Why don't U2 do this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
The following are NOT real sets. I do not have the setlists for the upcoming five shows in advance! This is just me wondering why U2 don't do what I have outlined below. For the most part, it is variety they have already done this tour, and if it isn't, it includes songs they have played in the last five years, or in two cases are songs unplayed from the current album.

2005-07-29 - Gothenburg, Sweden - Ullevi Stadion

1. Vertigo
2. I Will Follow
3. The Electric Co.
4. Elevation
5. New Year's Day
6. Beautiful Day
7. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
8. All I Want Is You
9. City Of Blinding Lights
10. Miracle Drug
11. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
12. Love And Peace Or Else
13. Sunday Bloody Sunday
14. Bullet The Blue Sky
15. Running To Stand Still
--- Human Rights Thingy ---
16. Pride
17. Where The Streets Have No Name
18. One
--- Break ---
19. Zoo Station
20. The Fly
21. Mysterious Ways
--- Break ---
22. All Because Of You
23. Yahweh
24. Vertigo

2005-07-31 - Copenhagen, Denmark - Parken Stadium

1. Vertigo
2. Out Of Control
3. The Electric Co.
4. Elevation
5. New Year's Day
6. Beautiful Day
8. Bad
10. Miracle Drug
13. Sunday Bloody Sunday
14. Bullet The Blue Sky
15. Miss Sarajevo
16. Pride
18. One
--- Break ---
19. Until The End Of The World
20. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
21. With Or Without You
--- Break ---
22. All Because Of You
23. Original Of The Species
24. 40

2005-08-03 - Munich, Germany - Olympiastadion

1. Vertigo
2. 11 O'clock Tick Tock
3. The Electric Co.
4. Elevation
5. New Year's Day
6. Beautiful Day
8. Original Of The Species
10. Miracle Drug
13. Sunday Bloody Sunday
14. Bullet The Blue Sky
15. Please
16. Where The Streets Have No Name
17. Crumbs From Your Table
18. One
--- Break ---
19. The Fly
20. Until The End Of The World
21. Even Better Than The Real Thing
--- Break ---
22. All Because Of You
23. Gloria
24. Yahweh
25. Bad/40

2005-08-05 - Nice, France - Parc des Sports Charles Ehrmann

1. Vertigo
2. Gone
3. The Electric Co.
4. Elevation
5. Beautiful Day
6. Until The End Of The World
7. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
8. City Of Blinding Lights
9. Miracle Drug
10. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
11. Love And Peace Or Else
12. Sunday Bloody Sunday
13. Bullet The Blue Sky
14. Miss Sarajevo
15. Running To Stand Still
16. Bad
18. One
--- Break ---
19. The Fly
20. Mysterious Ways
21. With Or Without You
--- Break ---
22. All Because Of You
23. Yahweh
24. Vertigo

2005-08-07 - Barcelona, Spain - Camp Nou

1. Vertigo
2. All Because Of You
3. Out Of Control
4. Elevation
5. Even Better Than The Real Thing
6. Beautiful Day
8. One Step Closer
10. Miracle Drug
13. Sunday Bloody Sunday
14. Bullet The Blue Sky
15. Miss Sarajevo
16. Pride
18. One
--- Break ---
19. Zoo Station
20. The Fly
21. Gone
--- Break ---
22. Spanish Eyes
23. Party Girl
24. Original Of The Species
25. Bad/40

These aren't unrealistic - they could very easily play these setlists. The songs that are in these sets that haven't been played yet this tour are either from the current album (Crumbs, OSC), have been rehearsed (EBTTRT, Please), or are two of U2's most frequently played live songs (Gone is the most played song from Pop, 11OTT is one of the fifteen most often performed songs), or in Spanish Eyes's case, was played in Spain last tour and is possible to appear again this tour.

U2 could do these setlists. The diehards get a variety, NONE of the 'essentials' have been touched (i.e. new songs, Streets, One, Beautiful Day) except for Pride in two sets, so the casual fans get what they want to hear, and it keeps things interesting for the band without it being taxing or difficult on the lighting and visuals crew.

Why don't they do this?

