Vertigo Tour : Are the acoustic tunes a good or a bad thing????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mauwer

War Child
Freinds ,

Are the acoustic tunes a good or a bad thing????

I for one didn`t expect it to happen , especially after the first two legs.
And the start of the third was a blast with Discotheque.
I actually could see the band play Discotheque one night and the other night Zoo Station.
But instead they seem to have chosen to go acoustic for two songs during the 1st encore.

So what ya all think Friends????

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. Where oh where is The Fly:sad: :sad: :sad:

The songs aren't bad. The First Time is amazing, Stuck acoustic is decent...though Wild Horses does stink (though I know I'm in the minority with that opinion)

I just think it's bad placement to have them open up the first encore, especially after what we are ussed to having for the first 2 legs. And especially, especially after seeing the new version of Discotheque.

So, the songs = good, the placement = bad.

Though I've heard rumors that Larry could be hurting, thus making the accoustic songs necessary as well as taking out a couple of the rockers. This could be the first sign of old age negatively effecting their live performances, sad to see.

Chizip said:

Though I've heard rumors that Larry could be hurting, thus making the accoustic songs necessary as well as taking out a couple of the rockers. This could be the first sign of old age negatively effecting their live performances, sad to see.

Is this the same source that told you they were rehearsing Lemon? :laugh: They like the encore with the acoustic stuff and WOWY. Thats the reason.

Well Larry has been seen wearing a sling since the 2nd leg...

Also, they had Zoo station/The Fly originally planned in the encore for the last NY show, and changed it at the very last second. Now why would they do that? Well maybe one reason is because Larry wasn't feeling well enough for the rockers. Just a guess though.

Last edited:
Chizip said:

Also, they had Zoo station/The Fly originally planned in the encore for the last NY show, and changed it at the very last second. Now why would they do that? Well maybe one reason is because Larry wasn't feeling well enough for the rockers. Just a guess though.

:laugh: because they felt like it. Its not some conspiracy here. Good Lord.

Larry has had problems with his wrists and hands since The Joshua Tree tour. The slower 1st encores have nothing to do with that condition. He wouldnt be able to play period if it was that bad, it would have nothing to do with the tempo of the song. He plays drums on most of Wild Horses still and obviously on WOWY. How would not playing on ONE song make any kind of difference? It wouldnt.

Chizip said:

or maybe because some people were moaning that they wanted the band to be spontanious? and thats what it was right? if they had 2 songs that were orginally on the setlist, but then dropped them in favour of 2 songs that werent on the setlist, then thats being spontanoius right? also larry still had to drum on wild horses, so i cant see him hurting being the reason why they didnt do the original encore

Well maybe I'm just in denial that U2 would really think an acoustic first encore is better than what they had been doing, or could do with the new amazing discotheque.

And you're right KUEF, U2 planning to do something different (for this leg) but then at the last minute deciding to use this legs most standard encore is exactly the kind of spontaneaty that we love to see :up:

Encore(s): The First Time, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, With or Without You, All Because of You, Fast Cars, Original of the Species, 40

cant really see anything thats "standard" about that encore, considering the show before it featured 3 different songs, and with or without you closing a show for the first time this tour

The First Time (acoustic), Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of, Fast Cars, All Because of You, Crumbs From Your Table, Yahweh, With or Without You

and surley going back to Zoo Station/The fly would just be going back further towards the first leg? i mean i would love to see discotheque again, and i am in no doubt we will, but they still have 5 shows left in new york, so if they played it now, then again the last show of this stint, and then again in novemember, it would be back to repeating themselves wouldnt it?

Last edited:
The First Time, Wild Horses, and WOWY has basically settled in to become the "standard" first encore of the 3rd leg.

Zoo Station/The Fly has only been seen at the first show of this leg.

Chizip said:
The First Time, Wild Horses, and WOWY has basically settled in to become the "standard" first encore of the 3rd leg.

Zoo Station/The Fly has only been seen at the first show of this leg.
which leaves 3 songs that are in rotation, which in fairness still=variation

KUEFC09U2 said:
which leaves 3 songs that are in rotation, which in fairness still=variation

what the hell are you talking about.

my main point was planning to use zoo station/the fly and then at the last minute changing to the first time/wild horses was that they changed to the more "standard" encore songs for this leg

If the acoustic songs were more rehearsed they'd be better and stronger. They seem too sloppy. I want a tight band when I pay good money not a meandering version of a song.

Chizip said:

what the hell are you talking about.

my main point was planning to use zoo station/the fly and then at the last minute changing to the first time/wild horses was that they changed to the more "standard" encore songs for this leg
never mind sorry, think i have just totally lost the point in this thread, my bad :up:

Iskra said:
If the acoustic songs were more rehearsed they'd be better and stronger. They seem too sloppy. I want a tight band when I pay good money not a meandering version of a song.

but the mistakes make your show special :|

Iskra said:
the accoustic first time is AMAZING, i also like the new arrangement for stuck in a moment, but everyone to there own

Blue Room said:

:laugh: because they felt like it. Its not some conspiracy here. Good Lord.

Larry has had problems with his wrists and hands since The Joshua Tree tour. The slower 1st encores have nothing to do with that condition. He wouldnt be able to play period if it was that bad, it would have nothing to do with the tempo of the song. He plays drums on most of Wild Horses still and obviously on WOWY. How would not playing on ONE song make any kind of difference? It wouldnt.

That said...

I remember him saying in a newspaper article during the first leg that he hasn't been so tired on tour since the late 80's shows. Wonder if his wrist condition gets worse as the years go by in general or does it just hurt when he's on tour. Could this mean shorter tours in the future?

This is the first tour in a long time that hasn't used the acoustic bit (does 3rd leg encore count or does it only count if it's in the main set?) and bringing out songs like Gloria, Electric co, Zoo station and The fly must have had an efffect on him.

As for the question, I don't care for Stuck or Walk on in this version, I think they were better on Elevation. LOVE First time though.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

That said...

I remember him saying in a newspaper article during the first leg that he hasn't been so tired on tour since the late 80's shows. Wonder if his wrist condition gets worse as the years go by in general or does it just hurt when he's on tour. Could this mean shorter tours in the future?

This is the first tour in a long time that hasn't used the acoustic bit (does 3rd leg encore count or does it only count if it's in the main set?) and bringing out songs like Gloria, Electric co, Zoo station and The fly must have had an efffect on him.

Do you have a link to the article? Does he just say he is tired or does he say his wrists hurt? Because they are not the same thing by any means. If Bono says he is tired does that translate to his vocal chords are shot? NO Whats the difference?

Also, why MUST those songs you listed have had an effect on him? What is the basis for that? He plays drums for 2 hours, that is what would have the effect, not specific songs.

ALOT of conjecture on here with no basis is what I see. Maybe he is having problems with his wrists. From what you and Chizip have said though there is no indication that Larry's health is having or has had any effect on the setlist in any way. People exaggerating or saying things like this is how BS rumors get started on the net.

Last edited:
Well he said very tired, not hurt wrists. Didn't save the article from half a year ago obviously.

(*I* thought he meant his wrists by that.)

I know he plays for two hours, but Vertigo has a more energized set than their previous 3 tours due to the song choices and lack of acoustic songs. (till leg 3 anyway) Plus he's not getting any younger.

Just an opinion.

Blue Room said:

Do you have a link to the article? Does he just say he is tired or does he say his wrists hurt? Because they are not the same thing by any means. If Bono says he is tired does that translate to his vocal chords are shot? NO Whats the difference?

Also, why MUST those songs you listed have had an effect on him? What is the basis for that? He plays drums for 2 hours, that is what would have the effect, not specific songs.

ALOT of conjecture on here with no basis is what I see. Maybe he is having problems with his wrists. From what you and Chizip have said though there is no indication that Larry's health is having or has had any effect on the setlist in any way. People exaggerating or saying things like this is how BS rumors get started on the net.
i think U2girl just means the pace of the drumming could have an affect on him, for instance his drumming on electric co or i will follow is alot faster than it is on with or without you

U2girl said:

I know he plays for two hours, but Vertigo has a more energized set than their previous 3 tours due to the song choices and lack of acoustic songs. (till leg 3 anyway) Plus he's not getting any younger.

So you are saying that Vertigo is more energized than Zoo TV, Popmart and Elevation? Please explain? Elevation would have maybe 2 acoustic songs, of which Larry would still typically play on one of them.

Also, again, why would the song choices have anything to do with it? I think some of you think that a fast paced song hurts his wrists more. Not the case, playing period hurts the wrists. Its more about his drum pattern than the pace of the song. I guess under this theory Zoo started the acoustic set because it was better for Larry's wrists? Umm, no

I know its your opinion but I'm having a hard time understanding your reasoning or your facts that support it. I dont think there are any. If you have an article or interview where Larry or any other member of the band comments about it specifically you would have a point.

the interview was were larry said something along the lines of "i havent felt this drained after a show before" thus meaning he is tired, i cant remember anything about his wrists in the article i read

Blue Room said:

So you are saying that Vertigo is more energized than Zoo TV, Popmart and Elevation? Please explain? Elevation would have maybe 2 acoustic songs, of which Larry would still typically play on one of them.

Also, again, why would the song choices have anything to do with it? I think some of you think that a fast paced song hurts his wrists more. Not the case, playing period hurts the wrists. Its more about his drum pattern than the pace of the song. I guess under this theory Zoo started the acoustic set because it was better for Larry's wrists? Umm, no

I know its your opinion but I'm having a hard time understanding your reasoning or your facts that support it. I dont think there are any. If you have an article or interview where Larry or any other member of the band comments about it specifically you would have a point.

I just explained why, again, IMO, Vertigo is more energized. Larry didn't play on acoustic songs on Elevation (IMO "acoustic" meaning songs only Bono and Edge play). He's playing the full set - he last played on Lovetown, 15 years ago. Also Vertigo has on average more songs played.

I didn't say Zoo TV started the acoustic* bit because it helped Larry's wrists - and he played on those songs anyway.
I'm sure he doesn't mind the little break nowadays though.

:shrug: What else could he be tired from? I haven't noticed any back problem reports and there are pics with a sort of sling on his arms.

Last edited:
I'm just gonna say....U2girl and Chizip are right. Larry's back hurts so much nowadays, he cannot even wash his hair anymore :shrug:

Well, to get back to the original topic ...

I'm known for my dislike of acoustic sets. I particularly loathe Elevation's acoustic set. That's why I'm so surprised I like what they're doing now, especially the beautiful version of Stuck. WGRYWH is much better electric, but I do like this acoustic version. As far as the placement goes, though, I was listening to The First Time from Boston II last night and it made me cringe to hear people screaming and yelling through the song - it's such a beautiful song, but everyone's ready to dance and yell for the first encore. The song definitely has to be moved.

U2Man said:
I'm just gonna say....U2girl and Chizip are right. Larry's back hurts so much nowadays, he cannot even wash his hair anymore :shrug:

Ok, see, THAT is physical proof!! :laugh: :up:

Sorry, I know you guys are giving your opinions, I just think they are baseless in the context of what this thread is about. I hope someone asks the band your specific questions so we can hear about or see the look of bewilderment on the bands faces when asked.

Oh, alot of the Lovetown sets were actually shorter than the last three tours.

Blue Room said:
Oh, alot of the Lovetown sets were actually shorter than the last three tours.

Well, not just Lovetown, but the whole eighties. The 85 minute sets of the UF Tour are a real pain when burning bootlegs, as I found out last night!

Though Elevation's sets did end up becoming shorter on the third leg, some shows having only 19-20 songs.

Axver said:
I'm known for my dislike of acoustic sets. I particularly loathe Elevation's acoustic set. That's why I'm so surprised I like what they're doing now, especially the beautiful version of Stuck.
I think I'll echo these comments. I've never been a big acoustic fan, and I remember being bored hearing Satellite Of Love played live, but I simply cannot argue against the current acoustic encore.

I loved the heck out of the AB encores in the spring, and I enjoyed them while they were around. But I'm determined to enjoy the First Time/Stuck encore while its around, because it sounds really great, and I know it won't be around forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom