Vertigo begining? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > U2 Setlists
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2006, 06:11 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by tpsglick2424
I liked COBL the best this year for the opener..What are is your fav. song opener that U2 gas done over the years?
They have great openers...I think Zoo station and Streets tied for me.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:27 AM   #22
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

I agree with what you say about Discotheque as a concert vs encore opener, but I disagree with the statement I quoted. Discotheque/Velvet Dress was excellent, but WOWY was about five years too late. I don't think U2 have really performed it decently since 1992, maybe not even since 1990, and Popmart was its lowest ebb. And while HMTMKMKM was a great second encore opener and MW probably not so bad to follow it, we all know about how I hate One.
With or Without You was a bit weak, but I was surprised at its quality on the PopMart Mexico concert. I kind of wish All I Want is You was there instead, full band, since the abbreviated one was so amazing.

Yeah, your love for One has been well-documented

Old 08-13-2006, 10:04 AM   #23
Refugee

Quote:

COBL is from the new album. What's your point? The band has used IWF as the second song on plenty of tours. 11OTT/IWF opened most UF Tour dates, Streets/IWF was regular on JT and Lovetown, Mofo/IWF opened all Popmart shows, and Vertigo/IWF opened most European VERTIGO TOUR dates. So it certainly didn't stop those tours from being about UF, HTDAAB, or whatever other album was relevant.

I don't see why a concert has to open with 2+ songs from the new album. Or what your point really is.
What i got from what discotheque said and i could certainly be wrong I think he said that the opening song should be from the new album. I dont think he said (only that one sentance) that the 2 first songs should be from the new album,but think out it.
achtung baby-zoo tv tour-Zoo Station
Pop-popmart tour-mofo
ATYCLB-elvation tour-elevation
HTDAAB-vertigo tour-Cobl/Vertigo

as you could see the songs that are from the new albums at the time are the show openers..
Old 08-13-2006, 10:19 PM   #24
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

With or Without You was a bit weak, but I was surprised at its quality on the PopMart Mexico concert. I kind of wish All I Want is You was there instead, full band, since the abbreviated one was so amazing.

Yeah, your love for One has been well-documented
The first time I saw Popmart Mexico, the only versions of WOWY I knew were the studio version and the live one on RAH and I couldn't stand the Popmart Mexico performance. I thought it was dreadful, a bland bore. I thought the same for most of the classic songs performed on Popmart, actually. Pride, ISHFWILF, and WOWY were all huge clunkers on that tour. Velvet Dress --> AIWIY would've been much better.

Quote:
Originally posted by tpsglick2424

What i got from what discotheque said and i could certainly be wrong I think he said that the opening song should be from the new album. I dont think he said (only that one sentance) that the 2 first songs should be from the new album,but think out it.
achtung baby-zoo tv tour-Zoo Station
Pop-popmart tour-mofo
ATYCLB-elvation tour-elevation
HTDAAB-vertigo tour-Cobl/Vertigo

as you could see the songs that are from the new albums at the time are the show openers..
I got the impression he meant 2+ songs, as he said COBL/IWF would have been great, but he didn't support it because it's the Vertigo Tour and it needs to start with songs, plural rather than singular, from the new album.

And as far as new songs opening concerts, while you have a point with the recent tours, the following tours had opening songs not from the current album:

Boy Tour: 11 O'clock Tick Tock (though still a current song), Carry Me Home (unreleased song)
October Tour: 11 O'clock Tick Tock a few times
War Tour: Gloria, Out Of Control (not a single War song was used! No War song has ever opened a show, except for SBS on Live Aid and a ZooTV show)
The Unforgettable Fire Tour: Gloria, Out Of Control, 11 O'clock Tick Tock (only twice did a song from UF open a UF Tour show; Wire once and MLK once)
The Joshua Tree Tour: Stand By Me
Lovetown: Where The Streets Have No Name, Bullet The Blue Sky, Stand By Me, In God's Country

Plus, as I mentioned above, one ZooTV show (a public dress rehearsal) opened with Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-13-2006, 10:40 PM   #25
Refugee

I wouldnt cound Live Aid as a U2 concert? I'd just say 3 songs they played
Old 08-14-2006, 11:58 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Vertigo was an amazing opener. Don't dismiss it.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:48 PM   #27
Refugee

I thought it was kind of boring I mean look at the others...

Zoo Tv- Elevator thing goes up with Bono on it and bono is shadowed by the Tv then dances...
Popmart-Band comes out of the end of the stadium and walks threw the crowd.
Elevation-I thought was also pretty weak just coming out of the side of the stage and start playing BUT in the middle of the song all of the lights go off!
Vertigo-Bono appears out of the middle of the crowed on the elipse. Very awesome!

But the most of the outdoor legs was just randomly opened to Vertigo, I don't have anything about to say bad about Vertigo I just thought it was a weak opening song..
Old 08-15-2006, 09:14 AM   #28
Refugee

Local Time: 02:02 PM
Quote:

They did that because they were playing in Europe in the summer, and due to how late the sun set, they had to start the show without the fancy lighting and it only really became visible mid-way through the main set.
Yeah that is certainly the reason they did it..

though to be honest they could have had something on the screen before they got to COBL.

I saw the start of popmart in the daylight at wembley, and there was no problem with seeing what was on the screen at all.

Manchester last year was very light as well, and vertigo got the crowd going, but they could easily have had something on the screen as well.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:15 PM   #29
Refugee

yeah..
Old 08-18-2006, 12:01 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl

They have great openers...I think Zoo station and Streets tied for me.
Also, a very honorable mention to Mofo.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:18 PM   #31
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl

Also, a very honorable mention to Mofo.
MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Love that.

TIE
Streets
Zoo Station
Mofo
Old 08-18-2006, 06:49 PM   #32
War Child

keep city as the first song - better way to shape the start of the concert followed by two big banging songs...vertigo and elevation - by the end of those 3 songs the crowd will be on fire
Old 08-19-2006, 08:03 PM   #33
Refugee

I didn't realize that this thread would be this long..
Old 08-21-2006, 02:27 PM   #34
Refugee

Local Time: 01:02 PM
IMHO the Vertigo opening sucked. COBL has this whole Where the streets style mystical opening vibe going. Same goes for LAPOE in some respects. Vertigo is just not a natural opener. It's to sudden. It's a natural second song to carry on the energy of the opening song. Or a damn good closing song.

It made some sense for most European shows to have opened with Vertigo being to light. But by august it was already dark. By the time they started in Munich early august they could have opened with COBL and the big screen. But that would have required reworking the set and they seemed to lazy to do that.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:05 PM   #35
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Muad'zin
IMHO the Vertigo opening sucked. COBL has this whole Where the streets style mystical opening vibe going. Same goes for LAPOE in some respects. Vertigo is just not a natural opener. It's to sudden. It's a natural second song to carry on the energy of the opening song. Or a damn good closing song.

It made some sense for most European shows to have opened with Vertigo being to light. But by august it was already dark. By the time they started in Munich early august they could have opened with COBL and the big screen. But that would have required reworking the set and they seemed to lazy to do that.

I also didn't like Where The Streets Have No Name because there was NO energy there like there was in Zoo TV, Popmart or my fav Streets Elevation...In the Vertigo Chicago video, all Bono did was stand there when then LED balls came down and The Edge just playing the intro...But in the Elevation version, Bono was in the middle of the arena singing and screaming and running for his life..For song selection I like Vertigo Tour better but for how the songs were played and setup, I like the Elevation Tour much better
Old 08-23-2006, 08:48 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Muad'zin

Totally agreed.
Vertigo doesn't sound like a natural opener, because it starts to sudden, you almost don't percept that the band's starting.
City Of Blinding Lights worked perfect as a concert opener, and despite I've never seen LAPOE opening live I believe it must be great too.

I think that the argument that it was already day when the show started in the European cities they played is not much valid...
Well, ok, it was in the summer... but at that time, the night had already came.
In Lisbon, for instance, the night came a few minutes after the Kaiser Chiefs got out of the stage, When U2 got in the stage it was already pretty dark...
Old 08-25-2006, 12:15 PM   #37
Refugee

^