What songs that u2 has never played live, or only played live once bring back?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00Kevin

War Child
I think if bono could hit those high notes for redhill mining town for just one night, that would be the best.

For everyone's reference:

Album tracks never played live:
- Stranger In A Strange Land
- Is That All?
- Drowning Man
- The Refugee
- Red Light
- Promenade
- 4th Of July
- Elvis Presley And America
- The Three Sunrises
- Love Comes Tumbling
- Red Hill Mining Town
- Heartland
- Acrobat
- Some Days Are Better Than Others
- The First Time
- The Wanderer
- The Playboy Mansion
- Peace On Earth
- When I Look At The World
- Grace
- Electrical Storm
- A Man And A Woman
- Crumbs From Your Table
- One Step Closer
- Fast Cars

Songs played once live:
- Scarlet
- Like A Song ...
- So Cruel (Bono did the whole thing solo once)

Give me Heartland, Acrobat, and Promenade --> 4th Of July --> Bad! :drool:

Well, these lists are alway incomplete - so don't count on them literally, many tunes are always forgotten:

For example some of the tunes were cited as snippets in various tunes: "Drowning Man" in 11 O'clock Tick Tock '83 or "Heartland" in Where The Streets ... '89.
"The First Time" was even a staple in the 2nd half of the 'ZOOROPA'-Tour '93 linked with Bad.
A line from "The Playboy Mansion" was a usual coda of Where The Streets ... '97/'98.
"Peace On Earth" even was played some nights shorter, some nights longer on the 3rd leg of ELEVATION and one time even "When I Look At The World" was inserted in Bad.
And "So Cruel" even was played more times as snippet and also an acoustic version: indoors '92 in Italy and outdoors '92 in the U.S. ....

And, yes: I do care for snippet-performances - please not that discussion again. Enjoy!

ZOOTVTOURist said:
Well, these lists are alway incomplete - so don't count on them literally, many tunes are always forgotten:

For example some of the tunes were cited as snippets in various tunes: "Drowning Man" in 11 O'clock Tick Tock '83 or "Heartland" in Where The Streets ... '89.
"The First Time" was even a staple in the 2nd half of the 'ZOOROPA'-Tour '93 linked with Bad.
A line from "The Playboy Mansion" was a usual coda of Where The Streets ... '97/'98.
"Peace On Earth" even was played some nights shorter, some nights longer on the 3rd leg of ELEVATION and one time even "When I Look At The World" was inserted in Bad.
And "So Cruel" even was played more times as snippet and also an acoustic version: indoors '92 in Italy and outdoors '92 in the U.S. ....

And, yes: I do care for snippet-performances - please not that discussion again. Enjoy!

So Cruel wasn't done twice, it was only done once. The Italian performance was part of the Bad --> Bullet segue.

I didn't bother to preface my statement with some "snippets ignored" statement, but now for the purposes of clarity ...

Album tracks never played live:
- Stranger In A Strange Land - snippeted on 28 October 1984 in The Cry/The Electric Co.
- Is That All? - the guitar riff was played live as The Cry.
- Drowning Man - snippeted on 5 June 1983 in 11 O'clock Tick Tock.
- The Refugee - no known snippet.
- Red Light - no known snippet.
- Promenade - no known snippet (however, Bono did once make a brief allusion to Promenade in a mid-Bad speech).
- 4th Of July - no known performance, but was used as UF Tour intro music.
- Elvis Presley And America - no known snippet; backing music is a slowed down ASOH.
- The Three Sunrises - no known snippet.
- Love Comes Tumbling - no known snippet.
- Red Hill Mining Town - no known snippet.
- Heartland - snippeted on 13 October 1989 during the intro of Where The Streets Have No Name.
- Acrobat - no known snippet, but was played at the Hershey rehearsals.
- Some Days Are Better Than Others - no known snippet.
- The First Time - snippeted at the end of Bad regularly on the fourth leg of ZooTV.
- The Wanderer - no known snippet.
- The Playboy Mansion - regularly snippeted during Where The Streets Have No Name on Popmart.
- Peace On Earth - snippeted before Walk On on the third leg of Elevation; sometimes this was a substantial portion of the song.
- When I Look At The World - snippeted once on 27 November 2001 between Bad and Where The Streets Have No Name.
- Grace - no known snippet, but was used as Elevation outro music.
- Electrical Storm - no known snippet.
- A Man And A Woman - no known snippet.
- Crumbs From Your Table - no known snippet.
- One Step Closer - no known snippet.
- Fast Cars - no known snippet.

That's off the top of my head, but I think it correlates with the data we have on u2-vertigo-tour.com. Any corrections/additions are appreciated! :)

Axver said:

So Cruel wasn't done twice, it was only done once. The Italian performance was part of the Bad --> Bullet segue.
Any corrections/additions are appreciated! :)

So Cruel has been played 4 times

1992-05-22 - Milan, Italy - Forum Di Assago
1992-08-22 - Foxboro, Massachusetts - Foxboro Stadium
1992-09-09 - Detroit, Michigan - Pontiac Silverdome
1992-09-15 - Chicago, Illinois - World Music Ampitheater

It was played in full (albeit an acoustic version) 3 times and once as a snippet at the Milan concert.

- I think I have 3 performances of So Cruel and if I find them then I'll upload them for you.

Could you imagine what this Forum would look like if they played Acrobat, Promenade, Red Hill Mining Town.......... or any of the songs above in a set. It would be off the hook!

U2mixer said:

So Cruel has been played 4 times

1992-05-22 - Milan, Italy - Forum Di Assago
1992-08-22 - Foxboro, Massachusetts - Foxboro Stadium
1992-09-09 - Detroit, Michigan - Pontiac Silverdome
1992-09-15 - Chicago, Illinois - World Music Ampitheater

It was played in full (albeit an acoustic version) 3 times and once as a snippet at the Milan concert.

- I think I have 3 performances of So Cruel and if I find them then I'll upload them for you.

The way I understand it, 1992-05-22 is the snippet, 1992-08-22 and 1992-09-15 were the incomplete song acoustic, and 1992-09-09 the full song acoustic.

Bootlegs of the two I've been told were incomplete would be appreciated, though.

zoopop said:
When was Scarlet played? And how did it sound?

1981-10-14, on a BBC radio show. I think it sounds a bit heavier than the album version, but still good.

Interestingly, that BBC show was not only the only time they opened with a b-side, Boy/Girl, but also the last time it was played.

A question: did they ever include "listen to the ..." verse and the "is it like a tape recorder" ending in Wake up dead man live?

Does that song count like a full song or a lengthy snippet?

U2girl said:
A question: did they ever include "listen to the ..." verse and the "is it like a tape recorder" ending in Wake up dead man live?

Does that song count like a full song or a lengthy snippet?

I honestly don't know how much of Wake Up Dead Man has been done live. I've always counted it as a full song because they played it as a separate closer on Popmart, not as an extension of One.

I guess it's subjective. Those two So Cruels that we're questioning may count as proper performances; I was just told 1992-09-09 was the only full one. NYD never had the "and so we're told this is the golden age" verse played live, but no-one here's going to say it's never been played in full.

Like a Song only played once?!! :shocked: That's just not right, man!

The only ones I'm really dying to hear live are Heartland, Acrobat, The First Time, When I Look at the World, Electrical Storm, and the Bomb tracks. I'd really love Stranger in a Strange land, Drowning Man, and Red Hill Mining Town too...I really don't care a whole lot about the rest.

I'd love to see all of them, just in case U2 gets into a completist mode.

At a recent Springsteen show, he shocked everyone by playing "Valentine's Day," a cut off of his 1987 Tunnel of Love album that he has NEVER played live before. Now that is what we call setlist variation.

Springsteen is off doing another of his one-man acts at the moment. Without the band he can easily sing just about anything he wants - as long as he can remember the words, that is.

Aparofan said:
I'd love to see Promenade!

PLEASE PLAY PROMENADE!!! just one time and I'd be happy forever - as long as I was at the show:wink:

Just for the record, Fast Cars was played live at the Bill Clinton Library opening on November 18, 2004.

Axver said:

The way I understand it, 1992-05-22 is the snippet, 1992-08-22 and 1992-09-15 were the incomplete song acoustic, and 1992-09-09 the full song acoustic.

Bootlegs of the two I've been told were incomplete would be appreciated, though.

I searched my collection and could only find 2 versions - damn, friends must have one!

Here they are -

U2 - Milan 22-5-92 - So Cruel - very good audience recording.

http://s44. you send it .com/d.aspx?id=0BF4T5OAXI7XV1NWJK5NH50G62

U2 - U2 - Foxboro 22-8-92 - So Cruel - 'pity about the yelling' audience recording.

http://s44. you send it .com/d.aspx?id=0N0FPT2LOK92032KH49CEQFETZ

zooropa.gif

"They're coming to a rock and roll concert and watching television. That says it all." Larry Mullen Jnr.

starvinmarvin said:
Just for the record, Fast Cars was played live at the Bill Clinton Library opening on November 18, 2004.

it was? I watched it on C-SPAN or whatever and they didn't show it, just Rain (Beatles), Sunday Bloody Sunday, and Hands That Built America.

Axver said:

I honestly don't know how much of Wake Up Dead Man has been done live. I've always counted it as a full song because they played it as a separate closer on Popmart, not as an extension of One.

I guess it's subjective. Those two So Cruels that we're questioning may count as proper performances; I was just told 1992-09-09 was the only full one. NYD never had the "and so we're told this is the golden age" verse played live, but no-one here's going to say it's never been played in full.

I was at the 9-9-92 and 9-15-92 shows. 9-9-92 Detroit was the only time he sang the whole thing, all verses and chorus's. At the 9-15-92 show he sang the first 2 verses and chorus's so that was more than the 8-22-92 Foxboro version in which he only did the first verse and chorus. Detroit 9-9-92 was the only time though Bono sang the "Love, like a screaming flower, love dying every hour" and then into the third verse "and you dont know if its fear or desire". Also a bit of useless trivia, Bono was going to do it for the Madison 9-13-92 show but changed his mind at the last second on stage and did All I Want Is You instead.

As far as my pick for a song that hasnt been done before live. There are the obvious ones like Heartland, Promenade and Red Hill Mining Town. But the really out of the ordinary one that I think would be great live would be a b side. Lady With The Spinning Head.

Last edited:
Red Hill was heavily soundchecked in Tennesee 1987.

So live versions would exist in the u2 tape archives.

Are the Detroit Zoo shows are some of the only few U2 shows with no circulating fan tape?

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
Red Hill was heavily soundchecked in Tennesee 1987.

So live versions would exist in the u2 tape archives.

Are the Detroit Zoo shows are some of the only few U2 shows with no circulating fan tape?

u2fp

The 9-9-92 has only surfaced incomplete (the MTV Video Award transmission) and there is no known recording of 9-15-92 Chicago in circulation.

Yes, they worked on Red Hill in soundcheck, but never really got it down or did a real full run through of it. I think we are referring to songs played live in concert though

starvinmarvin said:

No it wasn't. The set was Rain/SBS/Hands.

U2mixer said:

I searched my collection and could only find 2 versions - damn, friends must have one!

Here they are -

U2 - Milan 22-5-92 - So Cruel - very good audience recording.

http://s44. you send it .com/d.aspx?id=0BF4T5OAXI7XV1NWJK5NH50G62

U2 - U2 - Foxboro 22-8-92 - So Cruel - 'pity about the yelling' audience recording.

http://s44. you send it .com/d.aspx?id=0N0FPT2LOK92032KH49CEQFETZ

zooropa.gif

"They're coming to a rock and roll concert and watching television. That says it all." Larry Mullen Jnr.

Awesome, thanks! :up: Downloading them now.

How can U2 not play Red Hill Mining Town, Heartland, Acrobat, Electrical Storm, A Man And A Woman, Crumbs From Your Table, and play Pride like 700 times?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Totally unrealistic.............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mynthor said:
How can U2 not play Red Hill Mining Town, Heartland, Acrobat, Electrical Storm, A Man And A Woman, Crumbs From Your Table, and play Pride like 700 times?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Totally unrealistic.............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They can't play Red Hill Mining Town becauese the chorus strains Bono too much. They can't lower the key very much because of the chord fingerings the song requires Edge to use. It's possibly the same with Electrical Storm. Acrobat is a bit of a mistery, since it's one of Bono's favorite tunes of Achtung Baby. I'm sure we'll se A Man and A Women and Crumbs in some form or another by the end of the tour.

-Nick

Ghostwriter said:
Springsteen is off doing another of his one-man acts at the moment. Without the band he can easily sing just about anything he wants - as long as he can remember the words, that is.

right you are

in the past week or so hes been debuting about 2 or 3 new songs a show

and not one song from born to run yet:scratch:

Back
Top Bottom