Wow, what a fantastic Munich setlist...:drool:

My two cents, since U2 are currently playing one show in a different city, they've fallen into a pattern and flow which they feel is acceptable to a different crowd every night and are able to put on a good show every night, even if it's the same setlist. For the third leg though, especially for the NYC shows, these proposed setlists would be incredible and very realistic...

NumbMacphisto said:
Wow, what a fantastic Munich setlist...:drool:

My two cents, since U2 are currently playing one show in a different city, they've fallen into a pattern and flow which they feel is acceptable to a different crowd every night and are able to put on a good show every night, even if it's the same setlist. For the third leg though, especially for the NYC shows, these proposed setlists would be incredible and very realistic...

That's the very reason that U2 themselves give for the static sets, and it's one I think is legitimate - however, I don't think what I have posted compromises that. I've kept the entire core intact (except for the couple that fiddle with Pride), I've just taken a few slots as rotatable, and made the encore somewhat less static. It keeps the entire theme of the tour and its whole flow alive.

I also think that shows four and five in NYC will have even more variety than this. Heck, Chicago IV did on the first leg!

Axver said:

That's the very reason that U2 themselves give for the static sets, and it's one I think is legitimate - however, I don't think what I have posted compromises that. I've kept the entire core intact (except for the couple that fiddle with Pride), I've just taken a few slots as rotatable, and made the encore somewhat less static. It keeps the entire theme of the tour and its whole flow alive.

I also think that shows four and five in NYC will have even more variety than this. Heck, Chicago IV did on the first leg!

I do see your point. I just think U2 are creatures of habit and once they find something that works, they just go with it. In some cities where they've played two shows, they've only changed two or three songs.

Even with Chicago IV (and I was there, right in front of Edge), all of the songs they played that night had been played on the tour before, except for "Until the End of the World," which they've played a million times before and probably know like the back of their hand. They just played with the order, which turned out beautifully. So perhaps mixing up the flow and order of the songs justfies variety for them, but like I said, I don't see any reason why your proposals couldn't be done at all and it would be amazing if they came true.

Goodness, there is SO MUCH U2 could do.

More! To end the European leg!
(OK, so I'm bored.)

2005-08-09 - San Sebastian, Spain - Estadio Anoeta

1. Vertigo
2. Even Better Than The Real Thing
3. The Electric Co.
4. Elevation
5. New Year's Day
6. Beautiful Day
8. Stuck In A Moment
10. Miracle Drug
13. Sunday Bloody Sunday
14. Bullet The Blue Sky
15. Please
16. Pride
18. One
--- Break ---
19. Until The End Of The World
20. The Fly
21. Mysterious Ways
--- Break ---
22. Spanish Eyes
23. Party Girl
24. A Man And A Woman
25. 40

2005-08-11 - Madrid, Spain - Estadio Vicente Calderon

1. Vertigo
2. All Because Of You
3. Spanish Eyes
4. Elevation
5. Beautiful Day
6. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
7. Bad
8. City Of Blinding Lights
9. Miracle Drug
10. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
11. Love And Peace Or Else
12. Sunday Bloody Sunday
13. Bullet The Blue Sky
14. Running To Stand Still
15. Crumbs From Your Table
16. Pride
18. One
--- Break ---
19. Zoo Station
20. Until The End Of The World
21. New Year's Day
--- Break ---
22. 11 O'clock Tick Tock
23. Yahweh
24. Walk On

2005-08-14 - Lisbon, Portugal - Estadio Jose Alvalade

1. Vertigo
2. The Electric Co.
3. Gloria
4. Elevation
5. New Year's Day
6. Beautiful Day
7. Original Of The Species
8. With Or Without You
10. Miracle Drug
13. Sunday Bloody Sunday
14. Bullet The Blue Sky
15. Miss Sarajevo
16. Pride
18. One
--- Break ---
19. Ultra Violet
20. Even Better Than The Real Thing
21. The Fly
--- Break ---
22. All Because Of You
23. Yahweh
24. Vertigo

Look at all the stuff they could do! It doesn't tamper with the core of the show, it doesn't water down the themes or make it disjointed, it is VERY plausible ... so why not, U2?

NumbMacphisto said:

I do see your point. I just think U2 are creatures of habit and once they find something that works, they just go with it. In some cities where they've played two shows, they've only changed two or three songs.

