So shoot me - I'm not a "40" fan...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2mixer

War Child
It's overly long.
It's monotonous.
It's had its day.

Yeh, like everyone else, I love to sing the "How looooong" bit, but that's the only good thing about the song - the crowd singing it at the interval or after the gig always sounds great and better than the band's version and that's why it must stop now!

Think of the songs that you could replace it with...
Love Is Blindness
Vertigo 2
Bad
etc..

How long must we hear THIS song?

(ducks head waiting to be flamed)

i agree

it would have been cool if they would have played it for a rare few shows

but closing most nights? been there, done that. for a band so concerned with the future, they sure like to use bits from their past a lot.

Bono should play the acoustic guitar and Adam should practice more with the electric and it would be great.

vertigo x2 is 200x better

bad is the best closer this tour though

with or without you was also a good closer :up:

40's not bad, but if they move with or without you to close they free up an encore spot. bad is the best though, and vertigo x2 is also really good closing.

instant karma was ok, abrupt, but still cool. its not that i dont like 40, i just like all these other closers better.

I like 40, but 40 as a snippet after "BAD" would be perfect.

Love is Blindness is awesome, but its not going to happen.

I like 40. It was a great closer in its day. Its OK on this tour. Bad is a much better closer though.

Ok, shoot me, but I never cared for Love Is Blindness myself. I saw it close (or almost close) 8 shows on Zoo and honestly towards the end it left me like 40 is for this tour. :shrug: ducks :laugh:

Love is Blindness was good for ZOO TV tour, but it wouldn't fit (for me) in Vertigo. It would be a surprise.
Walk on, whole, wouldn't be a surprise and it would have certain meaning of ending.
Beautiful day, with "it was a beautiful day" in every line, would also be meaningful

Beautiful Day will open the LAST CONCERT EVER.... it should.. and the main set will be closed by VERTIGO :rockon: :sad:

I think that songs have lifetimes:yes:

IMO the best versions of "40" were played during War Tour and UF Tour :drool: Ever since, every versions that I´ve listen to have been so so :down:

I don't agree that it should be taken out. I believe it is a wonderful song and an appropriate one to close their concert. It is a beautiful testimony of their belief. :wink:

U2mixer said:
It's overly long.
It's monotonous.
It's had its day.

Yeh, like everyone else, I love to sing the "How looooong" bit, but that's the only good thing about the song - the crowd singing it at the interval or after the gig always sounds great and better than the band's version and that's why it must stop now!

Think of the songs that you could replace it with...
Love Is Blindness
Vertigo 2
Bad
etc..

How long must we hear THIS song?

(ducks head waiting to be flamed)

Well when I saw them in Vancouver with friends(7 of them) who aren't U2 fans they all agreed that it was the classiest end to a show they had ever seen by any band. That says enough for me right there that non U2 fans thought it was fantastic. It's a perfect song to end with but having said that U2 hav a bunch of songs that would be perfect to end with. I think it'd be really cool to hear some massively redone/extended w/new lyrics outro to Where the Streets Have No Name and have the band end with that. That would rule.

Last edited:
Vertigo was the first U2 tour I saw and I was really glad to hear it.

Bad has been better this tour b/c of its rarity (except for the version from atlanta 2, really lame ending with the "people have the power" bit.) i still prefer 40 to all others, just love that song. I think the Yahweh-40 ending is my favorite they have ever done- but probably more for personal reasons.
love is blindness was great for zootv , but really would not fit the mood of this tour.
i still wouldn't mind seeing streets as a closer.

I've been at concerts with both 40 and Vertigo as closers.

40 was great, but Vertigo X2 brought the house down.

15 years of absense and jaded audiences already packing it in after the last note just don't make 40 as effective as it was in the 80's. It's an 80's song and it should have stayed there. Bad and Vertigo 2 are by far better closing songs these days. Vertigo 2 just brings the house down, and I can only drool at the magnificence of Bad. :drool:

I'm not in favor of closing tours with previous closing songs. They belong in the past, although just once or twice on special occasion should be encouraged. I still think a full electrical version of Yahweh would work. The first time I heard it, I immediately thought closing song.

We'll my first u2 show was the miami 1 of this tour and I must say, even though I was hoping for bad on the first night (which they have been doing recently) I got 40 instead. I felt that it was a more dramatic end to a show and summed up the actual message of the set. The how-long chant fits in with most of the songs on the tour saying how long do we have to live in anger, war, and so on. Oh, and there is nothing more classier than having each band member leave one by one. That was fantastic along with Bono leaving his rosary beads on the mic stand. I personally feel that it would be a good closer after Bad (as a snippet) because I just love bad however it can still work as a stand alone closer.

but before this tour stated werent some members on this board pretty much begging for 40 to be brought back as the closer?

KUEFC09U2 said:
but before this tour stated werent some members on this board pretty much begging for 40 to be brought back as the closer?

For sure! Its a what have you done for me lately deal with alot of U2 fans and the setlist. If you listed all the songs they would do on this tour prior to the tour people would have lost their minds. People move on and have short attention spans.

I thought it was great they brought back 40 and I'm glad I got to see them do it several times on this tour. However, Bad works better as a closer for this tour. I dare say Vertigo 2 works better as a closer also. (ducks) :laugh: 40 is still a good closer, its just not the best closer for this tour. :shrug:

Last edited:
*bang*

40's brilliance is its simplicity, its genius is its power to take 20-70000 people to a very very special place at the end of a show...

It seems like U2 made a great effort to leave "40" in the past after the JT/RNH/Lovetown tour. Bringing it back as a closer these days almost seems like they're trying to pay homage to the past. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom