The official let's retire Elevation thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultraviolet353

War Child
There will always be songs that are left out, or overplayed...but, this song might be the worst song off the last album, and while it was a great opener for the last tour, I think we need to retire it, and play something else--the setlist for SD 2 was even better than SD 1, but this is a blatant mis-step--please, bury this song, and play something else like, hmmmmmmmmmm, let me see, BAD.

As much as they crapped out on Elevation on SD1 and openly admit to it, I want to hear what it sounds like when they nail it before passing judgement.

This is hardly a problem though. I am really glad that Stuck never made these opening nights. Now that could of been a problem.

If they want to keep the rock sentiment after the Human Rights declaration, throw this abomination and put Exit, Dirty Day, Last Night on Earth or Until the End of the World in there.

2 elevation duds in a row? Maybe it is time to drop it and replace it with something relative secure in rocking a house, something that really gets people shaking, something powerful...

something called.... Until the End of the World! :wink:

Well, I'm just playing the 2005-03-28 bootleg right now, rocking along to Elevation, and I know I'll enjoy it at a concert, definitely. Fun song!

Won't object if they replace it either. Really, I am happy either way. Wow, how rare, a U2 fan who is easily pleased!

typhoon said:
Hold it, thrill it, kiss it, kill it.

i love this guy's posts man....always to the point but full of knowledge. Second that.

I don't hate it like others, but there are SO many u2 songs that can be played instead of it. After hearing the RaRHoF performance of UTEOTW and Edge's angry playing, they seriously need to stop trying to perfect elevation and subsitute that in.

RademR said:
After hearing the RaRHoF performance of UTEOTW and Edge's angry playing, they seriously need to stop trying to perfect elevation and subsitute that in.

Agreed. I simply do not understand why they haven't played it considering how AWESOME it was at the RARHOF.

Roland of Gilead said:
2 elevation duds in a row? Maybe it is time to drop it and replace it with something relative secure in rocking a house, something that really gets people shaking, something powerful...

something called.... Until the End of the World! :wink:

that would be it

Aardvark747 said:
Prefer UTEOTW, but what will be will be.

What will be will be, eh? Well ... at Cardiff, U2 are going to open with Elevation, then Bono will announce that he thinks Heartland sucks and he wishes they'd never made it. So then you and I (because I am magically teleported to the scene of the crime when people insult Heartland) will give him an arse-kicking and once he's sufficiently repentent, U2 will perform Heartland in full for the first time.

How does THAT sound?

</random>

i think elevation should be left out by now...
i mean that song was great for a gig opener, but now with vertigo instead, i think you cannot put elevation somewhere towards the end of a show and expect people would start jumping again! I think if they really want to go "old school" as read in newspapers, they should be playing songs like EXIT, 11 O'CLOCK TICK TOCK, BAD,OUT OF CONTROL, GLORIA,ISHFWILF and stuff like that.

wait a minute, this thread is 2 pages and no one has stepped in and said "Stop whining", "be lucky they're playing", "bono could fart into the mic and I would love it"?
am I on interference?

Maybe one of these days the band will use a Magic 8-ball or draw slips out of a hat to determine their setlist.

Elevation is a good song, and I'm sorry to hear it doesn't rock as it did on last tour (don't oppose me here... the Elevation performance of Elevation is outta this world), but I happen to be in a state of mourning about UTEOTW not being included, so switching those two would definitely be for the better.

Songs that could easily replace Elevation:

UTEOTW
EBTTRT
Gone
Crumbs
Out of Control

Let's face it: Elevation was never a great song, it is overplayed, and, at least from what I heard from the first night bootleg, it sounds painfully bad. How lame would the last tour have been if U2 was playing bad, unrehearsed sounding versions of Mofo every night? That is roughly the equivalent of what would happen if they make Elevation a regular in the setlist on this tour. If they really want to play ATYCLB songs other than Beautiful Day, why not pick any of the other nine songs on that album that are better than Elevation?

Bullet the Blue Sky should be replaced first.

I just cannot see the crowd getting into it anymore... I know that it means a lot for Bono's political goals, but it seems to me that fans are not that much into it anymore.

And with so many other good songs to replace it...

see.

look at all these anti-elevation threads! the song ROTS. how can the band play all those other GREAT songs and submit themselves to such awful shit????

and i agree with until the end of the world being played instead. it shits, pisses, and pukes all over the human refuse that is elevation.

Elevation must be the first to go.

I think Bullet is the next, don't get me wrong, but at least Bullet was once great and fresh whereas Elevation never was.

part of me really likes anitram for her personality.

the other part of me really likes her for her anger towards bad songs.

Back
Top Bottom