The nature of U2's setlists.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Some people bitch about hearing too many of the greatest hits at a concert. I have been one of them. "Pride", "One" and "With or without you" all seem tired to me. I'd love to hear "Ultraviolet", "Acrobat", "Mofo", "Surrender" or any other rarity live. I'd love U2 to do an entire set of rarities without ANY hits. However, I was recently able to see it from the other side of the fence.

A few weeks ago, I saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers in Columbus. I would call myself a casual fan. I have Stadium Arcadium and By the way, and I'm aware of the popular singles they've had on previous albums. However, there were a lot of their popular songs that they didn't play. "Otherside", "Around the world", "Zephyr Song", "Universally Speaking" and "UNDER THE BRIDGE" were all not played. They played a lot of deep cuts from the albums that I had no idea what they were, and a couple of covers. The show was still good (highlights included "Charlie", "Parallel Universe" and "By the way"), but I just thought "Man, if people were paying me $60 I'd play them the songs they want to hear".

Then it hit me... there's a reason U2 play their big hits. It's to please casual fans like that. I'm sure that when the Chili Peppers played some of those album cuts, the diehards thought it was great. But I was bored and confused, just like how some of the casuals must have felt during "An Cat Dubh" last year. I think U2 does a great job of playing sets that please diehards, newbies and the casuals at the same time. So don't bitch when you hear "Pride"... just remember, it might be making somebody else's night.

Excellent post. You make a very good point. Given that you could make up over two complete setlists from singles before you add in some non single concert favourites (Bad, BTBS, UTEOTW, 40, etc) we really are quite lucky that they generally do give the newer songs the number of slots in the setlist that they do. Ok, maybe not all the singles have been greatest hits but there are a heap of them that have been.

Amen to that. And I will say something The Edge has said many times. U2 doesn't have a lot of hits that are widely played on the radio. They do have the key hits, "Still haven't Found", "One", "Vertigo", "Beautiful Day", "With or Without You", "Mysterious Ways"... But a lot of their hits seem to shimmer off and put up later on. U2 fill their setlists with hits that they feel will please EVERYONE... but the big hudge hits seem to tire out the diehards, but I am sure it doesn't seem that way to casual fans. A lot to take in, I know, but very much true.

SMB

I think any setlist rocks! I thought i'd be a bit bored during one, or WOWY and i spent the whoe time singing my lungs out and grinning like a loon....

it rocks

the people that bitch that every night is similar....don't go to every concert! U2 don't perform just for you!
hahah

I always remind myself when there's an approaching U2 show with what appears to be a fairly undifferentiated setlist, I'm fine with the same songs I've heard live 15 times as long as they play great and the crowd is into it.
There's nothing worse than a prefunctory performance of a song by U2 (LAPOE 3rd Leg, ugh.) or a lackluster crowd.
But, there's nothing better than a crowd hopped up on PITNOL and Bono catching a contact high.

Mark

Well, there is a reason they call greatest hits greatest hits. Those are the songs that people have grown to love over the years and would like to hear when they go see the band live. Personally I can live with a greatest hits setlist. It's the boring predictability of them playing the same songs in the same order night after night which is boring. I want them to mix things u, so that when I go to different concerts I can expect a little mystery as to what the lads will be playing. They have more then ample greatest hits. Surely they don't have to play Beautiful day (for example) every night and play a different greatest hit in its place. The way I see it there is ample room between the intro songs and the LAPOE/SBS/BTBS sequence to mix things up. As with the encores.

If only for themselves. Surely it must get boring playing the same songs and doing the same routines and poses on the same scripted postitions night after night after night.

Yes, it's the fact that it's the same hits that pisses people off. U2 could at least play hits but at least mix up some of those hits.

Yeah, the greatest hits take too many spots from the setlists. Imo the no1 priority should be to perform the whole or most of the new album and recent singles (Electrical storm). Then there should be some random songs that fit with the theme, or makes sense, and finally some hits. Also, as others said, mix the damn hits up. From most albums there are like 3-4 classics, why not switch between them? They already do that but not enough I say!

Great post! Then there are people like me; another die hard that through life circumstances has not had the opportunity to see them live yet even though I have been in love with them for over 2 decades! So, for those of us who are seeing them live for the first time a greatest hits compliation and all the anthems are a must!! I have waited for 20 yrs to hear them live, so please keep that in mind too! It would not be a U2 show without Streets, the holy grail :wink: I cannot wait to be blessed with their presence in Hawaii!

Great post.

But they have enough greatest hits to shake up the greatest hits. And pick one or two NEW raries each time.