'Creatures of habit' indeed - in Paris, they swapped one song and dropped another for the second night! They definitely seem to like to stick to what they know, though it certainly wasn't always like that (JT/Lovetown).

Even with Chicago IV (and I was there, right in front of Edge), all of the songs they played that night had been played on the tour before, except for "Until the End of the World," which they've played a million times before and probably know like the back of their hand. They just played with the order, which turned out beautifully. So perhaps mixing up the flow and order of the songs justfies variety for them, but like I said, I don't see any reason why your proposals couldn't be done at all and it would be amazing if they came true.

I brought up Chicago IV because of the changed order, not the addition of UTEOTW, because the order is what really determines the theme and feeling of the show, and for U2, swapping around the order is much more radical than swapping individual songs in rotatable slots like I've done.

By the way, isn't it awesome to be right in front of Edge? I was at Boston II and III and they were two of the most amazing nights of my life. (Boston II, on the rail, Boston III, a few feet away on the ellipse rail)

And to StlElevation: duh, how could I forget? Bono sent me an e-mail just this morning telling me that I'm an incompetent and worthless piece of scum. :wink:

Axver said:

'Creatures of habit' indeed - in Paris, they swapped one song and dropped another for the second night! They definitely seem to like to stick to what they know, though it certainly wasn't always like that (JT/Lovetown).

Oh yeah, especially that Lovetown show where they mixed things up and played the set backwards (I'm totally blanking on the date, I'm sure you know it though...)

Axver said:

By the way, isn't it awesome to be right in front of Edge? I was at Boston II and III and they were two of the most amazing nights of my life. (Boston II, on the rail, Boston III, a few feet away on the ellipse rail)

Oh man, it was the most amazing experience of my life. Going to the show was a complete afterthought too, my one class for the day was canceled, so I decided to randomly check Ticketmaster, pulled up one GA at 2:30 that afternoon, and that night I'm in the freakin' ellipse in front of Edge! Definitely an experience I will never forget. You lucked out though, ellipse both nights :drool:

NumbMacphisto said:
Oh yeah, especially that Lovetown show where they mixed things up and played the set backwards (I'm totally blanking on the date, I'm sure you know it though...)

1 December 1989, Osaka. That setlist owns. :drool:

Oh man, it was the most amazing experience of my life. Going to the show was a complete afterthought too, my one class for the day was canceled, so I decided to randomly check Ticketmaster, pulled up one GA at 2:30 that afternoon, and that night I'm in the freakin' ellipse in front of Edge! Definitely an experience I will never forget. You lucked out though, ellipse both nights :drool:

Hooray for awesome luck! That's a great story. I couldn't believe my luck at Boston II: arrived at the venue at 5pm, the queue was very small, got beeped in, ran into the ellipse, and the rail in front of Edge was empty! It was almost too good to be true! Boston III, the rail in front of Edge was taken, but the ellipse rail was almost totally free. So I just went for the spot near the entrance that looked straight at Edge. That was the show where WGRYWH returned ... :drool: What a night! :rockon:

Axver said:

Hooray for awesome luck! That's a great story. I couldn't believe my luck at Boston II: arrived at the venue at 5pm, the queue was very small, got beeped in, ran into the ellipse, and the rail in front of Edge was empty! It was almost too good to be true! Boston III, the rail in front of Edge was taken, but the ellipse rail was almost totally free. So I just went for the spot near the entrance that looked straight at Edge. That was the show where WGRYWH returned ... :drool: What a night! :rockon:

Wow, that's fantastic luck! Any place in the ellipse is just amazing though, I did a victory lap when I got in there just because it was so surreal. And hearing WGRYWH...:drool:, especially for the first time in 12 years! I hope that becomes a regular staple when the third leg rolls around.

NumbMacphisto said:

Wow, that's fantastic luck! Any place in the ellipse is just amazing though, I did a victory lap when I got in there just because it was so surreal. And hearing WGRYWH...:drool:, especially for the first time in 12 years! I hope that becomes a regular staple when the third leg rolls around.

I'd love to see more of UTEOTW --> WGRYWH ... goodness, it was so incredible when it came back, I went nuts! I was telling everyone nearby just how long it had been since it was last played! (12 August 1992, last full band electric; 24 November 1992, last acoustic) I think my girlfriend paid more attention to me than the song because I was so amusing! :laugh:

If the first encore were Fly/UTEOTW/WGRYWH, I would not complain a single bit!

Axver said:

If the first encore were Fly/UTEOTW/WGRYWH, I would not complain a single bit!

:drool: :drool: :drool:
That would be incredible!!! UTEOTW is my favorite U2 song, so hearing it live for the first time this tour and the first time ever for me was an experience I will never be able to recreate.

But the whole Zoo encore the way they did it in the first leg was great with ZS/Fly/MW, probably my favorite part of the show. Why WOWY comes after The Fly now is kinda boggling to me though...

NumbMacphisto said:

:drool: :drool: :drool:
That would be incredible!!! UTEOTW is my favorite U2 song, so hearing it live for the first time this tour and the first time ever for me was an experience I will never be able to recreate.

It's one of my favourite songs too, and when they busted it out at Boston II ... I went nuts! And then the first Out Of Control of the tour next! My friend and I jumped so high that we nearly launched ourselves over the rail and got tapped back by security for being over-exuberant!

But the whole Zoo encore the way they did it in the first leg was great with ZS/Fly/MW, probably my favorite part of the show. Why WOWY comes after The Fly now is kinda boggling to me though...

That was indeed great! I LOVE the intro to Zoo Station, that's so awesome. I just don't get Fly --> WOWY either ... completely bizarre transition. MW was far better in that spot.

Axver said:

It's one of my favourite songs too, and when they busted it out at Boston II ... I went nuts! And then the first Out Of Control of the tour next! My friend and I jumped so high that we nearly launched ourselves over the rail and got tapped back by security for being over-exuberant!

Oh man, the "impromptu" Out of Control?!?! Damn you're lucky! That's pretty funny about the security. I asked the security guy at Chicago IV for the setlist and was lucky enough to get it.

Did you get to hear Bad in one of the Boston shows? That, and UTEOTW, were probably the greatest moments of my night. That song is just :drool: but live, oh man...

NumbMacphisto said:

Oh man, the "impromptu" Out of Control?!?! Damn you're lucky! That's pretty funny about the security. I asked the security guy at Chicago IV for the setlist and was lucky enough to get it.

Did you get to hear Bad in one of the Boston shows? That, and UTEOTW, were probably the greatest moments of my night. That song is just :drool: but live, oh man...

Yep, the completely spontaneous Out Of Control. I'd been waving a piece of paper with "TICK TOCK!" written on it all show (my friend had "PLAY ONE TREE HILL!", Edge saw both and laughed at my friend), and then when they busted into OOC ... it was so amazing! I just grabbed the rail and was using it to jump as high as I possibly could, then I saw my friend was too, and next thing I knew, a hand behind me was tapping me back. The Fleet Centre security in front of us (who we'd spoken to before the show and were friendly with, to the point of letting my friend take photographs) had no problem with us leaping like that, but one of U2's personal security did! :lol:

That whole Boston II show was absolutely out of this world. It's the one that closed with Bad, it went for something like ten minutes ... SO AMAZING. This is the encore:

The Fly
Until The End Of The World
Out Of Control
With Or Without You
All Because Of You
Original Of The Species
Bad/40

Completely and totally out of this world! :drool: :drool:

Axver said:

Yep, the completely spontaneous Out Of Control. I'd been waving a piece of paper with "TICK TOCK!" written on it all show (my friend had "PLAY ONE TREE HILL!", Edge saw both and laughed at my friend), and then when they busted into OOC ... it was so amazing! I just grabbed the rail and was using it to jump as high as I possibly could, then I saw my friend was too, and next thing I knew, a hand behind me was tapping me back. The Fleet Centre security in front of us (who we'd spoken to before the show and were friendly with, to the point of letting my friend take photographs) had no problem with us leaping like that, but one of U2's personal security did! :lol:

:laugh: That hilarious! Too bad they didn't take the sign requests though...

Axver said:

That whole Boston II show was absolutely out of this world. It's the one that closed with Bad, it went for something like ten minutes ... SO AMAZING.

Yeah, Chicago IV's Bad/40 went on for like ten minutes too, with tons of snippets. Probably the best ten minutes of my life and I didn't want it to end. I don't think they knew how to end it either, Bono was looking kinda confused how to finish up. Definitely my vote for best closer for any U2 show, you can't beat the Bad/40 combo.

NumbMacphisto said:

:laugh: That hilarious! Too bad they didn't take the sign requests though...

Maybe when they finally come down here to Brisbane, during the soundcheck, Edge will have a flashback to Boston, remember the signs, and turn around to the others and say "hey guys, did you see those two signs at the second Boston show? Yeah? Let's play those two tonight!"

Yeah, Chicago IV's Bad/40 went on for like ten minutes too, with tons of snippets. Probably the best ten minutes of my life and I didn't want it to end. I don't think they knew how to end it either, Bono was looking kinda confused how to finish up. Definitely my vote for best closer for any U2 show, you can't beat the Bad/40 combo.

Bad at Boston II didn't have as much snippet action, just 40 at the end, but it was so amazing - Bono pulled a girl on stage and hugged her while Edge just kept going and going. The solo was so truly magical, it was as if it was never going to end and just continue on into eternity.

I'm so torn over closers. I'm one of the most vocal supporters of 40 (as StlElevation will tell you :wink: ), but Bad/40 is so epic ... I can't choose!

Axver said:

Maybe when they finally come down here to Brisbane, during the soundcheck, Edge will have a flashback to Boston, remember the signs, and turn around to the others and say "hey guys, did you see those two signs at the second Boston show? Yeah? Let's play those two tonight!"

Haha, hey, don't hog all the fun down there, though you guys deserve it, it's been way too long since U2 have been down there. One Tree Hill does have a better chance to be played around that area though. That would be awesome if it came true.

Axver said:

Bad at Boston II didn't have as much snippet action, just 40 at the end, but it was so amazing - Bono pulled a girl on stage and hugged her while Edge just kept going and going. The solo was so truly magical, it was as if it was never going to end and just continue on into eternity.

I'm so torn over closers. I'm one of the most vocal supporters of 40 (as StlElevation will tell you :wink: ), but Bad/40 is so epic ... I can't choose!

Bad/40 just has the best of both words. I did experience 40 during opening night in San Diego though and that was magical, just singing along with the thousands of people while they walked off. Man, I can't wait until I see them next, that's the crappy part. Two hours of bliss, and then it's done. Oh well, it's always the most amazing two hours ever.

Why don't they drop the boy/october tracks, replace them with some zooropa/pop tracks, add electrical storm in, drop some htdaab songs and replace them with other htdaab songs, and restructure the setlist to be more like the elevation setlists? And end with 'One' like Popmart.

COBL
Vertigo
Beautiful Day
Until The End Of The World
New Year's Day
With Or Without You
Bad
Bullet The Blue Sky
Exit(would be an amazing segue into LAPOE)
Love And Peace Or Else
(that last three would an amazing triplet)
Gone
Electrical Storm(played more like the orbit mix)
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
One Step Closer(seque into streets)
Streets
(human rights thing)
Please(full band, ala popmart)
Crumbs From Your Table(the outro would be an amazing end to the main set)

Zoo Station
The Fly
Ultraviolet(Light My Way)
Lemon(at the end, bono could repeat 'midnight' a few times while the music segues into OOTS)
Original Of The Species(like the most recent live versions)
Kite
One

NumbMacphisto said:

Haha, hey, don't hog all the fun down there, though you guys deserve it, it's been way too long since U2 have been down there. One Tree Hill does have a better chance to be played around that area though. That would be awesome if it came true.

I really think the only chance One Tree Hill has of being played is if U2 go to New Zealand ... goodness, I'd love them to, I haven't been back to my homeland in over two years and it's a great excuse to go. It's been twelve years since U2 played NZ and seven for Australia. Honestly, Australian crowds are SHIT (I was the only person who stood and danced at the Finn Brothers in Brisbane last week!), but if U2 went to NZ, the crowd would just go absolutely ballistic when One Tree Hill starts. I'd pay ANYTHING to hear One Tree Hill in Auckland (the location of the hill).

Bad/40 just has the best of both words. I did experience 40 during opening night in San Diego though and that was magical, just singing along with the thousands of people while they walked off. Man, I can't wait until I see them next, that's the crappy part. Two hours of bliss, and then it's done. Oh well, it's always the most amazing two hours ever.

