what song do you think the band will open with on the new tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my guess is they open up with Vertigo. Although, I'd rather be thrown for a loop and hear something completely different and unexpected as an opener.

I doubt they will open with COBL. I'm hopeful they will return to the pattern of the eighties and open with an old song (Streets! Streets! The best opener ever, Streets!), but I get this feeling they will probably go for Vertigo.

Then again ... maybe not. U2 have never opened a set with the lead single from the album before. Hang on ... Desire might have opened a Lovetown concert in 1989. I have a pounding headache right now so I cannot remember if it ever made it into the first position or always remained in second.

Edit: I seriously did just go check every single Lovetown set. Desire never opened a show. My headache's fading away and I still can't remember any instance of a lead single opening a concert, so if Vertigo does open, it will make U2 setlist history. Oh wait, if you count Out Of Control, then I guess one lead single has. The very first single.

Last edited:
axver, what do you mean for "lead single"? the first single off an album? if so, beautiful day opened 10/10/01 South Bend, Indiana.
I think they'll open with vertigo.
don't think they'll waste streets as a first song:
1) it's the highlight of the U2 show
2) difficult to sing.
what do you think of the set played for TOTP?
I think that's promising: the new desire rocks big time, and the nearly full version of mystery girl...not bad.
add that to the various hints we had (electric, gloria, unfire, UV, zoo station, RTSS...) and you start having an awesome set!!!!!!!!

I don't think I'd want "Streets" as the opener. It fits so well in the middle of the show. I love the segue from the previous song; it just sounds like the opening was meant for that.

I think "Zoo Station" was a very good opener, but of course that won't happen this time. I think "Vertigo" would work well, and despite the history I think it might happen. It seems, thematically speaking, like the new "Zoo Station" to me.

Vertigo, definitely.

In fact, I'm betting it will be called the Vertigo tour.

Last edited:
I don't see Vertigo opening the show, but i also don't see it played later than the 2nd spot. It's not a song that will work later in the show, much like elevation from the last tour. I say either All Because of You or Vertigo, leaning more towards ABOY with Vertigo played 2nd.

Pretty much only Out of Control and 11 O'clock Tick Tock were the old songs used in the 80's to open shows and that was back on the War and UF tours. Since the Joshua Tree days, U2 has used the first song to set the theme of their current tour. To open with an old song and keep it the same everynight would make it feel like a Greates Hits show, and leg three of Elevation was close enough to that as you can get. We don't want U2 becoming that type of band. It has always been about the new material.

As for City of Blinding Lights first, i heard the TOTP version and it feels like an encore song to me.

If their second single (All Because of You?) turns out to be fantastic and popular and all those things Vertigo's enjoying now, they could open with that. But it'll probably be Vertigo. It's in that Elevation-esque vein.

gabriele1971 said:
axver, what do you mean for "lead single"? the first single off an album? if so, beautiful day opened 10/10/01 South Bend, Indiana.

Ah, valid point! That totally slipped my mind. So only ONCE has a lead single opened a U2 concert. I am positive it will not happen this time around. We haven't even heard half the album, so I don't think we can yet make a call on what will open.

don't think they'll waste streets as a first song:
1) it's the highlight of the U2 show
2) difficult to sing.

Hm, I disagree. I think it is the best opener ever played - just look at some JT and Lovetown shows! It was amazing. Rattle And Hum proves that. I agree with what another poster said about other songs flowing into it perfectly, but ... I still think no opener before or after it has been better.

what do you think of the set played for TOTP?
I think that's promising: the new desire rocks big time, and the nearly full version of mystery girl...not bad.
add that to the various hints we had (electric, gloria, unfire, UV, zoo station, RTSS...) and you start having an awesome set!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I was very pleased to hear an ELECTRIC Desire! Maybe U2 are moving away from the acoustic set and we are going to see some seriously rocking shows? Check outt the other hints - this is looking really good!

Aardvark747 said:
Gonna be Vertigo...pretty sure of it.

here´s something really interesting my friends... take a look to every U2 first single from an album, from Out Of Control to Beautiful Day :yes: ....does anyone can tell me when did the band used their first single as an opening song from that album tour ????? NEVER !!!!!!:shocked:

yes, for example:

The Fly was the second song on Zoo TV Tour, as well Beautiful Day was the second one on Elevation Tour. Discotheque was played at 3/4 the show, With Or Without You was played toward the end of Joshua Tree concerts. Also Pride ( in the name of love ) was played at 3/4 show during UF tour, etc, etc
So Vertigo won´t be the opening song ;)

1. Love and Peace or Else.
2. Vertigo.

Imagine that in a stadium. It will happen. Mark my words.

OK folks, it is official.

Street Mission will open.

You heard it here first!

Id love to hear ABOY open the show. Just imagine that one piercing guitar note as the very first thing you hear. That'd be awesome

2861U2, that would be awesome! I think I agree with andyuk though.

Imagine this: Totally dark...Adam starts with LAPOE bass line....Bono comes in unlit on HARMONICA.....then once we get to Larry's rapid drum part at 0:50, STROBE LIGHTS then dark again.....then at 1:30, the big flood lights followed by some swirling red lights and then on with show!!! Too dark? Eh, I'm definitely no Willie Williams! :lol:

If it truly is an arena show, do you think they would open with the lights on again?

(3rd song: I Threw a Brick Through a Window??? LOL)

UnforgettableLemon said:

After really listening to the album, I agree.

Can you imagine the older tune being Last Night on Earth? :hyper:

That would be :drool: .

The opening bass riff would be killer as the 3rd song in the setlist.

I think this will sound good:

Love Peace or Else
Vertigo
Last Night On Earth
UTEOTW

zoopop said:
I think this will sound good:

Love Peace or Else
Vertigo
Last Night On Earth
UTEOTW

1. LAPOE
2. Vertigo
3. LNOE
4. Zoo Station
5. Acrobat
6. UTEOTW
7. NYD

It'd never happen, but we'd all go totally loopy.

LOVE AND PEACE (btw there's NO 'OR ELSE' on CD back cover) check scan;
than
VERTIGO
or VERTIGO in encores

I'll think also Vertigo (the same as the clip, when Bono,Edge,Adam waiting for Larry) :yes:

( are you gonna wait 4ever , is a good song.....)

Back
Top Bottom