Why Love & Peace is a bad opener...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lazarus

Blue Crack Supplier
While I applaud U2's desire to shake things up this time around (or perhaps they weren't convinced COBL was doing its job), there are a couple things fundamentally wrong with LPOE as a show opener.

First off, the beat of the song is a bit of a "shuffle", which is only underlined by the guitar. While Zoo Station has a similar beat, the guitar is completely different and gets things moving faster. MOFO and Elevation, by comparison, were very high energy openers which need no explanation.

You then have the "building" openers like Streets and COBL. While many felt COBL wasn't appropriate for an opener, at least the beat is driving and doesn't let up. By contrast, and this leads into my second point, LPOE has too many moments where the beat drops out for some kind of breakdown. Unfortunately, the first one comes right after the first verse, right before the big riff comes in. It's a bit too early in a concert to suck all the percussive life out of the place. The beat also drops off before the guitar solo, which again loses some momentum.

The last reason I feel this song shouldn't open is because the band's presentation of it is too gimmicky to be so early. Larry on the drums at the tip, Bono taking over with the headband...it's something that was well-conceived but should occur later in the set. Do you want to be confusing people halfway before the first song's over? You want people caught up in the energy of the band, not wondering why band members are running from one instrument to another.

I don't know how it came off in person, but listening to the MP3s I don't think this is the answer to the opener question. Perhaps COBL isn't the ideal kickoff, but the bridge with the "ooohhs" and the "Oh you look so beautiful tonight" is a lot more appropriate than LPOE. I think it gets the crowd involved as it's a lot catchier of a song, and as I mentioned before, it doesn't have a breakdown/middle eight that slows things down.

If anything, they could try All Because of You and just rock out that way. But last night's idea should be written off as a novelty that doesn't fit. We'll see if the band tries it one more time, goes back to the original plan, or changes yet again...

laz

Last edited:
i thought it was an excellent opener. . . the crowd went CRAZY when the intro went on!

that being said, the performance of COBL last night wasn't that great, it would have soudned better at the front end

I'm not a big fan of LAPOE as a starter, either. And as much as I absolutely love COBL, I don't know that's the best one, either.

I love the idea of the confetti coming down during COBL, and it's got that awesome "Oh! You! Look! etc." bit that's great for jumping up and down and screaming along to, the rest of the song is a bit too laid back.

Not sure what I'd replace it with, though. "Vertigo," maybe? Too obvious?

I was there last night and LAPOE just rocked. Better than the experience that I had at SD 1.

COBL does have a little more of the magic to it but one thing that the LAPOE opening did was take the focus away from that awful curtain of lights...it was just that band without the effects.

If they try it again tonight, it will interesting what they do in Los Angeles on Tuesday night to break the tie. Or maybe they'll try a third option.

Perhaps some think I'm trying to intellectualize this too much, but does anyone agree/disagree with the points I was trying to make about the rhythm of LPOE and the gimmicky nature of the perf being that early? Perhaps people who are big fans or are really into the new album are digging it, but I'm just not seeing this as something that is fully reeling in the arena audience. Of course people are going to be cheering no matter what, but on a subconscious level or in retrospect, it might not be remembed as that powerful.

The song is also too heavy in its statement to be that early. Imagine Bullet the Blue Sky (which it's similar to in theme and style) opening a show--not as effective as it would normally be.

People have been speaking of LPOE as the highlight of the show. Wouldn't you WANT the highlight to be closer to the middle?

laz

i also believe LAPOE should be somewhere in the middle or end of the concert because its probably the best performance from the new album and its a waste to make it that early.. plus the trilogy of anti war songs should come before the declaration of human rights, or at least some where around it

i wasn't there but ive listened to all 3 shows now
lpoe was the best opener. cobl is just trundling along and they know it.
but follow up LAPOE with a rocker like eletric or vertigo

I get what you're saying, Lazarus, and I think I agree. "Gimmick" might be too trivial a word, but I think you're right that it's a little odd to put that right at the start of the show.

its not the ideal, i think they are still searching for that. i think its definetly better than cobl thoug.

it will all be resolved in a week or two when they dust off until the end of the world open with it and follow with i will follow, and electric co.

brwh1 said:
i wasn't there but ive listened to all 3 shows now
lpoe was the best opener. cobl is just trundling along and they know it.
but follow up LAPOE with a rocker like eletric or vertigo

you say "trundling", I say galloping. It might not be an intense gallop, but it doesn't let up over the course of the song.