I only cried once in Boston: at the first show, during 40. Being part of the whole 40 experience was a dream of mine; I never gave up hope before the tour that they'd play 40, but I still couldn't believe they really were and that I was there.

But yeah, Bad's definitely got the best of both worlds. :drool: What if Bad segued into a full 40? :drool: :drool:

namkcuR said:
Why don't they drop the boy/october tracks, replace them with some zooropa/pop tracks

Because of the connection between those two albums and HTDAAB.

(And I'd rather hear Boy/October tunes than most Zooropa/Pop tracks.)

add electrical storm in

:up: Agreed!

restructure the setlist to be more like the elevation setlists?

Because then the complaints they're repeating themselves would suddenly have an air of legitimacy.

Axver said:

Because of the connection between those two albums and HTDAAB.

(And I'd rather hear Boy/October tunes than most Zooropa/Pop tracks.)

We disagree there. Electric Co. and Gloria and An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart are great live, but they can't compare to Please or Gone or Staring At The Sun or Lemon live.

Axver said:

I really think the only chance One Tree Hill has of being played is if U2 go to New Zealand ... goodness, I'd love them to, I haven't been back to my homeland in over two years and it's a great excuse to go. It's been twelve years since U2 played NZ and seven for Australia. Honestly, Australian crowds are SHIT (I was the only person who stood and danced at the Finn Brothers in Brisbane last week!), but if U2 went to NZ, the crowd would just go absolutely ballistic when One Tree Hill starts. I'd pay ANYTHING to hear One Tree Hill in Auckland (the location of the hill).

:up: That would rock. One Tree Hill is definitely a top 5 song I NEED to hear live in my life. That sucks about Australian crowds though, I wonder why that is. I've heard that happening in Japan with their crowds being what they think is "polite" and sitting the whole time, but that's just ridiculous. You've gotta enjoy the show and just go nuts! And the Sydney crowd from the Zoo TV video looked pretty energetic. That's really too bad though, they don't get the full experience.

Axver said:

I only cried once in Boston: at the first show, during 40. Being part of the whole 40 experience was a dream of mine; I never gave up hope before the tour that they'd play 40, but I still couldn't believe they really were and that I was there.

But yeah, Bad's definitely got the best of both worlds. :drool: What if Bad segued into a full 40? :drool: :drool:

I felt the exact same way, like geez, here I am and U2 are freaking playing 40 and I'm participating in it. Bad into full 40 though...:drool: :drool: :drool:

Also, sorry for steering your thread off topic. I'm just extremely bored and jump at the opportunity to talk about anything and everything U2.:wink:

NumbMacphisto said:

:up: That would rock. One Tree Hill is definitely a top 5 song I NEED to hear live in my life. That sucks about Australian crowds though, I wonder why that is. I've heard that happening in Japan with their crowds being what they think is "polite" and sitting the whole time, but that's just ridiculous. You've gotta enjoy the show and just go nuts! And the Sydney crowd from the Zoo TV video looked pretty energetic. That's really too bad though, they don't get the full experience.

Oh, goodness, everyone should have the privilege of hearing One Tree Hill live. :drool: If U2 go to Auckland, I am SO there (and this coming from a Wellingtonian who's not meant to like Auckland!). Though if they play NZ in future, my bet is they'll play a single show at WestpacTrust Stadium in Wellington.

Apparently Australian crowds used to be great, but ever since I've been here, everyone from NZ has said they suck (the Finns was my first concert in Australia). My mother was dancing at one show and the person behind her physically dragged her down! No-one in my family will go to concerts here any more because the crowds suck so much. It's a rock concert, not a bloody movie! :madspit:

I felt the exact same way, like geez, here I am and U2 are freaking playing 40 and I'm participating in it. Bad into full 40 though...:drool: :drool: :drool:

Also, sorry for steering your thread off topic. I'm just extremely bored and jump at the opportunity to talk about anything and everything U2.:wink:

I seriously can't believe they brought back 40 or some other songs! I've always said they'd bring back 40 for their last show, or maybe before then, and kept HOPING for this tour ... but for them to actually d it? WOW. :bow: Such an awesome decision!

And I'm really bored too, so hijack away! :rockon:

namkcuR said:

We disagree there. Electric Co. and Gloria and An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart are great live, but they can't compare to Please or Gone or Staring At The Sun or Lemon live.

I'd rather hear Gone (and maybe Please, depending on the Boy/October song), but to hear Electric Co. and Gloria live is one of the most incredible things. I wouldn't trade that for much at all. :drool:

Axver said:

Oh, goodness, everyone should have the privilege of hearing One Tree Hill live. :drool: If U2 go to Auckland, I am SO there (and this coming from a Wellingtonian who's not meant to like Auckland!). Though if they play NZ in future, my bet is they'll play a single show at WestpacTrust Stadium in Wellington.

For your sake, I really hope they make it down there this tour. It would be a shame if they didn't and I'm sure we'd get some rarities like One Tree Hill popping up. And just the chance to extend this tour to everyone would benefit all.

Axver said:

Apparently Australian crowds used to be great, but ever since I've been here, everyone from NZ has said they suck (the Finns was my first concert in Australia). My mother was dancing at one show and the person behind her physically dragged her down! No-one in my family will go to concerts here any more because the crowds suck so much. It's a rock concert, not a bloody movie! :madspit:

I share your pain. Actually at Chicago III I had nosebleed seats and of course my friend and I stood at the beginning, but it took up until Beautiful Day before everyone stood in our section. Many people were up and down for the entire show, but I just don't get it at all.:shrug:
I was in the balcony during R.E.M. last year as well and nobody stood the entire time and told my friend and I to sit as well. We obliged till the encore, when I was like fuck it, I'm standing, and the people behind us left. There loss, IMO. It's called a "rock" show for a reason.

Axver said:

I seriously can't believe they brought back 40 or some other songs! I've always said they'd bring back 40 for their last show, or maybe before then, and kept HOPING for this tour ... but for them to actually d it? WOW. :bow: Such an awesome decision!

I never thought they'd bring it back as a closer, and I kept shuddering at the though of Yahweh closing every night. It's okay, but just doesn't have the power to close a show. The surprises this tour have definitely been very appreciated, even if there are a few of them.

NumbMacphisto said:

For your sake, I really hope they make it down there this tour. It would be a shame if they didn't and I'm sure we'd get some rarities like One Tree Hill popping up. And just the chance to extend this tour to everyone would benefit all.

Rarities :drool:

Maybe we'd get Stuck In A Moment, considering Michael Hutchence is from Australia? And MLK, maybe? MLK --> The Unforgettable Fire :drool: :drool:

I really hope the lads take the tour on the road and make it a TRUE world tour rather than just a North America/Europe tour. Play some places they haven't played before, like mainland Asia!

I share your pain. Actually at Chicago III I had nosebleed seats and of course my friend and I stood at the beginning, but it took up until Beautiful Day before everyone stood in our section. Many people were up and down for the entire show, but I just don't get it at all.:shrug:
I was in the balcony during R.E.M. last year as well and nobody stood the entire time and told my friend and I to sit as well. We obliged till the encore, when I was like fuck it, I'm standing, and the people behind us left. There loss, IMO. It's called a "rock" show for a reason.

At Boston I, my friend and I were up in the nosebleeds (I saw Boston I and II with one of my friends, Boston III with my girlfriend), and he looked around at the people and made a snide remark something along the lines of "yuppies who won't stand up", but we made an agreement: not only were we going to stand, we were going to get everyone we possibly could to stand too! Miraculously, just about the whole section stood for the show, at least from what I saw!

What I don't get are people who leave before/during the encore, and who just whine about people who stand. Goodness, why bother coming? If you want to sit there, why don't you just wait for the DVD and crank it up in your living room? It's the same bloody thing. The crowd shouldn't be stale and passive, but active and enthusiastic! As Bono says, "give more to us so we can give more back to you".

I never thought they'd bring it back as a closer, and I kept shuddering at the though of Yahweh closing every night. It's okay, but just doesn't have the power to close a show. The surprises this tour have definitely been very appreciated, even if there are a few of them.

I never thought Yahweh would be the closer. I also thought they'd play it full band, but I love this gorgeous version they've created!

Axver said:

Rarities :drool:

Maybe we'd get Stuck In A Moment, considering Michael Hutchence is from Australia? And MLK, maybe? MLK --> The Unforgettable Fire :drool: :drool:

For some reason, although they rehearsed it and everything, I doubt Stuck in a Moment will pop up this tour. If it does though, I'd love to see them try it acoustically.
But MLK---> Unforgettable Fire :drool::drool::drool:

Axver said:

What I don't get are people who leave before/during the encore, and who just whine about people who stand. Goodness, why bother coming? If you want to sit there, why don't you just wait for the DVD and crank it up in your living room? It's the same bloody thing. The crowd shouldn't be stale and passive, but active and enthusiastic! As Bono says, "give more to us so we can give more back to you".

:up: Amen! The more the crowd reacts, the better the show, and that's true for every show I've seen. The band and crowd feed off each other, and on the nights where both are in sync, magic happens :drool:

Axver said:

I never thought Yahweh would be the closer. I also thought they'd play it full band, but I love this gorgeous version they've created!

The album version is my least favorite song on the album, although I tolerate it. I thought they'd close with a new song, and that was the only one I could see them doing (wasn't thinking Vertigo X2 then, although I did see that once at Chicago III and thought it kicked ass). Acoustically, it's absolutely beautiful.

NumbMacphisto said:
For some reason, although they rehearsed it and everything, I doubt Stuck in a Moment will pop up this tour. If it does though, I'd love to see them try it acoustically.
But MLK---> Unforgettable Fire :drool::drool::drool:

I'm actually surprised Stuck didn't appear, especially as they rehearsed it between the first and second shows too. I'm wondering if there will be a TOTAL shakeup at NYC with the 5 shows and Stuck will appear. Depends if they can still remember it by then, though. I think they'll rehearse it and play it if they come to Australia and perform in arenas. If they play stadiums though, I'm a bit doubtful.

MLK --> The Unforgettable Fire would be completely and totally incredible. From that album, I'd also LOVE some A Sort Of Homecoming.

:up: Amen! The more the crowd reacts, the better the show, and that's true for every show I've seen. The band and crowd feed off each other, and on the nights where both are in sync, magic happens :drool:

Concerts like Slane are proof positive of that. And Boston II! They wouldn't have done OOC if it weren't for the awesome connection between band and crowd there. The idea that a concert is just four (or however many) people playing on stage is a total crock - the audience are just as important, they bring the energy!

The album version is my least favorite song on the album, although I tolerate it. I thought they'd close with a new song, and that was the only one I could see them doing (wasn't thinking Vertigo X2 then, although I did see that once at Chicago III and thought it kicked ass). Acoustically, it's absolutely beautiful.

I love the album version personally - I can't decide if I prefer it or the live version. I'm honestly not keen on Vertigo x2, though ... sure, it was fun at Boston III, but I was too tired, I really wanted 40. It was more just there, neither positive nor negative. I definitely don't like it being played twice.

Axver said:

I'm actually surprised Stuck didn't appear, especially as they rehearsed it between the first and second shows too. I'm wondering if there will be a TOTAL shakeup at NYC with the 5 shows and Stuck will appear. Depends if they can still remember it by then, though. I think they'll rehearse it and play it if they come to Australia and perform in arenas. If they play stadiums though, I'm a bit doubtful.

MLK --> The Unforgettable Fire would be completely and totally incredible. From that album, I'd also LOVE some A Sort Of Homecoming.

I'm not sure where Stuck would fit with this tour though. It seems wherever they put it, it would kinda drag. I dunno, in the second encore maybe? A Sort of Homecoming would be awesome, but I was a little disappointed when I heard the Slane I performance. It seemed to lack something, I can't quite figure it out though. Now if they started the second encore with that, everyone would be FLOORED :drool:
I'm personally waiting for Exit, although as time goes on, I think that's a stretch. I think it would fit into the theme of the tour around the LAPOE/SBS/BTBS trilogy, maybe right before it, that trilogy is pretty awesome as it is.

Axver said:

I love the album version personally - I can't decide if I prefer it or the live version. I'm honestly not keen on Vertigo x2, though ... sure, it was fun at Boston III, but I was too tired, I really wanted 40. It was more just there, neither positive nor negative. I definitely don't like it being played twice.

I agree, you definitely have to experience Vertigo X2 when you're at the show. I thought it was better then the first Vertigo and thought it ended the show on in incredible high, but it'd be a lot better if they switched that out with Bad/40 every night instead.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom