The status of songs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Often we talk about songs that are active in the set, cut from the set, or retired from the live setting, but what do we mean by that?

I think it would be interesting if we were to clarify what constitutes an active song. I'll offer an attempt at a definition, and I'm interested to see what others contribute. I already know my criteria will result in a couple of funny results, but oh well.

100% active
During/just after a tour: Songs that have been played at the last ten shows.
Before a new tour: Songs that have been played at promo and other appearances since the last tour.

Songs that are currently 100% active:
- All Because Of You
- Beautiful Day
- City Of Blinding Lights
- Desire
- I Will Follow
- MLK
- Original Of The Species
- Out Of Control
- One
- Pride (In The Name Of Love)
- Rain
- She's A Mystery To Me
- Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
- Sunday Bloody Sunday
- The Hands That Built America
- Vertigo
- Walk On
- Where The Streets Have No Name

Technically active
During a tour: Songs that have been played on the current leg of the tour but are not setlist regulars ['regular' is defined as being played at the majority of shows in a selected sample; I propose the latest ten, as by then, any performance pattern is evident].
Before a new tour: Songs played at the last ten shows of the previous tour.

These songs may or may not prove to be genuinely active but can nonetheless be classified as active.

Songs that are currently technically active:
- All I Want Is You
- Angel Of Harlem
- Bad
- Bullet The Blue Sky
- Elevation
- In God's Country
- I Shall Be Released
- I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
- Kite
- Knockin' On Heaven's Door
- Mysterious Ways
- My Sweet Lord
- New Year's Day
- New York
- People Get Ready
- Please
- Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
- Until The End Of The World
- What's Going On?
- Wild Honey

Cut
A song that is removed from performances during a tour leg, between tour legs, or between tours. Every song not listed above that has been performed live can be considered cut.

Examples:
Cut during a tour leg: Do You Feel Loved, after the first six Popmart shows.
Cut between tour legs: Ultra Violet, before the final leg of ZooTV.
Cut between tours: Zoo Station, which was played at all ZooTV shows but has not been played since,

Retired
A song that U2 have cut and do not play any more.

Retired songs: Every U2 song not listed above in the 100% and technically active categories. This does not mean that a given song will never be played again. 11 O'clock Tick Tock was considered cut for ten years before it was played on 5 December 2000.

Agree/disagree with the definitions? Any songs I have failed to list in my categories? Thoughts?

Last edited:
Zooropean103 said:
Nice piece of work Axver!
I would add The Fly, Stay, Stairing at the Sun, Gone, Wake Up Dead Man to Technically active category.

Thanks!

I'm curious as to why you would consider some of those songs for inclusion in the 'technically active' category. By my definition, The Fly and Gone were cut at the end of the second leg of Elevation and the other three, while featured earlier in the third leg, were cut by the time I took my sample. How come you feel they merit inclusion?

I do believe that the definition I posted is definitely not perfect. I hesitated to include covers, especially since I Shall Be Released was played just once in 2001 after not being played since 1986 and is certainly NOT active in a genuine sense, but U2 have actively played covers (see All Along The Watchtower, a critical element of the Lovetown set) so I counted them. And I don't think Wild Honey should have made it either, but it fell within the sample!

Hmm, I guess you are right! I thought that songs were played more. However I would change a definition of "technically active". Technically active would be songs that were played at least 10 (or 15 or 20- decide) times on previous tour. You know, that songs were still played a lot, so I think there should be place for them. What do you think about it?

Hmmm. It's definitely not an exact science. You make a very legitimate point and I agree there are plenty of songs that SHOULD be in the Technically Active category. I would propose perhaps using the final leg of the last tour as a judge, as by then, U2 have their setlist finalised. The whole tour is too vast, as then you could have counted Miami as technically active after Popmart when it was absolutely retired at the end of the second leg. So yes, I think using the final leg to judge is a good idea. That, however, still is not perfect, as evidenced by ZooTV's change for the final ten shows. So if there is a dramatic change before a short final leg, I'd propose using the last two legs.

In choosing what songs to select, I would use any played at a third or more of concerts. Thus, in a tour leg of 30 songs, a song would have to make 10 appearances.

What do you think of that idea?

There is no doubt that you have more knowledge about songs that have been played live, so I will not argue in this space.

Axver said:
In choosing what songs to select, I would use any played at a third or more of concerts. Thus, in a tour leg of 30 songs, a song would have to make 10 appearances.

I agree with it :up: Mayby the best definition so far!

Zooropean103 said:
There is no doubt that you have more knowledge about songs that have been played live, so I will not argue in this space.

Go ahead and speak up if you see any flaws or have any suggestions! I may love my setlists but my knowledge definitely isn't perfect (as proven by the fact I once tried to claim Pride and Desire had opened concerts - that's actually what prompted me to make the information resource to which I've linked in my signature).

I agree with it :up: Mayby the best definition so far!

Thanks! And also thanks to the tourist for the compliment. :)

Back
Top Bottom