Pray For Bad Closer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NothinthaturNot

Babyface
I know there are some of you on this board that understand. I have never heard Bad live. It is a gift to the band, yet they only sporadically play it. A trend seems to be developing where it is played on the second night in the same city.

Having seen U2 live for the first time on OCt 28, I was blown away. But still that knawing dissapointment was realized when they again disrespected Bad by not playing it.

The frustration grew until I had to do something. I scraped up $$ I could get, used airline miles, and am now scheduled to see U2 again in ATL on Sat the 19th with my brother. Second show in same citry - they have to give me BAD, right?

I am asking for your positive thoughts, prayers, and use of your contacts and posters to spread the message. WE MUST HAVE BAD NOV 19 - PEOPLE HAVE THE POWER !!

For those of you that got BAD this tour - how was it? how does it compare to other versions? Do you get the "lifeless lifeline" verse?

Does anyone relate?

I can TOTALLY relate!!!
"Bad" has and always will be my all time favorite live U2 song. I would suggest you draw up a sign and try and get close to the band. Beg for "Bad". People have "begged" for stupider things and have gotten them from the band. If you have the time go to the soundcheck and try to make your request directly to one of the band. I seriously hope you get a great "Bad". I heard one version of this gem from this tour and it was FANTASTIC!!! As good as any decade. Here's hoping your wish comes true. Let us know what happens.

NothinthaturNot said:
Do you get the "lifeless lifeline" verse?

Seeing as in all the bootlegs I've heard, it's been included once since Lovetown, I don't think the odds are good. That's not to say it's only been played once since then but either I'm incredibly unlucky or it's pretty rare.

Was it just coincidence they dropped that bit when Bono started using a wireless mic (thus he couldn't do the "lifeline" gesture with the cord), or was that deliberate? Does anyone know?

I would also appreciate any insight as to why the band has tired of playing it. (And dont give me the standard "we have to do new material... We're not a human jukebox, etc."

I think I remember it was a song Edge wanted to veto for the Elevation tour but was overruled.

MY response - To quote Adam on R & H video.. I think that's basically bullshit.

They have no problem playing Bullet ad nauseum - and it can't hold Bad's jockstrap...

PLAY IT

Well, on one of the Boston Vertigo shows that I have Bono talks about playing rarities but then says they are rarities because they make him bored. I think Bad might be a song that bores Edge nowadays but the rest of the band still enjoy it, that's why it's not played as much.

Bullet is a given due to the political center of the show. I think they'd get stoned if they didn't play Streets.

I can understand the desire to be there when they play Bad. I was fortunate that they played it in Tampa during the second to last show of the Elevation tour. That was awesome as we got about half of Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses after Bad before Streets kicked in. I'm hoping for Zoo Station and The Fly in Miami or Tampa this week. I haven't seen either live. I'm also hoping for Electric Co. While I saw Mysterious Ways and With or Without You during POPMart, I'd still love to see them at one of the shows I'm going to.

Good luck with Bad. I hope they play it for you to close the show. I'd like to see it close one of the shows I'm going to.

I love Bad--it's the highlight of the show for me when they play it, and I usually get all teary. In fact, I was just imagining the Portland show, and decided that if they play Bad I'll probably have to be mopped up off the floor :wink: Such a poignant song.

Anyway, I'll be in Atlanta and will send some Bad vibes out for you :up:

i've been to two, and no bad.

but i think us in Philly are often S.O.L. when it comes to such things.

i'm sure you'll get it on the second night.

Thanks for the support! I just think Bad should bew right there with Streets as sacred.

We all have our songs we want played (others would be Ultaviolet, when I look at the world, the hands that built america, etc) but I'm not asking for the ridiculous - just a simple request that I be able to experience Bad live beore I return to worklife for the next 40 years then die.

BTW - do you think this is more a "guy" song - or do women equally "get it?"

I'm female, and I know other women who love it...I think it could go either way...whereas I think Bullet is more a guy thing. Anyway, I've been lucky to hear it a few times on this tour and I hope that continues.

I've never heard Bad live, either, and it's been my favorite U2 song for over 10 years. I've been at two shows this year where Bad was on the setlist but wasn't played. It's looking bleak for me, considering Buffalo is supposedly my only show left on the tour (I'm still trying to figure out if I can swing another show). I'm dying to hear it, since every version I've heard from this tour has been lovely.

I feel you, good luck getting Bad. It's funny, I've gotten Bad at most of the gigs I've seen, but missed out on SBS until Elevation (and I didn't much like the arrangement of it on the E tour).

That's the other side of the old complaint "Why do they have to play X every show?" I mean, imagine you've never seen U2, you're going to see them now...and they don't play Pride (or Streets, or Bad). I think fans who've seen U2 20+ times should keep that in mind.

OK, end thread hijack...I think you're getting Bad :)

You know, it's funny, 'cause I always thought Bad was a bit overrated, but as soon as I heard that loop start at my show after the Human Rights declaration instead of the familiar notes of Pride, I started freaking out in joy, and for good reason - amazing version of Bad, and totally unexpected, as this was early in the tour during the first night of a city (Chicago 5/7) and Bad had only showed up once or twice before. It ended up being the highlight of my show. Bono's speech before it was beautiful and then during the song he was holding those notes like crazy, and with such power. His voice is so fucking strong this tour. I think I prefer this tour's version to even the ZooTV falsetto. Bad is now one of my favourite songs, thanks to that mindblowing performance from Bono and the boys.

So, I hope they play Bad at your show! Seems now they do it most second night shows, especially if it's just a two-night city (if there's more then it might not show up til the third or fourth date).

I actually think not playing Bad every night makes it much more special. I mean, sure, everyone loves Streets, but imagine if they suddenly dropped it. Even the complainers would probably be like - wait - they dropped STREETS?! and then when U2 did play it again, everyone would be so happy about it. ya can't miss something unless it's GONE (which, hey, where the hell is Gone this tour?).

bad has quickly grown to my favorite of the live catalog.

i'm surprised by it because why so randomly.... but it's there and it is fantastic.

I believe Bad was actually originally in the night one setlist for Oakland.

However, out of its eleven performances on the third leg, nine have been on a second night, including the last five appearances. In Chicago, it was played on the first night as well as the second, and at the five NYC shows, it was only played at the third.

timothius said:
I thought this was a very belated Vertigo II discussion when I looked at the thread title. :lol:

:lmao: I thought this was going to be a Vertigo x2 thread myself!

Well, I had never heard "40" live and it was wish to see the Edge play bass and Adam play guitar for it. And I saw it two nights in straight for Houston and Dallas.

May your "Bad" wish come true. :D

U2Fanatic4ever said:
yep...they play BAD at the second show! I have been to 3 second shows this leg and BAD was played each time..

i agree. i've seen a few boston shows and they played bad on the 1st leg 2nd show. for the 2nd october show (10/4) my friend and i were front row in the ellipse and literally held hands and chanted BAD; instead they closed with 40. however, as it turns out, we ended up with the band's copy of the setlist for that night, and guess what--they were supposed to close with BAD. :p just ran out of time, i guess.

timothius said:
I thought this was a very belated Vertigo II discussion when I looked at the thread title. :lol:

:lmao:
that is truly hysterical!

AtomicBono said:
I think I prefer this tour's version to even the ZooTV falsetto. Bad is now one of my favourite songs, thanks to that mindblowing performance from Bono and the boys.

This version is definitely better than the ZOO TV falsetto version of Bad... in fact Discoteque at the first Popmart show was better than falcetto Bad.

I really hope they play it for Cleveland. But I doubt it, it'll probably just be the standard set-list. But oh well, it's going to be my first show. So it will be good.:wink:

I just don`t get why Edge would be tired of Bad:wink:
I never get tired of Bad!

The one song I get tired of is Pride:madspit:

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. Runner-up of tired songs though is One.

Just a shout out for all your positive thoughts and prayers. I got my Bad in Atlanta!! It was the best version I've ever heard (much less the first time experienced live). Bono actually got the "tion's" all right this time! And he must have screamed at least 7 "wide awakes" during the song withi full effort. Larry seemed to even smile when the song started.

I'm telling you, they need to do this every show. There is no comparison period. Every fan needs to experience it. Even streets, which normallty compares, is beginning to sound rushed in the shows. UTEOTW was also incredible, the zoo encores away others in my opinion.

THe People got the Power part in Bad is breathtaking.

Thank you over and over.

Question for Axver: What makes you say that "Bad" was originally intended to be in the night one Oakland setlist? I was there--and was hoping for it--but was disappointed to not get it again. Last three shows I've been to, they've played it on the other night that I didn't go to. Bummer for me. I would've preferred to go to Night two, however I did get that cool "One Tree Hill" snippet. All in all, I would've given that night to you, knowing what a big fan of that song you are. Also, I've never heard "Gloria" live, and I've been going to shows since Joshua Tree. Unbelievable. Guess it's just another reason to keep coming back.

Back
Top Bottom