Where the hell is OOTS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
no, but to answer the question in your thread title, it's track 10 on their new album.

They played it twice on the promo tour. They still need to work on it (listen to the Brooklyn Bridge version) - they shouldn't play it if they can't get it right.

And really, I'm not fussed if they play it or not.

Well, since they played two shows already, and 100% of them did not include OOTS, they will never play it. I mean, look at the stats -- stats don't lie! :wink:

It took them a little while before playing Kite last tour, so don't fret.

haha, there you are. i hope you make it onto the setlists by Philly! you're a fantastic song, and we're looking forward to meeting you.

Well, if U2 don't start playing this song live soon, it'll never be a single. There's no better way to promote a new single than to play it live to 20,000 per night.

Maybe they just can't get it right? The piano only version is awesome, but maybe they think that wouldn't fit in with the aggressive tone of the show. U2 always has great songs they don't play live; When I Look At The World and Acrobat being prime examples. Original of the Species may very well fall into that category, but we'll have to wait a month or two maybe to see if they break it out. (It took them about a month to start playing "kite" on the last tour.)

My guesses about OOTS:

1) They really can't get it right musically. Since about 1990, they've been hampered by the fact that Edge hasn't been cloned. They need at least three of him on stage to make all the album noises that sculpt the songs. They're probably reluctant to do another "Staring At the Sun" to it, and make a willowy pseudo-acoustic.

2) It may cut too close to the bone considering the situation with Edge's daughter. Bono seems to thrive to some extent on the nightly catharsis of singing out his demons; Edge may feel differently.

3) Obviously, they have taken the set in a very one-world, political direction. They are not playing up the intimate, personal aspects of the songs, and Original may not fit well with the Africa/human rights push, which basically takes up 2/3 of the show. At this point, I'd expect to hear Crumbs before Original.

I think OOTS can fit nicely between Beautiful Day and Miracle Drug on the setlist as played anaheim 4/2. I really do.
I haven't heard them play it live, but an album-like version would go well there...I don't think it would fit in so well with the closing acoustic stuff.
Yes, it might be too much emotionally though...

I think RTSS already has the slow, emotional track-spot taken. I say this because they'll probably end up having to play OOTS as a piano/vocal/drums piece, very similar to RTSS. If they have both RTSS and OOTS in the set, it will take away from the momentum and agressiveness of the tour so far...

Axver said:
They played it twice on the promo tour. They still need to work on it (listen to the Brooklyn Bridge version) - they shouldn't play it if they can't get it right.

Maybe I'm in a minority here, but I liked the Brooklyn Bridge version. I wasn't a fan of the song before the concert, and I definitely was after it.

Though I'm the first to admit it would be awesome if they worked out how to do it "properly'.

Back
Top Bottom