Why no WOWY?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was just wondering this today about WOWY. It slipped my mind about this song on the tour so far and when I was listening to JT tour from Oakland in 87 I thought...hey where is WOWY on Vertigo? I then went looking for a copy of it from San Diego 2 and I can't find it anywhere. All the ysi links are toast. In fact I have every other song from that night but that song for some reason. It has eluded me and now I'm on a quest!

Does anyone have a copy or know of one somewhere that they could slide this way? Thanks.

menelaos said:

When I use the word hit I mean that I can
find no reason for these songs to be played live...Can you tell me one..?

One reason given by the band was that these songs fit well with some of the new songs being played.

To me, another reason would be that it's just great to see them playing something completely different from Boy after such a long time.

Like a lot of others here, I'd love to see them give Acrobat, Hawkmoon 269 and a few other 'stuck in the vaults' tracks a blast, but to be honest I'll be quite happy with whatever I get when they arrive in Australia next year as I always have been when I've seen them in the UK and other parts of Europe.

Looks like many people do not agree with me...Why don't we do what regularguy wrote...If we ask the people that come to watch U2 perform what song they prefer to listen to what do you think they 'll say..?
Into The Heart or WOWY..?
Or do you think that at the start of the year when people rushed to buy their tickets rushed because they wanted to hear these songs..?
You may say that I'm a "U2 hits fan" but it's not like this...
I will go to see them in Rome and Milan and I will enjoy every note they play..From the first to the last...
I only have this complaint, that the Vertigo setlist is not what I expected to be...

well, for me, WOWY is the song with which i feel most emotionally connected. even if they butcher it completely, i still want to hear it, just because the song means so much to me. hearing it in a live setting would be absolutely amazing, and something i've been waiting for for most of my life. and i hope that somehow it makes it into the set for one of the shows i'm going to, just to satisfy that need.

i don't expect it to happen though, sadly.

I think that not only Bono´s voice is weaker, but Larry´s drumming during the JT tour and Lovetown versions was really amazing, so powerful. also Edge´s guitar used to be much more stronger. It is like they are playing a lazier version since.

namkcuR said:
Dude, the one performance of WOWY on this tour so far was probably the single best performance of it since ZooTV. Certainly it can't be compared to the JT tour versions or the ZooTV versions, but it's not total crap. The one performance sounded about 500% better than any version on the Elevation tour.

Dude, I just listened to it for the first time on the bootleg. I had always hit the skip button...

and it's crap! Sounds exactly like the crappy Elevation versions. The only thing that makes that song good anymore live is the Stars tag. I heard it in Popmart St. Louis and that night WOWY was awesome. Subpar every other time I've heard it on Popmart and Elevation (and apparently on Vertigo too).

GG_The_Fly said:
With or without you has been played at one lousy show. . . WTF? I'm all for BOY to be played and what not, but i feel like after shelling out four figures for tickets, we've earned the rights for the essentials to be played more than 10% of the time. . . i'm sure others have posted, but my quick scan couldn't find any. . . i am totally confused. . . :tsk:

It's called the song has been played to f**king death. So has Pride and Bullet (though bullet was actually good between Buffallo and 3rd leg of Elevation).

WOWY was pretty good in SD, but it was good because it was unexpected.

IMO, there are no songs that cannot be sacrificed, with the possible exception of Streets.

One persons says they must play WOWY, others says ISHFWILF, Bullet, Angel, Desire, One, EBTTRT, NYD, Pride, SBS, IWF, Walk On, BD, Elevation and Bad.

Whoops. We're at 15 songs....what's that leave 5-7 slots for new songs.

Oh wait, someone else needs to hear The Fly and UTEOTW.

Well Hell, I want A Sort Of Homecoming, UF, IGC, Exit, God Part 2, Acrobat, Daddy, Two Hearts, Like A Song, Do You Feel Loved, Hawkmoon and One Tree Hill. But there's no room for any of them, because someone wants to hear all the "classics." Sorry if you never saw them before, but that's the breaks. I missed out on all the above by not seeing U2 before ZooTV. That's the way it is. If one wants an oldies act, may I suggest the Rolling Stones?

There are no required songs.

For the person who says that WOWY sounds the same, I suggest you go back and watch Boston and then watch Zoo or R&H. Bono's vocal is much different. Also, WOWY without Stars is uninspiring.

Personally, I'd like them to limit the normal standards to no more than 4 or 5/night (which isn't to say that there aren't other known songs played), play 8-10 new songs (Mercy Mercy MERCY) and use the other 7 slots to play a rotating set of older less commonly played songs (which might include WOWY next tour if they keep it off the set most nights this tour).

