u2 need's to drop pride from the set list(bano cant sing it)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaun vox

New Yorker
sad but true, we all thought that well banos got his voice back.
just checked a clip of pride from R&R hall of fame and it sounds like crap. its all slowed down and it sounds like a childs song or something!

put some energy in it or just drop it!
and im scared wowy will sound crap live same goes for sbs, its all slowed down and bano cant sing them!its just too hard for him to hit those note! they are making all the good classic songs sound like the crap they are making now.(atyclb and htdaab all slow rubbish)

It's a shame really. But I think we all know, that they will keep them in the setlist, to please the fans that are coming to hear the likes of 'Pride' and 'WOWY'.

What are you talking about? Bono couldn't sing this song during the R&H era! Listen to the "Rattle & Hum" version - the song is slowed down a lot more compared to the album (maybe not as much as it is now, but that isn't necessarily Bono's fault) and Bono sings it in a different key (much lower).

It's a tough song to sing - period. So they had to redo it to work for them. Plus, songs do evolve over the years. Perhaps they like the slower version now. :|

well was the same version they sang at slane? and to me BONO sounded the same if not better than when they played slane

These set list threads are starting to crack me up. Has anyone thought that perhaps they just like performing these songs?? To me they don't seem like the type of band that would just "go though the motions" to please the bandwagon fans. As many times as we've heard these songs (Pride, WOWY, etc.), perhaps they still like to play them....

Anyway, I'm sure that the majority of fans attending shows won't quite be at the "fanatical" level that most here seem to be at and are probably looking forward to hearing these songs.

Just a thought....

Last edited:
i thought the difference between pride in 1987 and pride now is the fact that bono actually sings it now instead of just shouts the words to it.

It is a slowed down version but I thought it sounded great Mon. night. In fact I thought it sounded a lot more pwerful than during Popmart or Elevation.

david said:
i thought the difference between pride in 1987 and pride now is the fact that bono actually sings it now instead of just shouts the words to it.

:applaud: :up:

Excellent point and one I should have mentioned (but brain is too small to think so early in the morning). Bono actually sings this song now - as opposed to shouting it (ala R&H).

When the great Jimi Hendrix was performing, he stated that he often changed songs in concert. Some fans didn't like this - but he claimed that it's not only his song to change, but, more importantly, songs evolve from when they were first recorded. I agree. "Pride" has existed for 20 years - these changes may not sit well with all fans (even I didn't like the R&H version at first compared to the UF version), but it's U2's right to have their songs evolve over time.

With the majority of U2 songs I prefer their live versions to the studio versions. However, with Pride I never felt the live version did that song justice. I would prefer they did a less-known song that they play well...the few times they played One Tree Hill live, it was spectacular.

I am an absolute MLK/Pride devotee, and I love how Bono re-arranges things that are "anthems." (Especially fond of the slower, almost ska/reggae version of SBS I saw on Elevation tour.) That said, I'd trade *anything*in any theoretical setlist for a real passionate version of "One Tree Hill."
Anu

doctorwho said:
What are you talking about? Bono couldn't sing this song during the R&H era! Listen to the "Rattle & Hum" version - the song is slowed down a lot more compared to the album

good point. I always loved the live versions of "Pride" more than the album, even though it was slower.

I sure hope Pride will stay on the setlist, it's an amazing song, check out the Slane DVD live version!

and it's NEEDS, no apostrophe :wink:

:hmm: Why do I get the feeling that Shun Vax is just trying to wind us up? I know for a fact that I'll be dancing my booty, to each and every song that U2 grace us with for this upcoming tour :hyper:

The reasoning that 'Songs Evolve' doesn't change the fact that bono is losing his voice.

david said:

Yeah right. Well then I prefer the shouting Bono... The way he sings ´desire´ on the Boston DVD gives me thrills when I think about it. Shaun is right --> Songs like Pride and WOWY are just painful to listen to and I really hope they will drop them.

they've played in at a slower tempo since before i can remember. and you couldn't even bother to spell bono's name correctly?

shaun, are there any U2 songs/albums you actually like? all i've ever heard from you is complaining about what you think sucks because it's not rock and roll.

He can sing it, not the way he used to. now the band plays it tuned down a step if not several steps down to help bono with the vocals.

I find it really amusing how a whole bunch of people have seriously replied to this post without even making one comment about the constant complaints against atyclb and htdaab from mr. shaun vox.

Pride is a great crowd song, and as much as I'd like to see it leave the setlists, I can appreciate why the band keep it - it's the very definition of anthemic rock. Some of you need to understand why the band love to play it so much.

The smiles on Bono and Larry's faces on the Slane DVD during the performance of Pride sums up how they feel about playing this song and what the crowd participation means to them.

Check it out if you haven't ever seen it/noticed.

:lol:

I think I'd rather bring a banner that read "SF and U2" and get myhead chewed off, than proudly waving around the message "We Luv u Bano" :barf:

Back
Top Bottom