Toronto 2 Setlist - The boys at their very worst (Crap show)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
soctheo said:
All I can say is the people in my section (section 120) were half asleep.

If i didn't attend Monday's show, maybe I would be more enthusiastic about tonight's performance but Monday was so great.

Bottom line, tonight was a letdown for me. But everyone has their opinion and I respect that. Im hoping for great things to happen for shows 3 and 4 in Toronto.

Okay let me get this straight. You have four shows in your town, you had/have tickets to every one of the four- which on this completely sold out world tour is not usual, nor cheap, and you are COMPLAINING?!

I may be new here but even I can see what's worth being mad about and what isn't! Some of the setlists are not too enticing and I agree that it stinks that Fast Cars was dropped after one show. They are getting a feel for North American audiences again after all this time back in Europe, etc.

I have one show in my town that I have been waiting for for over 4 years. I can't drop everything and go to another city to see them and I probably couldn't afford to see them two nights in a row, let alone four, not to mention they wouldn't ever schedule 4 shows in Minneapolis. I would KILL to see them that many times and I would find SOMETHING to like about every show no matter what.

Be THANKFUL for what you have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

longingforBono said:

Okay let me get this straight. You have four shows in your town, you had/have tickets to every one of the four- which on this completely sold out world tour is not usual, nor cheap, and you are COMPLAINING?!

I may be new here but even I can see what's worth being mad about and what isn't!
Be THANKFUL for what you have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree longingforBono. :eyebrow: I've been around for a few years now and I truly can't believe what some people expect.. I'm not even going to get to see them because of the lost wages and after effects of hurricane Katrina.
I don't expect everyone to love every concert, and frankly I don't give a shit if they do or not.
I would enjoy the setlist from ANY concert, and to trash the band for no reason other than they didn't play a certian song(s) is just profoundly ungrateful and totally juvenile.
And I think that is what U2 is saying - "You know - we didn't ask you to fork over the money, if you don't like it - sell your f'ing tickets, don't buy another thing U2 related and move on" (My thoughts not theirs)
I'm just sick of seeing the same trash U2 talk over and over..

hey buddy

you also have to realise U2 is playing for a differant audience every night...if you go to more than one show expect the same songs and speeches.

you greedy bastard. get over yourself and be thankful the friggin band is still touring so you can go see them and bitch about it. i had an amazing time and i ain't analyzin the shit out of it. just love it for what it is.

I am not trashing the band for no reason. What I'm getting tired of is people attacking others on the board for having a different point of view.
There is nothing wrong with saying "Hey I didn't have a great time and I think they didn't play well".

My negative review is not just based on dropping a few songs from the setlist.
I was the first to say that Mondays show was fantastic and they redeemed themselves big time yesterday (Friday). But they didn't have it on Wednesday and thats my opinion.

If u2 shows up and plays half ass, it doesn't matter if I attend 1 show or the entire tour, the argument that you should just be grateful and keep your mouth shut is an absolute joke.

Yes I am fortunate for attending all four shows and I am thankful but I paid big time for it and went through scalpers for 2 shows. This week cost me a lot of money but I don't care. I am there for the music and I didn't feel it on Wednesday. Bottom line - constructive criticism is never negative and I am not going to say u2 was great on wednesday just because I was fortunate enough to be in the building.

Harry Vest said:
Was Toronto 2's "Bad" that bad????
How could they fuck up a masterpiece?????
Is someone just angry with them or was that nights version of "Bad" bad??????

No, in fact, it was quite amazing. Bono nailed it, and Lanois was a welcome addition - pushing the song to almost 13 minutes in length.

I agree though, that the problem was not with U2 - but with the audience. I was in section 114, directly behind Larry, and excited as fuck. However, that did not seem the case with the people around me. (In fact, the people on my right actually brought ear plugs. EAR PLUGS.)

The worst example came during Yahweh, when the people behind me actually asked me and my friend to SIT DOWN. (We had been standing since the Arcade Fire song.) I live by very few rules, but one rule is this: you do not, under any circumstances, ever, ask someone to sit down at a rock and roll concert. It just isn't done.

I'm ashamed to admit, however, that we complied with his request. We didn't want a confrontation, and felt that meh, it's just Yahweh after all. (Even though my friend and I are huge fans of that song, having played it live ourselves several times.)

We would have contested the request, though, if it hadn't been for the fact that at that point...we were the ONLY ONES still standing in our section. How weak is that? My theory is this: if you can't stay on your feet for two hours, you have no business being at a rock and roll show. Rent the DVD. Stay at home. Or better yet, wait for the Billy Joel tour to make it's way to town. That might be more your speed. (or lack of speed.)

Regardless, we were back on our feet at the opening notes of Bad (a song I had been PRAYING for) and were not disappointed with it in the least. A stirring rendition, that unfortuantely, the crowd was no where near worthy of.

Thank you, so much, U2 for a great show...and to hell with those who don't have the rock and roll spirit.

Lates.

What alot of you have to remember is that with most cities there are a Ton! of promotion tickets given from radio stations, music stations, and in Toronto a lot of businesses have connections with the ACC so a lot of the people who are there are not hard core fans but people who have been given tickets. I was there on Wen. and it was an AMAZING show however the audience was not all that great. It was definetly not U2s fault if the show lacked a little somthin (and I thought it was an amazing show, dispite the audience.) The ultimate would to go to a concert where the entire audience was comprised of strictly U2 fans instead of people who have heard one or two songs.

I totally agree tower. Another thing that always gets me is the one or two song fans that end up with the best seats for the show- unaware of what a treasured thing they really have- and then one of the twit girls gets pulled up on stage on top of that!

UGH. I swear I have been a fan since I was 11 and I still have never had a great seat for a U2 show. The closest I came to a good seat was the JT tour and I was BEHIND the stage but Larry turned around and talked to us a few times during the show. Pair that with Bono running by every once in a while and it was ok to look at their asses for most of the night!

:up: to sadisticpenguin's post. The ENTIRE FUCKING CROWD sat when I saw the Finn Brothers in Brisbane and it nearly ruined the show. Luckily the back row (two away from mine) was empty and I went up there to party and enjoyed the show immensely. A rock and roll show is a two way process - the audience and band both participate. It's not a bloody movie!

Axver said:
:up: to sadisticpenguin's post. The ENTIRE FUCKING CROWD sat when I saw the Finn Brothers in Brisbane and it nearly ruined the show. Luckily the back row (two away from mine) was empty and I went up there to party and enjoyed the show immensely. A rock and roll show is a two way process - the audience and band both participate. It's not a bloody movie!

Thanks, Axver.

It was the opposite when I saw Pearl Jam the night before in Hamilton. At first, the crowd was more pumped than the band was. You could tell the band was exhausted, and not really into it...but the crowd sure as hell was. And as Eddie started feeding off the crowd's energy (and several bottles of wine) he got more loose and more into it, and by the second half of the show everything had peaked - the crowd, the band, everything. It became one of the most memorable concert experiences of my life, and it was a great example of indeed how it IS a two way process.

You could tell at Wednesday's show that Bono was trying his damndest to get the crowd pumped up. But whereas I was at a rock and roll show, everyone around me seemed to think it was an opera, or a broadway show. In other words, stay seated, stay quiet, and clap (politely!) after every song. Ugh.

It was a huge letdown after the tour de force that was the Pearl Jam show.

Axver said:

Hi, that's EXACTLY what I've been thinking since last Monday when I was lucky enough to see the first of the Toronto concerts.

When you see a band like U2 live, it is like you are a part of the band for one night. That is what makes it such a memorable experience!

It iIS possible for U2 to play a bad gig, but I think a lot can depend on the fans around you.

I've been the middle of a section where everyone was sitting through the whole show - it spoilt it for me even though the band was great!

Another time I was in a section where EVERYONE was up singing, shouting, joining in with each other - they made that gig extra special.

just been reading through the posts sum good points

the way i see it is if you go to more than 2 Shows your just
going to get bored maybe a couple of new tracks that will
be cool to hear again...and the fact you paid x amount
its like alot of things too much is not good..
doesnt matter if its u2/rem/bruce springsteen

ive seen them live since joshua tree tour
maybe 15 times or more i cant remember

on this tour i went to the 2 Manchester uk
shows and glasgow but by the time i seen them in
glasgow i knew the full set just about even had a
list when i was taken sum edge notes.. and people
were looking at it to see what song was next..
the gig was ok but the first night in
manchester was the real deal

they cant please everyone in the real world
but i think playing 4 nights at the same venue
is just being a tad greedy!! even though
the demand is high! and if you go to see
them the four nights dont expect to re-live
each night as the set list will roughly stay the same
i mean sunday/somtimes/miracle/bullet/city/
to work with the lights and crew..
getting to hear sumthing new is a bonus
really but at a price

look at the popmart tour the set list
stayed the same for a good portion
of the tour ..zoo tv was the same
but sum things were added

there not young amymore and playing 2hr
sets with stage/lights/heat must be draining
but thats there job i suppose
just be glad you got to see u2 in 2005
cause it could be the last time for a while
and thats if they decide to tour again
which i would prob think would be there
last..

i generally think the band gives 100%
but as we can see several nights takes it toll
on bono..but a u2 gig is a special night
you cant compare it to other bands
its a gathering of the clans one would say :)

go to the show enjoy it and treasure
the moments and complain later lol

thats rock n roll for ya

cheers BB Mac

Back
Top Bottom