Nisse said:
Yeah, the greatest hits take too many spots from the setlists. Imo the no1 priority should be to perform the whole or most of the new album and recent singles (Electrical storm). Then there should be some random songs that fit with the theme, or makes sense, and finally some hits. Also, as others said, mix the damn hits up. From most albums there are like 3-4 classics, why not switch between them? They already do that but not enough I say!

AMEN

theres a fine line between playing hits to appease the casual fan and going way overboard with it. u2 has so many hits they could rotate them in to keep them fresh as well as appease the casual fans.

whats nearly criminal is u2 has a huge back catalogue of amazing songs they will never see the light of day live, yet we'll keep hearing the same hits over and over again

and if they keep bullet in the setlist for the next tour im gonna puke

Jeannieco said:
It would not be a U2 show without Streets, the holy grail

I used to think this also as its my favorite U2 song and the crowd just goes nuts live. After this tour though I think they could give it a break every once in awhile. It suffered on this tour I think do to its placement more than anything. Interestingly enough the band originally were not planning to play it in early rehearsals as they thought it needed a break. But Bono made the Africa connection with it and it was added obviously.

Imagine this, closing a show with Streets. :hmm: Would be different and a great vibe to end a show IMO.

coolian2 said:

I've said it several times on this site now.

A full red screen organ intro Streets would be the best U2 closer ever bar none.

Ya, talk about going out on a high! That would be amazing.
It will be amazing for me just to be there though. This sounds really corny but I am bursting with gratitude just to be able to go to Hawaii and hear them. They could play jingle bells and Christmas carols and I wouldn't care. It's been a rough year for me so this is going to be incredible no matter what songs they play or in what order. I try not to get caught up in the details, the joy may pass by unoticed.
I cannot wait!!! :drool: :drool:

Jeannieco said:

It will be amazing for me just to be there though. This sounds really corny but I am bursting with gratitude just to be able to go to Hawaii and hear them. They could play jingle bells and Christmas carols and I wouldn't care. It's been a rough year for me so this is going to be incredible no matter what songs they play or in what order. I try not to get caught up in the details, the joy may pass by unoticed.
I cannot wait!!! :drool: :drool:

Yeah, just being at the Auckland shows is going to be great. They could play Baa Baa Black Sheep and Bono could fart into the microphone and i'd be happy.

Blue Room said:

Imagine this, closing a show with Streets. :hmm: Would be different and a great vibe to end a show IMO.

Certainly would be different and no doubt would leave everyone pretty high.

Something that I've thought for a long time is that U2 despite being one of the best live bands ever really are not great at choosing closing songs. 40 occupied that special position from War - Lovetown and most people in that era got to know it but I suspect that these days the majority of the crowd would not. Since then the only song used on a regular basis that left the crowd on a high was Walk On in the Elevation Tour although One did get a bit of an outing during Popmart.

As much as I love Kite as a song and I'm really glad they played in here in Australia looking around the crowd I would have said less than half the people knew the words or were really getting into it.

I wonder why they more often than not close with songs that aren't crowd favourites nor "up" songs?

All of this discussion about the the setlist variety (or, lack there of) makes me think back to during the Joshua Tree and Zoo TV Tours. My mates and I saw the Band on multiple nights in the same or very next city and pretty much watched the same concert again and again. Their setlists pretty much stayed static and we went just as nuts at the last show as we did the first show we saw. Of course that was way back before the Internet and the capability to see and also piss and moan on Message Boards.:reject:

Maquaman said:

Certainly would be different and no doubt would leave everyone pretty high.

Something that I've thought for a long time is that U2 despite being one of the best live bands ever really are not great at choosing closing songs. 40 occupied that special position from War - Lovetown and most people in that era got to know it but I suspect that these days the majority of the crowd would not. Since then the only song used on a regular basis that left the crowd on a high was Walk On in the Elevation Tour although One did get a bit of an outing during Popmart.

As much as I love Kite as a song and I'm really glad they played in here in Australia looking around the crowd I would have said less than half the people knew the words or were really getting into it.

I wonder why they more often than not close with songs that aren't crowd favourites nor "up" songs?

Personally I really love 40 as a closer because it book ends SBS and it feels like a package being tied up with a bow! Especially when everyone in the auidience is singing without the band, it's like they are honoring us for coming to the show. The Chicago concert makes me cry every time. It's spiritual and a nice farewell IMO.

dietcokeofevil said:
No more AN CATH DUBH:banghead:
Till the end I hoped they would play it at the my show, but no, it was killed in favour of sleepers like AIWIY and ISHFWILF... :sad:

Yeah, but it could also work very well as an opener again, with the full intro, sure to get the crowd started immedietly instead of in the middle of the set

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom