Who's wants a game of setlist trivia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:
OK, new guess.

Bono wanted to play it at the shows they tentatively planned to do in South America in 1987 (due to the thematic relevance), but as those shows were cancelled, the song obviously was not played.

:laugh: close enough.

The answer is Buenos Aires Argentina in February 1988, the Joshua Tree tour was going to close there and they were going to shoot Rattle And Hum (the color footage) there and not Tempe. But they found it was going to be to expensive to film there so it was scrapped and they shot in Tempe instead. Then the tour itself down there got scrapped (along with Australia) to work on the new material for Rattle and Hum. Bono wanted to end the film with Mothers Of The Disappeared in Argentina (for obvious reasons) and commented that it would become the new closer for future U2 shows. Obviously never happened, which is almost to bad IMO.

Blue Room said:

:laugh: close enough.

The answer is Buenos Aires Argentina in February 1988, the Joshua Tree tour was going to close there and they were going to shoot Rattle And Hum (the color footage) there and not Tempe. But they found it was going to be to expensive to film there so it was scrapped and they shot in Tempe instead. Then the tour itself down there got scrapped (along with Australia) to work on the new material for Rattle and Hum. Bono wanted to end the film with Mothers Of The Disappeared in Argentina (for obvious reasons) and commented that it would become the new closer for future U2 shows. Obviously never happened, which is almost to bad IMO.

Wow! It would be amazing to hear a ZooTV gig closing with Mothers rather than Love Is Blindness, and I wonder how they would've slotted Love Is Blindness into the set.

OK, time for a question from me:

What U2 song has had the longest gap between FULL performances? How long was that gap?

(i.e. it was played in full on 1 March 1979 and then didn't appear in full again until 15 June 2007.)

timothius said:

I would guess An Cat Dubh... sometime on Boy/October tour -> L.A Rehersal on the Vertigo Tour? :shrug:

Yep, An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart is right! But can anyone tell me the correct length of time?

timothius said:
20 years, 5 months & 2 days.

My question is...

What song have been played the most in Aotearoa.

Got it!

And hmm ... Pride?

If so, my question is: how many times was Tomorrow played on the October Tour?

Axver said:

Yep, An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart is right! But can anyone tell me the correct length of time?

:hmm: Wouldnt it be The Ocean, not An Cat Dubh? The Ocean wasnt played after the October tour until Vertigo that I remember and An Cat Dubh was played on the War tour in 1983 and the 1984 Australian leg of Unf. Fire tour.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

:hmm: Wouldnt it be The Ocean, not An Cat Dubh? The Ocean wasnt played after the October tour until Vertigo that I remember and An Cat Dubh was played on the War tour in 1983 and the 1984 Australian leg of Unf. Fire tour.

Oh, yes, of course! It completely slipped my mind. Thanks for correcting me! :)

It holds the record at 22 years, 3 months, and 22 days, if I remember correctly.

And timothius, Tomorrow was actually played THREE times on October, but the first performance occurred in Dublin at a show for which we have no recorded setlist.

To answer your other question, Bono sung at Greg Carroll's funeral in NZ. I believe Larry was also in attendance but I don't know if he played anything.

New question: in which Australian city and state would you live in if U2 had opened a concert with Wire in your city? Extra credit for correctly identifying the show by location and date.

Blue Room said:

The Birthday Boy has a point Axver.... :yes:

Axver said:

New question: in which Australian city and state would you live in if U2 had opened a concert with Wire in your city? Extra credit for correctly identifying the show by location and date.

You would unfortunetly be in Melbourne, Victoria. Which would be a sad day for you. I don't do extra credit - but I would suggest it was at the Sports Arena.

Which song was pretty much a mainstay for the first portion of a particular tour... then in the final two legs of the tour was bizzarley played EVERY NIGHT except one (on both legs). What song? What tour? What marsupial?

I don't get the third question. (what marsupial?)

A Sort Of Homecoming on UF. I think. Maybe it wasn't played on the festivals in 85 (The Longest Day, etc, etc)

Question:

Not counting songs that never achieved an official release (The Dream Is Over, The Magic Carpet, etc) and Pre-Boy songs, what was the first song ever dropped from the setlist by U2?

Shadows And Tall Trees.

On what date did Red Hill Mining Town come very close to being performed? What did occur with RHMT on that day?

(And it's Blue Room's birthday? Well, happy birthday! Hope it's a good one!)

Another Day, which was last played on the same day as Shadows And Tall Trees, but two spots in the setlist earlier.

You mean Stories For Boys?

Q: What song was ment to be released as a single, but ended up becoming a b-side, and why?

Edit: It's impossible to say wether Another Day or Shadows & Tall Trees was dropped first because there are no recorded sets for the two following shows.

Last edited:
heh I just realized it doesnt have to do with setlists though, so I guess I have to give a big hint: It was played before Boy was released but was not played afterwards.

Pete the Chop?

I forget the specific reason, but it was going to be released if another single - forget which one - flopped. Said song was a success so PTC was shelved, then re-appeared in a slightly different form as a b-side.

If right.....name the only U2 song to have been dropped from the set before it was released as a single, and never played in full after its single release

Pete the chop is correct, and I guess the answer to your question is If god will send his angels?

Q: name 3 songs that when they were first performed were more like their album versions, but was eventually shortened?

IGWSHA is correct.

Wake Up Dead Man, A Sort Of Homecoming, New Year's Day(?)...Dunno, you've got me with that one.

Axver said:
Shadows And Tall Trees.

On what date did Red Hill Mining Town come very close to being performed? What did occur with RHMT on that day?

(And it's Blue Room's birthday? Well, happy birthday! Hope it's a good one!)

Thanks.

I dont have the exact date, but it was November 1987 in Murfreesboro TN, they tried it in soundcheck. It wasnt close to being played though. They were trying it for possible use in the Tempe filming. They couldnt work it out and scrapped it, Larry couldnt get the timing right and Bono said it hurt his vocal chords to do the main chorus.

KennyM said:
IGWSHA is correct.

Wake Up Dead Man, A Sort Of Homecoming, New Year's Day(?)...Dunno, you've got me with that one.
well ASOH was one I was thinking of, haven't heard the first performance's of WUDM though :hmm:

If God Will send his angels fits the criteria above. It started out as pretty much the full song and then became just the beginning.

I don't know that Wake UP Dead Man was ever done its entiriety.

New Year's Day also sort of fits, in the sense that they quit doing the last verse...but I don't think it's shorter, just different.

unless I'm mistaken the last verse of NYD was never performed live? anyway I was thinking of Homecoming , Mofo & Velvet Dress.

and the answer is Like A Song...

Q: what was the second War song to be dropped?

Surrender.

Q: How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

I'm totally kidding.

Q: The Magic Carpet was played on the 3rd of Feburary in Tullamore and the 26th of Feburary in Dublin. During which tour was Twilight dropped?

Back
Top Bottom