LPOE is too start and stop to be a truly successful opener. And the beat is this sick groove that's amazing in the middle of an album or show, but not at the beginning. Again, it's like having Bullet open the show.

laz

Flying FuManchu said:
COBL as an opener in the future sounds good (like when it gets airplay). Maybe as encore opener.

What does airplay have to do with it? Zoo Station didn't have airplay, Mofo didn't have airplay...that's ridiculous.

lazarus said:
Again, it's like having Bullet open the show.

Bullet, I think, is one of the best openers U2 has ever used, with the loud, vicious intro and the solo. Heaps of rocking energy in that tune and perfect to kick off a show.

I've only listened to LAPOE once as an opener so that's not really much to form an opinion, but I think it sounded great. Its intro suits the opening spot for sure; sounds better there than coming after SYCMIOYO. That said, I don't think it could top COBL as an opener. If they want to do that, they should just bring back Streets, 11 O'clock Tick Tock, Hawkmoon 269, or maybe God Part II to the opening position.

I've wanted to hear LAPOE as the opener since I first heard the album.

But....I would love to hear it go directly into Sunday Bloody Sunday as well.

My personal comprimise was to have it open the encore, followed by SBS. I'm not holding out much hope for that.

i always thought love peace is the best encore opener, i was sure they'd have opened every night with vertigo, but city was ok. i don't know how much love peace is good as opener, but it seems obvious they gonna rotate the openers, maybe in los angeles they will open with another different track, that's how the tour is going, there's absolutely no standard setlist like in the past

I pretty much completely agree with you on all points, Laz. I thought COBL worked really well as an opener.

I didn't like the idea of Love and Peace or Else opening until I heard the bootleg. It rocked and the crowd was going absolutely insane. But I liked City of Blinding Lights too. And I think Vertigo would make an acceptable opener too.

i think change is good

the best set IMO so far is Anaheim 2

would yous be happy if it was the same set every night??

sumtimes people are NEVER happy

go to the show enjoy it ....

BB Mac

bcrt2000 said:
i also believe LAPOE should be somewhere in the middle or end of the concert because its probably the best performance from the new album and its a waste to make it that early.. plus the trilogy of anti war songs should come before the declaration of human rights, or at least some where around it

I was there, and let me tell you, when the lights went out, the low bass of "LAPOE" kicked in, and the band walked out in darkness, shining spotlights on the whole crowd, the whole place went absolutely ape. And they just kept getting better.

They played the trilogy of war songs, and then Running, and the declaration came. Perfection.

Last edited:
jphelmet said:
its not the ideal, i think they are still searching for that. i think its definetly better than cobl thoug.

it will all be resolved in a week or two when they dust off until the end of the world open with it and follow with i will follow, and electric co.

That's a wicked idea but I think you'd have to have an Atomic Bomb song sooner in the set. Either Vertigo or All Because of You right after I Will Follow. Great idea opening with UTEOTW though.

Visually COBL is a better opener. It grabs a lot more attention when used with the 'cannon confetti' and not the 'trickle' from the rafters. Bono on the drum is an ace and should not be played on the first hand.

Judging mainly from the Anaheim 1 boot...

The Intro sinister 'Everyone' voice with the coughing and everything, seguing right into the dark, brooding guitar and bass of LAPOE is just BAD-ASS. It's a BAD-ASS, KICK-ASS opener and I hope they keep it that way. They keep opening with it, it will come to have the same impact that Zoo Station and Mofo had as openers.

I was at San Diego 1 and Anaheim 2 and Love and Peace was far and a way a better way to open the show. After sayinig that I would rather it not be the opener because it is the highlight of the show. It should be later down the set list if not in the encore. As far as openers, Vertigo, although obvious, would still be awesome. I do hope they keep changing the order of the songs. It keeps the suspense for us big fans.

Back
Top Bottom