Why no New Year's Day?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djerdap

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I'm surprised there is no NYD for 3 shows in a row. The song had a lot of energy and it featured Adam in a leading role - seemed like one of the not so tired classics.
But, maybe they are keeping it for the second night; in a combo with Until the End of the World. Just a guess...

Last edited:
djerdap said:
But, maybe they are keeping it for the second night; in a combo with Until the End of the World. Just a guess...

That combo is classic. Looks like they're just doing a little spot of rotating right now. Tho why they leave out NYD and UTEOTW, and then play Vertigo twice, just baffles me.
Nostalgia going too far if you ask me.

Yes, I was at all 4 Chicago shows. I wouldn't say it made a big deal not to have it at Chicago 4, however at 1-3 it rocked the house!!! It still is played to perfection and the crowd loves it. Other songs should be dropped before it...hopefully they'll start NYD for something else.

Can't freaking wait for tonight's show. first one this tour....This day will go by slowwwwwww.....

If NYD wasn't played last night, I'll bet it gets played tonight.

the thing is, they dropped NYD in NJ but they didn't add anything else in it's place. i really wanted to hear NYD last night too. would much prefer to see that over SBS or Bullet or even Pride.

I don't know why they dropped it because it has been a standard over the years. Maybe, his voice is weakening and needs a break to save it for the rest of the tour..

It better be back on Nov 1, 2005!

If it was from fans complaining, I will personally hold those responsible if it doesn't make the setlist that night! :shifty: ;)

I dunno, in a way, Adam's often had a lead role in that song, the second he starts the bass line, the crowd goes nuts! LA2 was the first time he made a walk around the ellipse during NYD, and maybe others who were there could vouch, didn't the crowd go crazy. The loudest crowd reaction seemed to be during "Streets" but "NYD" was almost at that level.

New Years Day is still great, it should be played. Now that Adam is moving around so much, it's even better.

For the love of God drop "Bullet the Blue Sky". At least don't play it every night, rotate it out once in awhile. I like Edge's new bluesy solo but it doesnt beat the old one (especially ZooTV) and with no Bono rant, it's not the same.

fp said:
the thing is, they dropped NYD in NJ but they didn't add anything else in it's place. i really wanted to hear NYD last night too. would much prefer to see that over SBS or Bullet or even Pride.

But this is standard U2 touring practice. When they cut something from the setlist its less likely to be replaced by something else. They cut a lot of songs from the Elevation setlist as they returned to the US for leg 3. In Popmart Miami was eventually cut and nothing replaced it. The list goes on.
I suspect that as tours develop the show gets longer and longer. Now maybe its that the touring schedule demands that no later then a certain time everything has to be packed and ready to move out. Or maybe Bono's voice can't handle more then 2 hours straight so something has to give.

Back
Top Bottom