without acknowledging that the band probably won't tinker with the core Vertigo setlist at all for 2006.

The only time they've altered their pattern for a subsequent tour of "distant lands" was LoveTown, and even that kept certain linked elements and just moved the big pieces around.

2006 almost certainly will see the "Sometimes through One" segment. I think Vertigo as No. 1 or 2 will hold, as will Elevation at No. 3 or 4 (the crowd interaction is too juicy for them to give up until every man, woman and child on the planet has seen it).

The spots ripe for change are just the ones in which we've already seen change: in the area between the opening barrage and Sometimes. They'll keep Beautiful Day, but we could see a variety of Achtung Baby tracks, ISHFWILF, NYD, Original, etc. stuck in there.

The other part is the encore, which seems to be fully in flux. Even ABOY has been absent on occasion.

So don't expect the band to redraw the show for the 2006 tour, but they may throw in some more Pop and a few Crumbs.

Back
Top Bottom