what about pop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earthshell

The Fly
When I saw the setlist for the rehearsal on Sunday I didn't see any pop songs at all. I kinda wish they play staring at the sun, Gone, maybe last night on earth would be a good song to follow love peace or else. I think Gone would be a great song to follow Sometimes as well. By that's just my opinion.

I'd like to see Please make a regular appearance to the tour. I think I could do w/o Staring At The Sun though. Gone or Last Night On Earth would be nice!

discotheque, mofo, if you wear that velvet dress, please, last night on earth, playboy mansion, if god will send his angels all would be great songs on this tour...

You probably won't see Playboy Mansion, as they've never played it live (only a snippet in Streets) or probably If God Will Send His Angels, since they axed that one pretty quickly, too.

Discotheque is not very likely as it was axed pretty quickly in Elevation, but it might make a return appearence, who knows.

Mofo I don't think likely. That song was very ... unique to popmart, I think, and would be a surprise. Of course, Zoo Station was a surprise at the public rehearsals, too...

Please has the most possibility of the songs you've listed, I think. The acoustic version done on the Elevation 3rd leg fit very well and is thematically connected with a lot of the songs currently rumored for this tour, so...

If You Wear That Velvet Dress would be awesome. I've always wanted to hear a full version of the song, better still, one like the Jools Holland version, which is one of my top 10 all-time favorite U2 songs. Its chances of being resurrected live, however, are probably slim to none.

As for Last Night on Earth, it could be done, but I'd be surprised. It seemed to be pretty connected to the PopMart/shopping idea, so I would be surprised if it came back at all (but see Zoo Station comments above).

It's a shame, because these are great songs (well, I never liked Playboy Mansion much, but...) that, in the right context, could be awesome, I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

If you wear that velvet dress is the song that brought the opening night show of the PopMart tour in Vegas to a resounding halt. Tha song is horrible on the album, even worse live.

I'd love to hear Mofo though.

I will grant that Velvet Dress on the album was pretty weak. Live it was OK (though I think the full version might have helped - it didn't make a whole lot of sense (to me at least) ), but the JOols Holland version beats them all.

Mofo live would certainly be interesting, particularly if the "rockied" it up a bit, or did something other than the electronica/synth-fest that it was on Popmart.

you people should be embarassed.

"rock" up mofo? what the fuck are you talking about? have you ever even listened to the song?

Granted, it's been a while, and what I was commenting on more was the extensive use of synths in the song. That has always bothered me. I don't particularly like it when U2 (or anyone else) uses backing tracks, it takes away form the 'live" feel. For a really obvious example (to me, at least) check out Evanescence's "An;ywhere But Home" DVD - that show is so filled with backing tracks taken pretty much directly from the album that it barely feels like a live show at all.

When U2 got Velvet Dress down it was a true staple for the Popmart tour. The lemon acting as an mirrorball was so :drool:

Harbinger said:
Granted, it's been a while, and what I was commenting on more was the extensive use of synths in the song. That has always bothered me. I don't particularly like it when U2 (or anyone else) uses backing tracks, it takes away form the 'live" feel. For a really obvious example (to me, at least) check out Evanescence's "An;ywhere But Home" DVD - that show is so filled with backing tracks taken pretty much directly from the album that it barely feels like a live show at all.

why are you using an evanescence song to make your point in regards to u2's pop?

why do you even listen to evanescence at all?

no wonder you don't like mofo when you'd rather be listening to garbage like that.

I like all sorts of music. U2 is one of my absolute favorite bands and most of their songs beat the pants off anything Evanescence has done. My point in comparing Evanescence's live show to U2's live show (or Popmart at least) was mreoly the fact that a lot of background tracks (like the synths on Mofo or a lot of the more orchestral sounds on the Evanescence songs) take away the "live" feeling for me.

And it's not that I don't like mofo, it just never "did it" for me the way so many of U2's other songs have. I can't say that about many U2 songs (and if it makes you feel any better, I can say that about a greater percentage of Evanescence's, though U2 has a lot more material to draw from, so it's not an entirely fair comparison, but...)

Back
Top Bottom