Pop on Vertigo Tour???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd like to see a couple of songs from Zooropa and Pop added at the expense of some of the tired old "classics" such as SBS, BTBS and Pride. These have been a played at just about every gig on every tour for the last 20 years and should only be played occasionally, IMO. Besides, it's not as though they don't have much to choose from, is it?

They should bring back Please for starters............The transition from Please into Streets (played "properly") on the Pop tour was simply spine tingling. Now, these 2 songs performed this way really should be ever-presents.....IMO!

And, as for Zooropa, I'd appreciate just about anything from this under-rated album. So come on U2, Pleeeeeeeeeeease?

Chizip said:

im going to start a petition for you to be able to run things

I'd sign that.

I think U2 needs to do a tour where they just play Pop and Zooropa tunes, because they've been so overlooked...

...they could throw in Acrobat too :wink: Seriously though, I better get some Pop in Cleveland, damnit. Last Night on Earth was fuckin' fantastic live, bring that back. And so was Please. And Gone. And Mofo. And, well, every song from Pop. And Zooropa, what they ever actually DID play live...

I think Last Night on Earth would just rock out the house, awesome song especially live. Needs to be done this tour. I also agree with Chizip, no more acoustic sets. The shows have been straight through rock so far.

you know I saw a tribute band that played acrobat last night and it rocked

if a freaking tribute band can learn how to play it live why cant u2?

Mirrorball Man said:
If they sacked Bono then there wouldn't be half the amount of political bollix. Then we could have Zooropa, Pop and more shake ass.

If they sacked Bono, there wouldn't be a show. And U2 is more about politics---and rightly so---than "shake ass" (?), as you put it...

MarcusOneTree said:

If they sacked Bono, there wouldn't be a show. And U2 is more about politics---and rightly so---than "shake ass" (?), as you put it...

Actualy they are not.
There's a balance in U2 of politics, religion (or is it the same?), something to "shake ass" and "love" (in general... ex. parent-child, father-son, man-woman)
I never noticed they are more about "something" than "something else".

stereomic said:
They almost played Please on 5/10...then pulled it because they didn't have time to fully rehearse it....Dallas actually checked all the presets for Please on Edge's footpedal that afternoon

really?

how do you know this? what else can you tell me..

i don't think that the reason they don't play acrobat is because they can't learn it......

typhoon said:
If they played any Pop songs on the tour, they'd be dissatisfied with them, and Larry'd be saying how much he dislikes those performances, and Adam would talk about how the performances were rushed and incomplete, and Bono'd be mentioning in interviews that the band has been playing with the idea of reperforming those songs, and boom, before you know it, the tour DVD's out, and they've surreptitiously re-recorded the performances and even replaced one of them with their latest single at the moment, which wasn't even written at the time of the show.
:yes: i love you more and more with every post of yours i read. :love:

ive been having a terrible recurring nightmare recently

I have a terrible feeling that the Pop/Zooropa songs that will be added to the European Leg will be an accoustic Staring at the Sun and an accoustic Stay on the b-stage, and then a full band Discotheque.

I would cry and cry and cry if that happened. Luckily, I think we will at least see Please.

*prays for Mofo, Do you Feel Loved, Last Night on Earth, Gone, Please, Miami, Dirty Day, Zooropa, Daddy's Gonna Pay, an accoustic Wanderer :wink:* just something interesting and non predictable please

To discount Pop is to give WAY too much credit to the music media. IMHO, LNOE and Gone are amazing (and glad they're back in tour rotation!), Please is hugely underrated (just listen to it on the Popheart EP), SATS is great live acoustically, and Wake Up Dead Man is as good an album closer as ANY. Mind you, this is coming from a guy who would give a kidney to hear Slug or Your Blue Room live... :huh:

Sadly; I don't think we'll get Mofo again. How could it fit in the current setlist? Sad, I know, seeing as its the coolest thing ever.

However, if U2 were to play Discotheque; I think I'd be grinning for a month. Discotheque was always great live. And seeing as it was a number 1 single; you'd think they'd fecking play it a bit more.

packcrush said:
Sadly; I don't think we'll get Mofo again. How could it fit in the current setlist? Sad, I know, seeing as its the coolest thing ever.

The same way Zoo Station does currently. I said this in another post. Instead of the Achtung Baby encore of Zoo, The Fly, Myst. Ways. They could do the POP encore with Mofo, Discotheque and Gone (or something else similiar). They could rotate the POP and Achtung encores in and out on multiple night stands. I think it would work, wont happen, but would work! :laugh:

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

The same way Zoo Station does currently. I said this in another post. Instead of the Achtung Baby encore of Zoo, The Fly, Myst. Ways. They could do the POP encore with Mofo, Discotheque and Gone (or something else similiar). They could rotate the POP and Achtung encores in and out on multiple night stands. I think it would work, wont happen, but would work! :laugh:

OMG. . .thats brilliant! If only someone had Bonos phone number, we could tell him. They really need to do this. :drool:

packcrush said:

OMG. . .thats brilliant! If only someone had Bonos phone number, we could tell him. They really need to do this. :drool:

If you can get me Bono's phone number, I'd be more than willing to give him a call... :wink:

I agree, a Pop encore would ROCK, and they need to do it December 10th in Cleveland, and I love Pop.

the edges plec said:

Could'nt agree more i still think that mofo was the best opening song that has been played on any tour

Yea, that got the adrenaline pumping for sure!

Ghostwriter said:
Doesn't bother me one bit. POP was quite easily the low point of U2's career IMHO. I can't think of a single song from that album that has withstood the test of time and become a U2 classic. I haven't even played that CD ever since the POPmart tour ended, to be honest.

What does IMHO stand for?
In my holy opinion?
If that's true, then your opinion isn't holy.
Poprules,and should be on this tour

rattle and hum is the low point of U2's career. pop actually worked live. last night on earth rocked ... so did miami.

Pero said:

What does IMHO stand for?
In my holy opinion?
If that's true, then your opinion isn't holy.
Poprules,and should be on this tour

(In my humble opinion)

Yes, Please was snippeted in Brussels :drool:

I love POP! I think it was a more complete album than ATYCLB. Everything after In a Little While (with the exception of New York) on the cd sucked royally. At least Pop was a complete album, although Playboy mansion wasn't one of my favs. Pop worked well live and was one of their best "unique" albums before they moved back into more "traditional" U2 music.

Back
Top Bottom