Why don't U2 do this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NumbMacphisto said:
I'm not sure where Stuck would fit with this tour though. It seems wherever they put it, it would kinda drag. I dunno, in the second encore maybe? A Sort of Homecoming would be awesome, but I was a little disappointed when I heard the Slane I performance. It seemed to lack something, I can't quite figure it out though. Now if they started the second encore with that, everyone would be FLOORED :drool:
I'm personally waiting for Exit, although as time goes on, I think that's a stretch. I think it would fit into the theme of the tour around the LAPOE/SBS/BTBS trilogy, maybe right before it, that trilogy is pretty awesome as it is.

The simple problem with the Slane ASOH is that it seems like they didn't rehearse it enough. I wish they'd rehearse it more and bring it back now, say after ISHFWILF or SYCMIOYO. Maybe even after Bullet. Sure, it wouldn't fit with the war theme, but Electric Co./ASOH was the Bullet/RTSS of the UF Tour.

I think if they really wanted to fit in Stuck, they could put it after Beautiful Day or ISHFWILF. But you're right, it doesn't really have a place this tour. I'm a bit surprised Kite missed out, though.

I so wish the rumours of Exit had been more than that, baseless rumours. It would be absolutely AWESOME before LAPOE. I propose: SYCMIOYO --> Bad --> Bullet --> Exit --> LAPOE. :drool:

I agree, you definitely have to experience Vertigo X2 when you're at the show. I thought it was better then the first Vertigo and thought it ended the show on in incredible high, but it'd be a lot better if they switched that out with Bad/40 every night instead.:wink:

I don't really have an opinion either way about which Vertigo sounded better. Same goes for boots of other shows. I enjoyed it while they did it, but I do wish they'd done something else.

Axver said:
I propose: SYCMIOYO --> Bad --> Bullet --> Exit --> LAPOE. :drool:

Oh man, that's perfect! Those transitions are amazing, everything works so well. Maybe Bad ---> Bullet, Zoo TV style with a little snippet of The First Time between them so we can get some Zooropa songs into the mix. And then Bullet into Exit and Exit fading out into the opening drone of LAPOE...:drool::drool::drool:

NumbMacphisto said:

Oh man, that's perfect! Those transitions are amazing, everything works so well. Maybe Bad ---> Bullet, Zoo TV style with a little snippet of The First Time between them so we can get some Zooropa songs into the mix. And then Bullet into Exit and Exit fading out into the opening drone of LAPOE...:drool::drool::drool:

It would rule so much, and it also eliminates the choppy transition of SYCMIOYO/LAPOE. You're on the ball - Bad --> Bullet like ZooTV is exactly what I meant! :up: My only quandary is how to follow LAPOE ... sure, I can go for Sunday Bloody Sunday, but then what to follow that? :hmm:

I might start some setlisting here ... :wink:

Axver said:

It would rule so much, and it also eliminates the choppy transition of SYCMIOYO/LAPOE. You're on the ball - Bad --> Bullet like ZooTV is exactly what I meant! :up: My only quandary is how to follow LAPOE ... sure, I can go for Sunday Bloody Sunday, but then what to follow that? :hmm:

I might start some setlisting here ... :wink:

I've always thought the LAPOE --> Sunday Bloody Sunday is perfect this tour with Bono's (albeit sloppy) drumming along to the beginning of Sunday Bloody Sunday. But then, how about as Sunday Bloody Sunday ends, Larry just starts the beat for God Part II? I think that would fit pretty well, and sort of continuation of despiration with the "I believe in love" as an answer to the war theme.:shrug: Just a thought.

Try this on for size ...

1. Vertigo
2. All Because Of You
3. The Electric Co.
4. Elevation
5. Beautiful Day
6. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
7. City Of Blinding Lights
8. Miracle Drug
9. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
10. Bad
11. Bullet The Blue Sky
12. Exit
13. Love And Peace Or Else
14. Sunday Bloody Sunday
15. New Year's Day
16. Running To Stand Still
--- Human Rights Thingy ---
17. Pride
18. Where The Streets Have No Name
19. One
--- Break ---
(In the following we have two options)
OPTION #1
20. Zoo Station
21. Until The End Of The World
22. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
--- Break ---
23. 11 O'clock Tick Tock
24. Original Of The Species
25. 40
OPTION #2
20. Zoo Station
22. 11 O'clock Tick Tock
23. Original Of The Species
24. 40

Option #1 is probably better, but Option #2 shortens the setlist a bit and makes it more typically U2 (though they have played to 25 songs a few times this tour, so it could be possible). To help shorten the main set, New Year's Day does not HAVE to be included.

I actually think SBS --> RTSS or NYD --> RTSS could work. You know how when they go to do what you think is the final chant of "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" but it turns into Bullet on this tour? Just take that whole part out, and have the song gently slip into RTSS. And NYD already has the piano, and I think it could lyrically work at the end, "I will be with you again ... and so she woke up, woke up from where she was ..."

NumbMacphisto said:

I've always thought the LAPOE --> Sunday Bloody Sunday is perfect this tour with Bono's (albeit sloppy) drumming along to the beginning of Sunday Bloody Sunday. But then, how about as Sunday Bloody Sunday ends, Larry just starts the beat for God Part II? I think that would fit pretty well, and sort of continuation of despiration with the "I believe in love" as an answer to the war theme.:shrug: Just a thought.

Hey, that's an AWESOME idea! I wish I'd seen that before I made my post! How's this?

1. Vertigo
2. All Because Of You
3. The Electric Co.
4. Elevation
5. New Year's Day
6. Beautiful Day
7. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
8. City Of Blinding Lights
9. Miracle Drug
10. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
11. Bad
12. Bullet The Blue Sky
13. Exit
14. Love And Peace Or Else
15. Sunday Bloody Sunday
16. God Part II
17. Pride
19. One
--- Break ---
20. Zoo Station
--- Break ---
23. 11 O'clock Tick Tock
25. 40
[Or Option #2, but I prefer the 25 song set.]

Axver said:
Try this on for size ...

1. Vertigo
2. All Because Of You
3. The Electric Co.
4. Elevation
5. Beautiful Day
6. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
7. City Of Blinding Lights
8. Miracle Drug
9. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
10. Bad
11. Bullet The Blue Sky
12. Exit
13. Love And Peace Or Else
14. Sunday Bloody Sunday
15. New Year's Day
16. Running To Stand Still
17. Pride
19. One
--- Break ---
(In the following we have two options)
OPTION #1
20. Zoo Station
--- Break ---
23. 11 O'clock Tick Tock
25. 40
OPTION #2
20. Zoo Station
22. 11 O'clock Tick Tock
23. Original Of The Species
24. 40

Option #1 is probably better, but Option #2 shortens the setlist a bit and makes it more typically U2 (though they have played to 25 songs a few times this tour, so it could be possible). To help shorten the main set, New Year's Day does not HAVE to be included.

I actually think SBS --> RTSS or NYD --> RTSS could work. You know how when they go to do what you think is the final chant of "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" but it turns into Bullet on this tour? Just take that whole part out, and have the song gently slip into RTSS. And NYD already has the piano, and I think it could lyrically work at the end, "I will be with you again ... and so she woke up, woke up from where she was ..."

:up: That's fantastic! I love the idea of NYD and the transition into RTSS with the piano would be beautiful. I really like option 1 for the encores, just because to have the band go offstage and come back just to rip into 11 O'Clock Tick Tock would be too good to be true. And it includes one more song, and one more never hurt anyone :wink:
That SYCMIOYO-->Bad-->Bullet-->Exit-->LAPOE-->SBS would definitely be the highlight though :drool:

Axver said:

Hey, that's an AWESOME idea! I wish I'd seen that before I made my post! How's this?

1. Vertigo
2. All Because Of You
3. The Electric Co.
4. Elevation
5. New Year's Day
6. Beautiful Day
7. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
8. City Of Blinding Lights
9. Miracle Drug
10. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
11. Bad
12. Bullet The Blue Sky
13. Exit
14. Love And Peace Or Else
15. Sunday Bloody Sunday
16. God Part II
17. Pride
19. One
--- Break ---
20. Zoo Station
--- Break ---
23. 11 O'clock Tick Tock
25. 40
[Or Option #2, but I prefer the 25 song set.]

:up: Perfect. I'd pay anything to go to that show. I think God Part II would work really well flowing into the Human Rights thingy too, if Bono just delivered the last "I believe in love" a cappella and flow into the video from that. And 11 O'clock Tick Tock NEEDS to open that second encore in reality. That's just too good.

NumbMacphisto said:

:up: That's fantastic! I love the idea of NYD and the transition into RTSS with the piano would be beautiful. I really like option 1 for the encores, just because to have the band go offstage and come back just to rip into 11 O'Clock Tick Tock would be too good to be true. And it includes one more song, and one more never hurt anyone :wink:
That SYCMIOYO-->Bad-->Bullet-->Exit-->LAPOE-->SBS would definitely be the highlight though :drool:

Yeah, I'd really love to hear how NYD --> RTSS would work live; I've always been keen on RTSS --> NYD so why not the reverse? I'd actually like to hear U2 try preceding RTSS with songs other than Bullet. If memory serves me correctly, RTSS has been played without Bullet only twice - first two shows of the third leg of the JT Tour, Bad --> RTSS --> NYD. Bad --> RTSS would be awesome. Put Wire before Bad and you'd have a very haunting trilogy right there.

Wire --> Bad --> RTSS --> Walk On would make for a great encore.

U2 coming out and ripping into 11OTT :drool: :drool: Goodness, I love the early shows and UF Tour gigs when they come out and rip into that first! Those are so awesome. Any crowd that doesn't appreciate that has no pulse.

Axver said:

Yeah, I'd really love to hear how NYD --> RTSS would work live; I've always been keen on RTSS --> NYD so why not the reverse? I'd actually like to hear U2 try preceding RTSS with songs other than Bullet. If memory serves me correctly, RTSS has been played without Bullet only twice - first two shows of the third leg of the JT Tour, Bad --> RTSS --> NYD. Bad --> RTSS would be awesome. Put Wire before Bad and you'd have a very haunting trilogy right there.

Wire --> Bad --> RTSS --> Walk On would make for a great encore.

U2 coming out and ripping into 11OTT :drool: :drool: Goodness, I love the early shows and UF Tour gigs when they come out and rip into that first! Those are so awesome. Any crowd that doesn't appreciate that has no pulse.

I think every possible combination U2 have done with a song leading into NYD has turned out fantastic: October --> NYD, RTSS-->NYD, and UTEOTW-->NYD, which is my favorite. I don't think you can go wrong with any combination.

Wire anywhere in the setlist would be incredible, but Wire-->Bad would be another one that would work extremely well.

Well Axver, I've got to head to bed, or I'm gonna be a zombie at work tomorrow. It was great talking to you, we've got to do this again some other time. Take it easy man, see you around. :wave:

NumbMacphisto said:

:up: Perfect. I'd pay anything to go to that show. I think God Part II would work really well flowing into the Human Rights thingy too, if Bono just delivered the last "I believe in love" a cappella and flow into the video from that. And 11 O'clock Tick Tock NEEDS to open that second encore in reality. That's just too good.

When I made that revision, I thought "God Part II before the Human Rights Thingy?" And then I realised it's perfect! "I ... I believe in ... The Edge! Stop! I believe in love! *cue Human Rights*" It's very appropriate, and that song rocks so much.

WHY are they wasting the perfect opportunity to play 11 O'clock Tick Tock? All four should come running out, Bono should look at his watch, scream "It's eleven o'clock!", Edge starts that guitar, "TICK, TOCK!" :rockon:

Also, the great part of this setlist is that we've just swapped the order around a little bit, kept ALL the themes (if anything, improved on the war theme), and introduced three amazing songs. It fits in to my earlier theme of minor modifications on the typical set (though Exit and God Part II are more of a stretch than EBTTRT or Gone), and it's bloody awesome too! :drool:

NumbMacphisto said:
I think every possible combination U2 have done with a song leading into NYD has turned out fantastic: October --> NYD, RTSS-->NYD, and UTEOTW-->NYD, which is my favorite. I don't think you can go wrong with any combination.

You are absolutely right My personal favourite is October --> NYD and I wish they'd bring October back on this tour. That's one very minor gripe I have about this tour's sets, that they haven't found anything to merge NYD with. I can understand why they aren't doing UTEOTW --> NYD as they've done that three tours in a row, but it would be cool to put it with something. I actually think The Ocean --> NYD has potential.

(Though speaking of October, I also really loved October --> Tomorrow.)

Wire anywhere in the setlist would be incredible, but Wire-->Bad would be another one that would work extremely well.

The great part of Wire is you can put it with almost ANYTHING. It's a dark, rocking song so you can put it with something else rocking, but it has the "here's the rope, here's the rope, now, swing on it" ending that can lead into softer songs, such as MLK --> UF on the UF Tour. That worked well. And I think Wire --> Bad would work much better! "Now, swing on it ... if you tear yourself in two again ..." Just thinking about it gives me chills!

Well Axver, I've got to head to bed, or I'm gonna be a zombie at work tomorrow. It was great talking to you, we've got to do this again some other time. Take it easy man, see you around. :wave:

Have a good night! :wave: Actually, you picked a good time to go, as I probably should get around to making my dinner. Definitely have to do this again; great way to pass what was a very idle afternoon! :)

Axver said:

(OK, so I'm bored.)

Wow, I guess you were. I go to bed after a few discussions about this in the other thread, and I wake up to see this. Haha.

Great stuff, though. There definitely is so much that U2 can play around with without effecting the core of the show itself. Here's hoping they build on what they started with Miss Sarajevo.

Axver said:

I so wish the rumours of Exit had been more than that, baseless rumours. It would be absolutely AWESOME before LAPOE. I propose: SYCMIOYO --> Bad --> Bullet --> Exit --> LAPOE. :drool:

You propose? I'm sorry, but with the exception of Sometimes, I recall having that exact sequence in the setlist I posted on page 2 of this thread. You taking my idea and claiming it as your own?

namkcuR said:

You propose? I'm sorry, but with the exception of Sometimes, I recall having that exact sequence in the setlist I posted on page 2 of this thread. You taking my idea and claiming it as your own?

I most certainly did not take it from you. Get a grip. I can't even remember what was on your setlist, except that you ended with One.

I've also been using SYCMIOYO --> Bad since the album came out, and Bullet --> Exit --> LAPOE for a few months (I can date Bullet --> Exit to late October/early November 2004, Exit --> LAPOE to when LAPOE leaked, and I put the two combos together around about January I think), and U2 can take credit for Bad --> Bullet!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom