Unforgettable Fire/Joshua Tree Songs on the Upcoming Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LMP

Blue Crack Supplier
I think they need to play a wider variety of UF/JT songs on the upcoming tour and not just be restricted to playin Streets, WOWY, Pride, Bad and BtBS on a permanent basis. Bring back songs like the Unforgettable Fire, One Tree Hill, Exit, and ISHWILF and plz plz plz drop Bullet, i think itz getting old.

and i think they shuld rotate the main songs w/ the ones mentioned above, what do u ppl think?

Don't know about Bono's voice making it through OTH regularly, and they played ISHWILF at most, if not every, third leg Elevation show. But yes, Exit and UF need to come back. Rotate Bullet with Exit, HMTKMKM, and LAPOE.

oooo, I didn't kno about ISHWILF, I was afraid of his voice and OTH colliding, darnit

One Tree Hill will DEFINITELY be played in New Zealand. U2 themselves have confirmed this. I am willing to bet it will never be played anywhere else in the world, with the possible but unlikely exception of Australia. Mothers Of The Disappeared will DEFINITELY be performed in certain South American markets. There is a faint chance A Sort Of Homecoming will be performed in Ireland - this HAS happened (i.e. 25 August 2001, Slane) but is rare. The band have said themselves that Streets will be played at every single concert in the future. It is essentially The Live Song as far as U2 are concerned.

With Or Without You was removed from the Elevation Tour setlist three shows into the third leg and it will be a welcome removal. It was played at pretty much every single show on the Joshua Tree, Lovetown, ZooTV, Popmart, and the first two legs of Elevation, and all performances since 1997 have been extremely weak. Bono's voice currently sounds the best it has since 1993, so they MAY keep WOWY, but I think it's off to rotation. Bullet The Blue Sky is a stunning live track and not too vocally strenuous, so I think it will be kept.

I think, to make life easier, I will go through all of the album tracks.

A Sort Of Homecoming - UF Tour regular, disappeared about halfway through the JT Tour, reappeared twice on Elevation. Unlikely to return.
Pride - Tired but extremely popular. I am doubtful that the band would choose to drop this song.
Wire - Played solely on the UF Tour. Never coming back.
The Unforgettable Fire - It is my understanding this was rehearsed for the Elevation Tour, and as it was inspired by artwork from the Hiroshima nuclear attack, I believe it has significant potential to again be rehearsed, and hopefully this time return. It will be very welcome back in the setlist as it was last played on the Lovetown Tour.
Promenade - Never played.
4th Of July - Never played.
Bad - This one was rarely played on Popmart until the fourth leg, and was rotated with All I Want Is You on Elevation. It will likely stay in rotation with a number of other songs that work extremely well before Streets.
Indian Summer Sky - Played nine times on the UF Tour. Not coming back.
Elvis Presley And America - Never played.
MLK - Potential to appear in snippet form. If The Unforgettable Fire returns, it is likely that U2 will play the famous MLK --> UF combination that served them well for the majority of the 1980s.

Streets - Every show.
ISHFWILF - Should enter into rotation. ISHFWILF/Pride rotated with Mysterious Ways/The Fly to close some Elevation main sets before taking the spot for itself on the third leg.
WOWY - Bono's vocals are struggling, and as I said, it was cut on Elevation. Likely to continue to appear, though.
Bullet - Hard-hitting political song U2 clearly like. I doubt it is going anywhere.
RTSS - This song would be FANTASTIC. It was even snippeted twice on Elevation. I think it has a chance, especially with OOTS in the setlist. Bullet --> RTSS --> OOTS would be phenomenal.
Red Hill Mining Town - Never played.
In God's Country - Appeared late in the Elevation Tour. Could become an acoustic set regular. Bono apparently finds it hard to perform this in the full electric format.
Trip Through Your Wires - Only played on the JT Tour, never coming back.
One Tree Hill - Every New Zealand show.
Exit - It is rumoured that this is being rehearsed for the upcoming tour. If so, it would be an incredible inclusion and I feel it would work well with LAPOE. This song was a JT Tour regular and appeared once on Lovetown.
Mothers Of The Disappeared - South American shows only.

Also from that era ...

The Sweetest Thing - Extremely unlikely, but you never know. OOTS is on piano too, after all ...
Spanish Eyes - Highly likely in Spain. Was performed at the Barcelona concert on Elevation.

I don't think any other b-sides have a chance.

It wuld have to b played w/ LAPOE tho, I think they compliment each other

Axver said:
The Sweetest Thing - Extremely unlikely, but you never know. OOTS is on piano too, after all ...

I was at Boston #03 just outside the tip when he started moving around. I was totally shocked.....Hope this one makes it in to the regular set-list.

My hope (although) I don't think it will happen, each night change it up by 4-6 different songs. Then it makes it worth going to see them in the same city over a 2-3 night period.

I wanna c those rele big head ppl from the Sweetest Thing video and Zoo TV again, they were cool.:wink:

Aardvark747 said:
I think id die if the I heard the opening guitar of The Unforgettable Fire kicking in....!!:drool:

You and me both, brother.

I'm considering not reading setlists, just to be surprised by what they play. Knowing what's coming wouldn't be as fun.

Back
Top Bottom