What happened to the Second Leg setlists?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Many postings here unfortunately are not very grounded on facts, but individual taste or emotions - which is not a way it should be for such a sensible topic.
Like it or not:
1. U2 never have been a band changing "dramatically" their setlists - that in fact were nearly mostly (last exceptions during a few 80ies gigs) built upon one important thing: the current tour album, that builds a kind of frame for the shows and occupies a good percentage of the nightly sets. So, the most important thing is: You should really want to hear the new tunes, when you go to the gigs. If you don't, only this point might be enough to make you unhappy, an eternal critics-person or even might stress you that much, to go for another band.
2. The rest of the spots always has has a strong weight on the so called "Greatest Hits" or U2 classics - this being the fact especially in stadium tours, where a lot of people have to be entertained - and that IS the priority. So: If you don't like these tracks (too) this might be your second chance to turn to other music or at least not lament anymore on the "logic" of the setlists...
3. There might be different spots (at least since the mid 80ies) reserved for "obscure" tracks, as Bono himself calls them - tunes, that might be not familiar to everybody in the audience, but they (mostly) let fans' hearts beat faster. Now: If you only search for those tunes in the setlist - poor boy/girl, you never will smile at the light of sun again.

The thing with the current tour has only one "problem": It started out in the arenas with the band hacing a really strong tour album and performing a very fine selection of "Greatest Hits" - and at nearly a nightly basis playing around with openers and closers (LAPOE, COBL, Vertigo, Bad, '40'), plus further on dusting off tracks from their brilliant, sadly too often neglected back catalogue (An Cat Dubh, Into The Heart, Gloria, The Ocean ...).

This ideas have changed or even dispappered in the stadiums of Europe: From the elder, "obscure" tracks of the past only very few have survived (The Electric Co., Zoo Station - and Running To Stand Still, at least until the Amsterdam Shows). "Only" one tune came there (Miss Sarajewo) and the other spots were filled with more classics in adition to those, that already were in the setlist (IWF, ISHFWILF, AIWIY - at least until Munich, WOWY). There has been no live premiere of any track from the current album, plus: U2 play a lot more single nights in short frequences - and they have worked out a setlist, that - apart from the snippets - reflect a rather static setlist at the moment, even for U2's standards. the wish, other old "obscure" tunes might appear until now has not been realized, neither tracks from the '93-'97 period of ZOOROPA and POP.

Of course there are outstanding nights over here, too: The three Dublin shows - without a doubt the musical highlight of the whole European leg -, some elements at Amsterdam, especially the 2nd half of third night being easily as strong as the Croker ones and some multiple nights. On the single nights, the only good setlist surprise is the casual addition of Party Girl, the big minus the loss of Yahweh therefore - and, since Munich, another spot in the general setlist between ISHFWILF and COBL. Yeah, folks, the band can play shorter and less than the night before, too.

In the end, I can only declare for myself: I am very much interested in setlists; I like it, when the band decides to switch the setlists - and I do really love the current stadium setlist. U2 are playing for more than two hours a very strong and moving tracklist with a mixture of the elements I described above, covering (nearly) all phases of their career. It leaves me dancing, singing and celebrating - memories, I'll keep forever. Not more, not less. And when they decide to play a "special song", well, what more do I want. Hey, it is U2 out there and they are playing one of their strongest tours ever. So I wish to all of you for the forthcoming shows to enjoy it - and not to spend too much time thinking, what COULD BE - but, what there IS!

lazarus said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dave Matthews Band does not play in "barnyards". I don't know what sized venues they play in Europe, but in the U.S. they are a stadium act, a multiple night stadium act if they choose.

I think the DMB is lucky when they can fill a club here.

Dave Matthews plays ampitheatres (aka "sheds") each summer - he is definitely NOT a "stadium act" in the US (yes, he has sold out Giants Stadium, but he could not and never has done a full length North American STADIUM tour ala Stones/Floyd/Springsteen/U2).

Doing an isolated stadium show does not make one a stadium act. Moreover, Dave Matthews' popularity has waned since ~1998, so although he has played a couple Northeast stadiums (Foxboro, Giants, Philly) in the past amidst an ampitheatre tour, that was three/four albums ago for him and it's highly debatable whether he could fill a stadium today, I'd venture no.

Selling out an ampitheatre of ~25K is a different ballgame from filling football stadiums of ~65K.

all i can say is ask someone here in europe wwho dave mathhews is and they will have a serious blank look on there face

KUEFC09U2 said:
all i can say is ask someone here in europe wwho dave mathhews is and they will have a serious blank look on there face

As blank as his music? :wink:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :reject:

KUEFC09U2 said:
but your right, the word "jam" band or wedding band springs to mind

yeah. I can't say that I'm a fan of his.....

And U2 should not emulate as much setlist variety as he has. I guess it doesn't matter what you play when your songs don't matter....

KUEFC09U2 said:
but your right, the word "jam" band or wedding band springs to mind

And just how many DMB albums do you own?
These opinions about Dave Matthews are obviously not made by people who have listened to his entire catalog of music. He is not in the league of Bruce Springsteen or U2 but if you gave him a chance I think that you would find out that he's got a TON of awesome songs!

wedding band....I think not!

I think there has been plenty of great rock and roll bands who were greeted by blank stares from people who just don't give them a chance.

Everyone has different taste but I'm really glad that I live in the Rock and Roll Capital of the World because music is so important in my life!:wink:

Rhino34 said:

And just how many DMB albums do you own?
These opinions about Dave Matthews are obviously not made by people who have listened to his entire catalog of music. He is not in the league of Bruce Springsteen or U2 but if you gave him a chance I think that you would find out that he's got a TON of awesome songs!

wedding band....I think not!

I think there has been plenty of great rock and roll bands who were greeted by blank stares from people who just don't give them a chance.

Everyone has different taste but I'm really glad that I live in the Rock and Roll Capital of the World because music is so important in my life!:wink:

I don't own any and I don't plan on buying any. Cool that you like him, but I don't.

Back
Top Bottom