Kevin

I like WOWY, it made me a fan back in '87. But the live version just doesn't cut it anymore. And I don't even blame Bono's vocals since he gets drowned out by the audience anyway. Besides, if he can't sing it in the key of D flat, go for a lower key. Just as they did with Pride and Sunday bloody sunday.
But I blame the entire band for making it a lackluster version. During Zoo TV it was really rocking but come Popmart it got played slower and Larry's drums only fully kick in near the end. No more shine like stars or love will tear us apart. Only a repeat of whoahoo and the chorus line. And they dropped even the repeat of the chorusline halfway through Elevation. Live the song still has enough magic left in it to sparkle, but its a far cry of what it used to be. So if they want to do it, play a good version, not something hall assed. If not, play something else instead where their hearts are fully in it.

Because they don't want Adam to steal the show. ;)

"Vertigo" the bass is more prominent in the chorus "City," "Sometimes...alone," "Love & Peace (well Adam's bass lines right before Edge's solo, shaked the arena the 2 nights I heard it live) "New Year's Day" signature song, . Does that walkabout during "Streets" this tour. Add "With or Without You" another bass driving song.

;)

Probably just to mix things up, see what works what doesn't. They didn't play "New Year's Day" for that Boston gig that became the tour DVD, so maybe they're just seeing what flows better with the new material.

with or without you has to go down as one of my favorites, no one has the right to say its rubbish. Those people are not real fans wowy should have a special part in everyones heart. i tell you a lot of you should act like a u2 fan and stop ridicualing them. i hope they play wowy at twickenham and also BAD would be a absolute treat

bonovox1972 said:
i tell you a lot of you should act like a u2 fan and stop ridicualing them.

:applaud:

Well said bonovox! I hope they play WOWY at Twickenham aswell. Stuck, Kite, Wild Horses and Electrical Storm would be nice too!:wink:

WOWY is my all time favorite song - period. I love it live and I have seen it performed in alot since my first concert in 1987 - but as much as I love it - it needs a re-working like the new "Fly Treatment" not to rock it out - but give it new life musically - new rhythmn - a new beat - a new tempo would be nice...Edge you hearing me...in time for the 3rd leg???:wave: :sexywink:

bonovox1972 said:
with or without you has to go down as one of my favorites, no one has the right to say its rubbish. Those people are not real fans wowy should have a special part in everyones heart. i tell you a lot of you should act like a u2 fan and stop ridicualing them. i hope they play wowy at twickenham and also BAD would be a absolute treat

Someone asked me about a year ago what I thought was the greatest pop/rock song in the post-Beatles era (since 1970).

Now, I like an awful lot of stuff in addition to (indeed, some as much as -- sorry) U2 and it was a hard question. In any event, after thinking about it for a long long time, I picked With or Without You. And I continue to believe it to this day.

I never tire of hearing it in concert. That said, if the band doesn't want to play it, or have tired of it, or don't think it fits with what it's trying to achieve, I don't want to hear it. As I mentioned above, a U2 show to me is so much more than a collection of songs. Pacing, themes, the band's excitement, and the way the songs relate is what makes the difference for an over-the-top show. I love WOWY, but the addition or absence of any one (or even several) songs from the setlist doesn't make or break any show for me.

I love WOWY, and although it may not be as good as previous tours, this will be my first one and I would love to hear them play it..particularly with the added verse "We'll shine like stars..."

bonovox1972 said:

Yep, everyone has to agree on a certain song. Let's all be mindless sheep now and bow before the alter of WOWY. :rolleyes:

As I said, WOWY is one of my absolute favourite songs live on the JT, Lovetown, and ZooTV tours. It's just incredible - it soars, it's majestic, and it is absolute musical brilliance that no other band could ever equal. Today, it just sucks. Bono can't sing it and as has been pointed out by others who are more knowledgeable about the technical aspects of music, the band aren't even playing it right. It just sounds lazy and sloppy, like U2 are only dragging it out to appeal to the selfish "I want hits!!!!" crowd who don't want to be challenged to enjoy new things.

I agree as much as anyone else that I don't want an "all hits" tour. WOWY was kind of "cut short" on both the Elevation and Pop tours - that Bono maybe didn't do the song justice vocally. But this isn't just a hit - its one of U2's greatest songs (IMO) and fans (casual or not) - many would like to hear it. I don't have to hear both ISHFWILF or WOWY - but I would have liked to hear one of them at at least one of the two Denver shows. I'm holding out for maybe it being played third leg of the tour?

Last edited:
I hope it will come back soon. The Elevation versions were an improvement over Popmart that ruined the song IMO.

The "Bono can't sing it properly now" comment is a bit odd to say the least.

I believe that when the band comes back to the U.S. in the third leg, we will see a rotation between Pride and WOWY.

I believe it was Paul Mc or Willie who was saying that he was looking forward between the transition of WOWY and Streets

I agree with Axver.

I predicted this song would be a rarity this tour for the fact that Bono cannot sing it like he used to.

That said, I actually long to hear it played more, not because I think it sounds good, but for the simple fact that it would provide some varity to these setlists. It's a good sing along too.

Bono is annoyed by Paul Martin of lying of Bono.Bono lie to rest of the world the lack of performance he make during this tour.

This setlist is only a garbage.They should dropped the song Gloria,The Ocean,Zoo Station,Mysterious Ways,The Electric Co.,An Cat Dubh-Into The Heart for the song Gone,Kite,UTEOTW,wALK oN,WOWY.

Axver said:
Today, it (WOWY) just sucks. Bono can't sing it and as has been pointed out by others who are more knowledgeable about the technical aspects of music, the band aren't even playing it right. It just sounds lazy and sloppy

I agree 110% on this view. The 'steam' just isn't there anymore and as much as I hate to say it WOWY would be a trip-to-the-bathroom-song for me. I love this tune, but I think it's run it's course... :(

IMO this applies to a few other classics... ie: Pride... :|

Re: Re: Why no WOWY?

kcrays said:

IMO, there are no songs that cannot be sacrificed, with the possible exception of Streets.

Also, WOWY without Stars is uninspiring.

Personally, I'd like them to limit the normal standards to no more than 4 or 5/night (which isn't to say that there aren't other known songs played), play 8-10 new songs (Mercy Mercy MERCY) and use the other 7 slots to play a rotating set of older less commonly played songs (which might include WOWY next tour if they keep it off the set most nights this tour).
Kevin

Kevin- I hear what you're saying but i have to and, respectfully, of course, disagree. . .

WOWY is the *only* #1 song that U2 have had in the United States, and while that is not the guage, per se, of quality music by any stretch, it should demonstrate that this is clearly one of their most popular songs, EVER. . .

That WOWY sounds uninspiring without the 'Stars" verse is absolute insanity - i mean, i fully agree that they are currently playing a weaker version and that the edge's chords and larry's drumming could stand to be a lot tighter, let alone Bono's vocals, but this extra verse is not necessary for WOWY to sound great.

I've been to U2 shows since i was 8 at the JT concert at Sun Devil's stadium and have seen them > 30 times, and this is one of the songs that I look forward to each and every time, regardless of the level of performance that U2 brings to the table. As others have said, the U2 <-> audience interaction on that song transcends the mechanics. . .

And, by no means, do i think the band should play this song every night - but if i see four shows, i would like to know that i will hear WOWY at least once.

If they stop playing WTSHNN, well, then i might just riot. . . :wink:

Re: Re: Re: Why no WOWY?

GG_The_Fly said:

That WOWY sounds uninspiring without the 'Stars" verse is absolute insanity - i mean, i fully agree that they are currently playing a weaker version and that the edge's chords and larry's drumming could stand to be a lot tighter, let alone Bono's vocals, but this extra verse is not necessary for WOWY to sound great.

Yes, it is necessary. It is the only thing that prevents post-1993 versions from being a total abomination.

Last edited:
To whoever said WOWY was U2's only US #1, have you heard of a little number called I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why no WOWY?

djerdap said:

Yes, it is necessary. It is the only thing that prevents post-1993 versions from being a total abomination.

Abomination?? A little melodramatic. IMO, they should play WOWY if only for the audiences reaction.. I think it will be played in the Stadiums and esp in the UK as I'm sure everyone at those UK gigs will want to hear it.. and for people like me who have never been to a U2 concert before and want to hear the big classic songs!

P.S Please dont flame me! My opinion is all! :)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why no WOWY?

lisa2004 said:

Abomination?? A little melodramatic. IMO, they should play WOWY if only for the audiences reaction.. I think it will be played in the Stadiums and esp in the UK as I'm sure everyone at those UK gigs will want to hear it.. and for people like me who have never been to a U2 concert before and want to hear the big classic songs!

P.S Please dont flame me! My opinion is all! :)

I agree, there are people going to a U2 concert for the first time who want to hear WOWY, long time and casual fans.

Back
Top Bottom