What classics will come back on the next tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:

No they haven't. Edge has said that apparently he dislikes playing THBAO, and Bono found it hard to keep in time for In God's Country. The entire band doesn't dislike playing them, though.

Interseting thoughts on God's Country but after reading U2BYU2 it seems the whole band dislikes the song. I do however agree with you Ax on acoustic versions in general. But the acoustuc version of God's Country from Elevation tours is even better that the regular Joshua Tree live version imho.

A Celebration...

Not a snowflake's chance in hell, but it's my favourite U2 song, and I think ti would slot in seamlessly to the current set.

UNFORGETTABLE FIRE
ULTRA VIOLET
EXIT
ONE TREE HILL
GOD PART II
MOFO
DADDYS GONNA PAY FOR YOUR CRASHED CAR
LOVE IS BLINDNESS
INDIAN SUMMER SKY
DROWNING MAN
SPANISH EYES
I FALL DOWN
A DAY WITHOUT ME
STREET MISSION

:drool:

BobaFett said:
A Celebration...

Not a snowflake's chance in hell, but it's my favourite U2 song, and I think ti would slot in seamlessly to the current set.

Apparantly a fan asked Bono about A Celebration in LA on the first leg. He looked at her like she was nuts and basically said politely, not happening. :shrug: Would be cool though, I agree.

I had a list of three songs I have wanted to them to bring back since Zoo.

Electric Co
Hawkmoon 269 (full band, not an acoustic impromptu once)
God Part II

I obviously got my wish on one of them. Two more to go! Unfortunately I doubt my remaining two will ever be done, especially full band Hawkmoon.

What makes a comeback next tour will depend one what the new album is like. The band thought Bomb reminded them of their earlier songs, so they thought those fit the setlist as a result. Thats why we got Electric Co, The Ocean, An Cat Dubh.

Songs I could see being done again eventually would be:

-Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
-Unforgettable Fire (They rehearsed it for Elevation)
-Even Better Than The Real Thing (you can count on this one to be back eventually, fairly easy for the band to do w/limited rehearsal)
-Stay (sort of surprised it wasnt done at all on Vertigo)
-When Love Comes To Town
-October (one reason, simple to rehearse)

there are so many amazing songs that will never see the light of day, while pride/one/wowy/bullet/etc... will contine to get played over and over again, its kinda sad.

I agree with Chizip. I think the staples of Bullet, Pride, One, WOWY, End of the World, should make way for some "new oldies". How cool would it be to hear Lemon again??? In Gods Country and Hawkmoon269 are also crowd pleasers

drifter269 said:
I agree with Chizip. I think the staples of Bullet, Pride, One, WOWY, End of the World, should make way for some "new oldies". How cool would it be to hear Lemon again??? In Gods Country and Hawkmoon269 are also crowd pleasers

I agree with Chizip, but totally disagree with your saying IGC & Hawkmoon are crowd pleaser's!

I think IGC is medium-core fan, and Hawkmoon definitely hardcore. Mind you, I also thought ACD/ITH combo was highly obscure and that was brought back.

Lemon would be delicious, but it won't happen. A snippet on the end of an existing tune would be possible.

If I were a casual fan, I would be very pissed off if they placated fans such as us with something like:

No One, WOWY, Pride, Bullet
and replaced with Lemon, Mofo, Street Mission & Daddy's Gonna Pay

If they would bring back the last three songs of Achtung Baby, I would never ask for any other song.

OK, maybe Mofo, Dirty Day and Exit as well.

If Window indicates their next direction, kind of an atmoshpheric Beatles-ish pop deal. I'd say we'll see:

The Unforgettable Fire
Heartland (ever played live?)
Love Rescue Me
Ultraviolet
Please
Tyring To Throw Your Arms Around The World
Love Is Blindness

Last edited:
I'm hoping that next tour we get songs like Wire, God Part 2, Exit, Ultraviolet, Tryin to Throw Your Arms Around the World (it could work as an alternate to Party Girl, a fun song for special occasions), Please, New York, and Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me.

The band could manage to satisfy both hardcore and casual fans alike in a 22-24 songs setlist. If you have 9 songs from the new album and 10 classics, that still leaves room for about 5 or 6 rare gems.

It would be quite interesting to see what classics will be back next tour.

But these should get a rest for a tour or two? ,

Pride:madspit: ( at some Elevation Shows that I went to it was NOT played (Arnhem 07-31-01 , I didn`t miss it at all that night )
ISHFWILF ( overplayed like Pride )
WOWY ( see above )
Sunday Bloody Sunday ( it was ok on Elevation and super during Vertigo but it needs a rest again )
Bullet ( this should get replaced by Love & Peace or Else )
Mysterious Ways ( played quite a lot since Zoo-TV , needs a rest )

Now these classics I would like to see back.
Gone ( how could they skip this song during the Vertigo tour? )
Please ( nuff said )
Bad ( this should get played every night , seen it lots of times but really missed it at the 3 Amsterdam shows last year )
The Fly ( there should be no tour without it )

Cheers ,

Mauwer

Bring back Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World... and that includes Bono with champagne and a girl each night. Hehe.

Give me...

1.A Sort Of Homecoming
2.Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
3.Gone

...and I'll break the rule of the thread and say a delicate, haunting acoustic version of Hawkmoon269 that segues into With Or Without You :drool:

Here goes (* = new song):

1. *
2. Even Better Than The Real Thing
3. One
4. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
5. Surrender
6. City Of Blinding Lights
7. *
8. *
9. *
10. The Unforgettable Fire
11. *
12. Gloria
13. In God's Country
14. Where The Streets Have No Name
15. *

16. Discotheque
17. Please
18. Lemon

19. Van Dieman's Land
20. *
21. Beautiful Day

This is bloomin' impossible....the job of creating a perfect and balanced setlist is not easy!

How do you cater for:

1. The demand to feature a decent amount of new material
2. The demands of the casual fan who might only be familiar with the hits, or the songs from the best-ofs.
3. The demands of the longtime hardcore fan who craves the rarities.

That said, I do think U2 should wheel out the following classics for the next tour:

- 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
- Gloria (though I'm biased)
- A Sort Of Homecoming
- The Unforgettable Fire
- Real Thing
- Lemon
- Discotheque

It is perhaps worth considering how the next album could possibly have a hip-hop influence. If so, perhaps we will see old songs that might blend in especially well with new "hip-hop-influenced" songs.

Who knows....

Back
Top Bottom