Set for 2005-04-05, Los Angeles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Well, today's set was rather unexciting - a repeat of the last concert's set. Here's hoping for more variety tomorrow. One thing I will say for this set, though, is that it's a good, solid set that flows well.

Main set:
Love And Peace Or Else
Vertigo / Stories For Boys (snippet)
Elevation
Cry
The Electric Co. / Send In The Clowns (snippet)
An Cat Dubh
Into The Heart
City Of Blinding Lights
Beautiful Day / Blackbird (snippet)
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
New Year's Day
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky / The Hands That Built America (snippet) / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet)
Running To Stand Still
Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways

encore(s):
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
One
All Because Of You
Yahweh

http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/show1274.html

"Send In The Clowns"... I remember posting this on a "make the worst possible setlist thread" as a joke before the tour came out. DAMMIT. :mad:

Not a bad setlist other than that though.

Bono's been snippeting Send In The Clowns during The Electric Co. forever ...

Just wanted to say that this exactly what I said would happen in the other setlist thread.

U2 knew that a lot of celebs and industry people were in the audience tonight, and wanted to deliver a well-oiled show, not a surprising one for the fans.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that they loosen up a bit tomorrow, or in San Jose (where Kite & Stay debuted last tour).

I'm really hoping the band isn't going into Automatic mode already. And I also hope LPOE gets moved back to the middle of the set where it will be more effective.

Time will tell...

laz

Still waiting for Bad (especially) and All I Want Is You to make an appearance as these are highlights of U2 live for me - strong passionate songs that raise the band and audience up onto another plain.

One Step Closer to Knowing would also be great to hear towards the end of the show.

I was there tonight--I think that the setlist is very clunky (it looks much better on paper than in concert)--it doesn't flow at all--An Cat Dubh/ITH really needs to be taken out. It takes the air right out of the arena--there was a parade of people going for beer/bathroom breaks during these songs, and you could tell that thge arena was dead--as a die-hard, I loved hearing it, but it just doesn't work IMO.

ultraviolet353 said:
I was there tonight--I think that the setlist is very clunky (it looks much better on paper than in concert)--it doesn't flow at all--An Cat Dubh/ITH really needs to be taken out. It takes the air right out of the arena--there was a parade of people going for beer/bathroom breaks during these songs, and you could tell that thge arena was dead--as a die-hard, I loved hearing it, but it just doesn't work IMO.

As was I. For a diehard fan it works well, but a casual fan it just doesnt. It's too long, especially with Electric Co leading in. And while it may be just because of the LA crowd but there's no where near enough diehards in the crowd to keep up the atmosphere. Nice Idea, but too long for your casual fan, I'm thinking something like Gone or Ultraviolet would fit in better behind the Electric Co and then into Gloria which would keep the pace going and keep the diehards happy.

I agree with ultraviolet353 and popshopper. The concert gets going and the crowd is really into it, then suddenly the early songs make their appearance, and unless you have been around from the beginning, most people probably don't know the songs, although they were great! Might not flow to well for a newcomer or casual fan, but it works for me! Maybe throw in an Electrical Storm. Surprise me with 'Desire', yeah that's it. Or 'Two Hearts Beat As One'. I don't know what fits there, I'm happy with whatever comes my way. One more show for me tomorrow!

I think the band first wants to get comfortable with a good running setlist and being well-adjusted to each other before they start mixing up the setlist. I expect an almost static setlist for a few more shows (until, say, mid-April) before any really big surprises appear.

C ya!

Marty

Popmartijn said:
I think the band first wants to get comfortable with a good running setlist and being well-adjusted to each other before they start mixing up the setlist. I expect an almost static setlist for a few more shows (until, say, mid-April) before any really big surprises appear.

C ya!

Marty

I agree. It's been more than three years since the Elevation Tour and I believe the band want to vary their sets but they first need to get back into the groove. By the time the Seattle and Vancouver shows roll around, we'll probably have a much better idea of what variation is in store for us.

lazarus said:
Just wanted to say that this exactly what I said would happen in the other setlist thread.

U2 knew that a lot of celebs and industry people were in the audience tonight, and wanted to deliver a well-oiled show, not a surprising one for the fans.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that they loosen up a bit tomorrow, or in San Jose (where Kite & Stay debuted last tour).

I'm really hoping the band isn't going into Automatic mode already. And I also hope LPOE gets moved back to the middle of the set where it will be more effective.

Time will tell...

laz

Excellent observations, Lazarus. How sad will it be if they decide that only one setlist for this leg is needed? How sad if Gloria was a one-time deal! How sad if Kite and Bad never make it into the list.
I thought that City was a great idea for an opener and would like to see Love moved back to join its place in the war / anti-war trilogy with Sunday and Bullet.
'blessings not just for the ones who kneel'
Anu

Aardvark, what if the surprise is 22 consecutive renditions of Elevation?

Axver said:
Aardvark, what if the surprise is 22 consecutive renditions of Elevation?

:shocked:

I shall crowd surf my way from the seats down to the front - climb on stage, give Bono a kiss on his sweaty cheek and whisper softly to him........"this song's bollocks, u do know that don't you?"

:wink:

yeah baby, light my fly, when the angel comes to harlem, Idon't believe I can live with you, but it would be an unforgettable sort of blablabla. Now that''ll be cool:wink:

everyone recomemnding we lose ahn cat dub.ith is crazy!!! I am just praying that I get that by the time the show hits NJ in May!

paulrg said:
Still waiting for Bad (especially) and All I Want Is You to make an appearance as these are highlights of U2 live for me - strong passionate songs that raise the band and audience up onto another plain.

One Step Closer to Knowing would also be great to hear towards the end of the show.

I'm with you man... especially can't wait for Bad. I've been to 5 or so shows (3 from elevation) and have yet to hear Bad (my favorite song). It's always been AIWIY as a replacement.. which certainly isnt a bad thing. i will say we are in for a treat if they play it.:drool:

I just hope they keep mixing it up.

I was getting my hopes up that every show would be different, covering various material.

Anyone else remember the quote from Larry during VH1 Legends? That he was getting tired and couldn't stand playing the same ol songs.. and he saw Springsteen play and having alot of fun b/c his setlist was always something different from show to show. and thats what he wanted to do

BonoFan78 said:

Anyone else remember the quote from Larry during VH1 Legends? That he was getting tired and couldn't stand playing the same ol songs.. and he saw Springsteen play and having alot of fun b/c his setlist was always something different from show to show. and thats what he wanted to do

yes, that's true; he said that to Bono after the lovetown tour.

then they went on to tour for 2 full years with the exact same setlist every night.

JOFO said:

yes, that's true; he said that to Bono after the lovetown tour.

then they went on to tour for 2 full years with the exact same setlist every night.

This should basically give you an idea about who makes the decisions on the setlist.. :)

Personally I think they should move An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart to the middle, Between Sometimes You Can't Make it and the anti-war mini set. To act as a break between the first and second halves of the main set.

I'm not expecting any major changes (and order of songs isn't really a setlist change in my eyes) until Chicago.

Macfistowannabe said:
Ridiculous song. I hate it when I'm right.

right about what? the fact that you are allowed to state your opinion? because nobody was arguing with you.

I totally agree that An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart should be later in the set. But looking back throught the years this is the place U2 have ALWAYS put these. They as the band that plays the songs must like that buildup...buildup...release...release...buildup...buildup...release...groove they put into the show.

From a conventional setlist point of view their sets have been more commonly constructed between the Joshua Tree and Elevation, where the show starts on a buildup and stays up for like 4 or 5 songs, before dipping for a song, and then coming back up for 2 or 3, then the loose song, the acoustic set, the crowd favorite, the greatest hits, the encores with a surprise or 2, and closing.

Odd though, Cry/The Electric Co. seemed to always be in the middle though. Look at Red Rocks, although many songs are cut. If I remember correctly (I haven't looked in a couple years) the set was

Out of Control/Twilight/An Cat Dubh-Into the Heart/Surrender/Two Hearts Beat as One/Seconds/Sunday, Bloody Sunday/Cry-The Electric Co./I Fall Down/October-New Year's Day/I Threw a Brick Through a Window-A Day Without Me/
Gloria/11 o Clock Tick Tock/I Will Follow/40

(on a sidenote, this extra footage was filmed but not on the video, but on local TV,when is the DVD rerelease coming with the extras?!!!!!!!!....in our dreams only)

good setlist to me.....and the majority that went to the show also think this, you only need to look at the reviews on u2tours.com to see that, and also the review on this site

Back
Top Bottom