Who's wants a game of setlist trivia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liamcool

Blue Crack Addict
deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trau
I ask a question, you get it right, you ask a question, another person gets it right, you get the point? Yeah. I know you do. Just answer this question and you get to ask another question.

What was the second song played on the second show of the second leg for the tour of U2's second album?

Answer: Whoops

Question: Prior to the Vertigo Tour, when did 40 last close a show, Full date and City

It was during The Unforgettable Fire Tour(Brussels, October 28th 1984).
The song was The Electric Co.

Actually, the last time "40" closed the show prior to Vertigo Tour, was at the Astoria gig in London, February 7th 2001.

Q: Name at least two shows where Heartland was snippeted, and during which song did that occur?

I know the song was Streets, and one of the shows was Melbourne, 13th of October or something. Have no idea about the other though. Was it even done another time?

EDIT: If that's right, then my question is:

How many times did A Celebration come before 40 in the setlist that we know of?

MacPhistoPT said:
whey hey hey, baby hang on »»» SPANISH EYES

When and where did U2 played El Pueblo Vencera, ignoring PopMart Tour?

Is this the right answer? When was Spanish Eyes played in full two full times on the Joshua Tree tour?? They started the opening guitar at the 11-7-87 Denver show and had to start over because Larry's timing was off, but that was just the intro. If thats whats being referred to as it being played twice that is a big stretch. Is there a different show and/or song that is being referred to? I'm curious now! :laugh:

Oh, and the answer to the question posed on this post would be Tempe 12-19-87 and 12-20-87.

Blue Room said:

Is this the right answer? When was Spanish Eyes played in full two full times on the Joshua Tree tour?? They started the opening guitar at the 11-7-87 Denver show and had to start over because Larry's timing was off, but that was just the intro. If thats whats being referred to as it being played twice that is a big stretch. Is there a different show and/or song that is being referred to? I'm curious now! :laugh:

Oh, and the answer to the question posed on this post would be Tempe 12-19-87 and 12-20-87.

Spanish Eyes was played twice - in a row - at the other Denver show on 8 November 1987.

http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/show872.html

Interesting, I have NEVER seen that listed that way for that show or heard that before. The A Concert Documentary book does not show it that way or mention that it was done twice, and neither does U2.tours. I certainly dont remember it that way on the tape of this show also that I had/have. But I havent listened to it for eons either.

I have a friend that was at that show. When I see her on the third leg I will ask her, she will remember for sure if it was.

Blue Room said:
Interesting, I have NEVER seen that listed that way for that show or heard that before. The A Concert Documentary book does not show it that way or mention that it was done twice, and neither does U2.tours. I certainly dont remember it that way on the tape of this show also that I had/have. But I havent listened to it for eons either.

I have a friend that was at that show. When I see her on the third leg I will ask her, she will remember for sure if it was.

I'm the one who revised the site's setlist to include Spanish Eyes twice. The bootleg lists it as a single track - 9:18 in length on my copy - but if you listen to it closely, at around 5:10-15, the first performance ends, the entire band has stopped, and then at Bono's prompting, they start again and they play the entire song a second time.

How many times did A Celebration come before 40 in the setlist that we know of?

simple answer, every time it was played during the war tour.

liamcool said:
I'll send a clipped version to your email if you want proof.

And nobody's even attempted my question yet. :mad:

Thats ok, if it was that big of a deal to me I could dig out my tape copy which I got from the taper. Just is odd that it was never reported that way in reviews, experiences, setlists, etc. for so long. :shrug:

Oh, and Nisse, you are suppose to ask a question when you answer. :laugh:

simple answer, every time it was played during the war tour.

Very good. Since you didn't ask a question, I'll ask one, and you can ask one when you see this thread. I'm sure people can answer two questions at once.

Question:

During the Pre-War tour, how many times was New Year's Day played in a non-full version, and at what dates? (By non-full, I define as a significant part is missing, like a verse)

liamcool said:

Question:

During the Pre-War tour, how many times was New Year's Day played in a non-full version, and at what dates? (By non-full, I define as a significant part is missing, like a verse)

Well, thats almost impossible to answer with a degree of certainty as there is no documentation as to what was played and there are no known recordings of the 3 Dublin pre War shows in circulation. So it could have happened at one of those as well, but we dont know. They had to cut NY Day short at the first Pre War show in Glasgow because Edge was having feedback problems. There is a full verse eliminated from NY Day at the Manchester Apollo soundboard bootleg. However, that was edited out by the bootlegger to fit most of the show on one disc. They played the whole song that night. May be another time as I dont remember all of the audio from the other shows. But the question is flawed to begin with!! :laugh: ;)

liamcool said:
You forgot to ask a question though. *raises fist*

Aside from Gloria/October, when was the last time that a song from October was played live?

Well, I didnt know I got the right answer??!! Was I right then?

As for the answer to this question I could be wrong. But my "guess" off the top of my head would be the Unf. Fire Tour, I think it was the 2nd Worcester show in 85 and they did I Threw A Brick and I Fall Down at that show. Unless you count "The Cry" as the same thing as "Is That All", then they did it the last show they played. :laugh: I'm rusty at this though, there was a time I could just quote this stuff off the top of my head with a degree of certainty! :laugh:

OK, so if I'm correct, here is my question. What shows did Bono want to end with Mothers Of The Disappeared so it would become the new 40 but it was never played at those shows? What was the reason why it wasnt played?

OK, so if I'm correct, here is my question. What shows did Bono want to end with Mothers Of The Disappeared so it would become the new 40 but it was never played at those shows? What was the reason why it wasnt played?

My guess, and this is only a guess, are the two Denver shows that they were working on forRattle and Hum (11/7 and 11/8/1987) My guess as to why they didn't play MOTD is that the people filming or management or someone wanted them to go with 40 because of crowd reaction or something along those lines. Of course, Bono has been known to want to "[screw] the film ... I WILL FOLLOW!" :) so why it didn't happen I don't know.

Harbinger said:

My guess, and this is only a guess, are the two Denver shows that they were working on forRattle and Hum (11/7 and 11/8/1987) My guess as to why they didn't play MOTD is that the people filming or management or someone wanted them to go with 40 because of crowd reaction or something along those lines. Of course, Bono has been known to want to "[screw] the film ... I WILL FOLLOW!" :) so why it didn't happen I don't know.

Unfortunately thats not correct. Its sort of a trick question though, maybe that will give you guys a clue.

Goodness, Blue Room, that's a tough question!

My guess is that as Mothers closed the 1987-04-14 show, Bono wanted it to close at least one of the five subsequent shows in Los Angeles, but the band over-ruled him because the song doesn't have any kind of chant like 40.

could it be the first shows but they couldn't do it because his voice was too hoarse

:hmm: Didnt realize I had come up with a stumper question. :laugh: Like I said, its sort of a trick question. No one is close yet.

OK, new guess.

Bono wanted to play it at the shows they tentatively planned to do in South America in 1987 (due to the thematic relevance), but as those shows were cancelled, the song obviously was not played.

Back
Top Bottom