What classics will come back on the next tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clifedge

War Child
So a number of former staple songs reappeared on the Vertigo tour: Gloria, The Electric Co., Running to Stand Still, An Cat Dubh and maybe a couple others.

What are a few former concert staples that you think may reappear on the next tour? I'm not talking about rarities, just songs that used to be commonplace in concerts, but haven't been played in years.

I'd like:

Exit
In God's Country
Stay
Ultraviolet
Two Hearts Beat As One

They've said they hated Two Hearts Beat As One, and In God's Country... so that might be a toughie...

I'd like to see Discotheque, Love Rescue Me, One Tree Hill, Like A Song...

theu2fly said:
They've said they hated Two Hearts Beat As One, and In God's Country... so that might be a toughie...

No they haven't. Edge has said that apparently he dislikes playing THBAO, and Bono found it hard to keep in time for In God's Country. The entire band doesn't dislike playing them, though.

Personally, I'd like to see 11 O'clock Tick Tock and Twilight return. Also, the world would be a better place if One Tree Hill and Exit were regulars, and I don't think we could go wrong with either Last Night On Earth or Gone.

But what WILL come back? I think it's impossible to say at this stage, not knowing quite what sound or theme the band is going for. I do think it's about time for When Love Comes To Town and The Unforgettable Fire to come back into the set though, given they're both popular songs and on the Best Of 1980-1990.

I say Gone, The Unforgettable Fire, a full band Desire, and Exit return.

although I'd love to see more, those seem the most likely

I'd pin Desire as likely, as well as Angel of Harlem. IMO it sounds fantastic any way it's played. Discotheque, possibly, but I won't get my hopes up based on its short-lived Vertigo run. I wouldn't be surprised if Stay or Even Better Than the Real Thing showed up again.

I don't think they have played Even Better Than The Real Thing since PopMart, so maybe they could introduce that into the encore. They seem to have been playing a lot of songs from Achtung Baby during the Vertigo Tour so this makes it even more plausible.

There haven't been that many songs from Rattle and Hum though. I've noticed that Angel of Harlem and Desire haven't appeared in the setlists, only All I want Is You. Therefore, these could also appear in the next leg of the tour, but I'm less optimistic than seeing the Boy songs coming back for example.

The Unforgettable Fire would be a top choice for me, it's one of my favourite U2 songs but I'm not sure if Bono would want to sing it. I thought he was under instructions to avoid certain songs that strain his vocal chords or require him to sing in a certain way.

From hearing recordings of the song during The Joshua Tree tour, the song lacked the fullness/soundscape sound of the recorded version, a bit like Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me on Popmart. I'd only like to hear these songs with a greater sound than can be created by the band themselves, either by using backing tracks or additional musicians i.e. the Lovetown tour with the brass players, they could intorduce violinists etc.

That's the one things U2 hasn't done in a while and would add something extra to their concerts of recent years. I'm not saying they should have extra musicians for the whole concert but for certains songs like UF and HMKMKM or even All I Want Is You.

The songs mentioned here would be like :drool: on the next tour.

I'd love to hear Even Better Than again, and Mysterious Ways with the ZooTV intro. The Unforgettable Fire would be great, but Bono's vocals may not be able to handle it.

theu2fly said:

I'd like to see Discotheque, Love Rescue Me, One Tree Hill, Like A Song...

Yeah...forgot about Discotheque and One Tree Hill :drool:

Thanksandy said:

I thought he was under instructions to avoid certain songs that strain his vocal chords or require him to sing in a certain way.

Really? Where did you hear that?:ohmy:

Thanksandy said:
I don't think they have played Even Better Than The Real Thing since PopMart, so maybe they could introduce that into the encore. They seem to have been playing a lot of songs from Achtung Baby during the Vertigo Tour so this makes it even more plausible.

Actually, EBTTRT was played at 10 shows on Elevation's first leg. It was also apparently rehearsed for the Vertigo Tour; a list of tunings showed up (from Seattle, I think?) listing some HTDAAB songs and some older ones, and out of all of the songs on the list, I believe the only song that wasn't played on Vertigo was EBTTRT - though at the time the list leaked, some of the older songs hadn't yet been done.

So I'd agree it's definitely plausible.

There haven't been that many songs from Rattle and Hum though. I've noticed that Angel of Harlem and Desire haven't appeared in the setlists, only All I want Is You. Therefore, these could also appear in the next leg of the tour, but I'm less optimistic than seeing the Boy songs coming back for example.

Well, Angel Of Harlem and Desire have both been done once on Vertigo, though impromptu. I think they have a pretty decent chance of appearing on the final leg if U2 do a setlist shake-up, as RAH is U2's most successful album in Australia. It would make sense to play tunes like those here.

From hearing recordings of the song during The Joshua Tree tour, the song lacked the fullness/soundscape sound of the recorded version, a bit like Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me on Popmart. I'd only like to hear these songs with a greater sound than can be created by the band themselves, either by using backing tracks or additional musicians i.e. the Lovetown tour with the brass players, they could intorduce violinists etc.

Wait, what, you're saying UF and HMTMKMKM are weaker live than studio? I would have to emphatically disagree there. In favour of HMTMKMKM, I present the 1997-07-31, Mannheim performance, which is so good that I simply can't listen to the studio version any more because it sounds so weak and insipid. And UF was taken to another level live; I particularly love the 1985-03-21, Chicago performance.

Wait, what, you're saying UF and HMTMKMKM are weaker live than studio? I would have to emphatically disagree there. In favour of HMTMKMKM, I present the 1997-07-31, Mannheim performance, which is so good that I simply can't listen to the studio version any more because it sounds so weak and insipid. [/B]

Aaahh! Hook me up! My version from Melbourne is something else, if there is better i need it!

Id like to see them focus on some songs from Unfire on the next tour. Seeing Bad wasnt played too much on Vertigo it could come back in with maybe UF and Homecoming. Ahhh..

Speaking of The Unforgettable Fire. I dont have a good live version of this song! Every version I have Bono's voice is off and he cant hit the notes. I challenge you all to post me your best version of this song!

bono_man said:
Speaking of The Unforgettable Fire. I dont have a good live version of this song! Every version I have Bono's voice is off and he cant hit the notes. I challenge you all to post me your best version of this song!

I don't have it on my computer right now and I've no bloody clue where the CD has gone, but hopefully someone can post the 21 March 1985, Chicago performance. The quality of the recording is amazing; it's supposedly an audience boot but it sounds almost professional.

I would like to hear those Elevation versions of EBTTRT - are they any good?

Regardless, I would like to see it return. I also think (electric) Desire ala ZOOTV would be cool. Please should be put in there as well.

Oh, and SDABTA :)

bono_man said:

Come on....

If I see any of these songs next tour, I'll be happy:

Seconds
A Sort of Homecoming
Wire
Exit
In God's Country
Hawkmoon 269
Desire (full band electric)
God Part 2
Ultraviolet
EBTTRT
Lemon
Mofo
Gone
Please
New York
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Electrical Storm
HMTMKMKM

bono_man said:
Id like to see them focus on some songs from Unfire on the next tour. Seeing Bad wasnt played too much on Vertigo it could come back in with maybe UF and Homecoming. Ahhh..

What a great thought on the Unforgettable Fire songs.... Could you just imagine having a chance to see/hear:

Unforgettable Fire
A Sort of Homecoming
Bad
or how about Wire again......

One could only dream....:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Other Songs:
Seconds
Dirty Day
UltraViolet (just for Axver)
In God's Country
One Tree Hill
Last Night on Earth
Walk On

Last edited:
-Desire (of course full band electric)
-I'd like to see Ultra Violet but I don't think they'll play it, and if they do, they won't play it like they did on ZooTV it will be more acoustic like they did with Desire
-Dirty Day
-Unforgettable Fire
-I'd love to see them play EBTTRT
-Please but I also think they will play acoustic if they do..
-Lemon, that would be really interesting:drool:
-A Celebration :drool: :drool: :drool:
-Last Night on Earth

tpsglick2424 said:
-Desire (of course full band electric)
-I'd like to see Ultra Violet but I don't think they'll play it, and if they do, they won't play it like they did on ZooTV it will be more acoustic like they did with Desire
-Dirty Day
-Unforgettable Fire
-I'd love to see them play EBTTRT
-Please but I also think they will play acoustic if they do..
-Lemon, that would be really interesting:drool:
-A Celebration :drool: :drool: :drool:
-Last Night on Earth

although it would be nice, forget them ever playing a celebration again. the band have publicly said they hate the song and rumor has it that larry had the mastertape burned :(

id like to see
-FULL version of gloria with the bass solo,
-anything from pop!!
-anything from zooropa (minus the first time)
-surrender (does edge still have his lap steel?:eyebrow:)
-i threw a brick into a day without me :drool:
-EBTTRT
-HMTMKMKM

Even Better Than The Real Thing
Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
Zooropa
11 O'Clock Tick Tock
The Unforgettable Fire
MOFO
Last Night On Earth

I'll project a setlist:

1. NEW OPENER
2. NEW SONG
3. VERTIGO
4. BEAUTIFUL DAY
5. 11 O'CLOCK TICK TOCK
6. LAST NIGHT ON EARTH
7. CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS
8. NEW SONG
9. NEW SONG
10. THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE
11. NEW SONG
12. LOVE AND PEACE OR ELSE
13. SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY
14. BULLET THE BLUE SKY
15. PLEASE
16. WHERE THE STREETS HAVE NO NAME
17. PRIDE

18. MOFO
19. DISCOTHEQUE
20. WITH OR WITHOUT YOU

21. ALL BECAUSE OF YOU
22. NEW SONG
23. LOVE RESCUE ME
24. NEW SONG

electric must happen!! this went off when i saw them in NY.

wouldnt mind Fast Cars and well as disco!

1. New Song
2. New Song
3. Even Better than the Real Thing/HMTMKMKM
4. Mysterious Ways
5. One - MLK
6. Unforgettable Fire
7. Bad/Sort of Homecoming
8. Sunday Bloody Sunday
9. New Song
10. New Song
11. Miracle Drug/Please (acoustic)
12. New Song (acoustic)
13. Until the End of the World
14. New Years Day
15. Out of Control/11:00 Tick Tock
16. Vertigo

17. Where the Streets Have No Name
18. I Will Follow/Gloria
19. Still Havent Found
20. With or Without You

21. In a Little While
22. New Song (slow)

Last edited:
I'm sticking my neck and say that IMHO they won't play any classic oldie. THe obscure stuff just didn't get the thunderous reception they probably hoped for. It pleases the diehards but it seemed to have caused greater cues at the drinks stands and toilets. Also as the the tour progressed the Boy stuff more or less disappeared from the standard setlist. It's the plague of being a superband. To many casual fans.

So next tour will most likely be the standard mix of greatest hits and new material. Which isn't that bad in itself. For most bands their age a new album is just an excuse to tour and play greatest hits only. Playing up to seven new songs every tour and getting them well received is quit an accomplishment.

Back
Top Bottom