Pick a classic wich you would like to see skipped the next time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jesus, people cry "Put this song to bed!" [Re: Pride] as if it's a bad song! It's not, it's brilliant. Just because you lot have been to around 500 shows this tour doesn't mean that it shouldn't stay, it's a crowd staple. Also, I think that One sounds brilliant now that they've kept the "Hear me coming Lord!" and "Unchained Melody" bits at the end [were they played on PopMart/Elevation?]

But, thinking that the "classics" are:
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride
Streets
One
Bullet
New Year's Day
Still Haven't Found

I'd say that Still Haven't Found could be rested. While it was totally awesome at the show I was at [Croke 3], it's really the "worst" out of the above ones, and needs a great crowd to make it really special.

U2 do need to keep classics in, whether it's for the newbies or the die-hards seeing their first show [Hello!]. At Croke 3, I would have been really pissed off if they didn't play songs like Pride or SBS or Bullet. The fact we got another classic [Bad] made it even better - and those songs were definitely the highlight of the night.

So: keep classics, play more songs! :D

BUT aren't these classics too?

Desire
The Unforgettable Fire
October
God Part II
Even Better than The Real Thing
Lemon
Angel of Harlem
When Love Comes to Town

U2 has so many classics they CAN'T play them all!

If I'm being selfish, then they should skip Pride. But there are loads of people at the show who would be disappointed if it wasn't played.

So in an altruistic frame of mind, they should drop Bullet. I don't think there are as many non-obsessive fans who would miss that one.

Niceman said:
BUT aren't these classics too?

Desire
The Unforgettable Fire
October
God Part II
Even Better than The Real Thing
Lemon
Angel of Harlem
When Love Comes to Town

U2 has so many classics they CAN'T play them all!

Well, I certainly wouldn't call them real "classics". Great songs [for the most part - too much R+H and not enough AB :wink:] but not classics in the sense that everyone knows them. And Bullet is a classic thanks to The "I can actually play guitar really well" Edge's solo.

Bodnex said:

And Bullet is a classic thanks to The "I can actually play guitar really well" Edge's solo.

:lmao:

I'm thinking they should probably retire Discotheque, I mean I know it was good on Popmart and all but I'm so tired of them playing it all the time...

Just kidding. Pride or Still Haven't Found.

Bodnex said:
Jesus, people cry "Put this song to bed!" [Re: Pride] as if it's a bad song! It's not, it's brilliant. Just because you lot have been to around 500 shows this tour doesn't mean that it shouldn't stay, it's a crowd staple. :D

I have only been to 2 U2 shows in my life and I would like to see it dropped. It is good on record but the only time I have liked it live is on Rattle and Hum.

The classics I would like to see skiped in the next tour are I Will Follow, SBS and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. I'm tired of them, even though they are amazing live songs. But I Will Follow and I Still haven't Found seem to be a fillers on the set lists lately and Sunday Bloody Sunday has been played in every show since The Elevation Tour and it will be played until the end of this tour so it's time to giveit a rest again.

Bodnex said:
And Bullet is a classic thanks to The "I can actually play guitar really well" Edge's solo.
Uh, no, I don't think so.

nickypiemcg said:

I have only been to 2 U2 shows in my life and I would like to see it dropped. It is good on record but the only time I have liked it live is on Rattle and Hum.

Pfft, you've just been listening to these guys too much, it's really a brilliant song to start and brilliant for involving the crowd.

And BrazilianFly, care to elaborate?

Pride, NOT one. Still love One. Gotta have One.

That's the problem with a band as good as U2. They have been around for so long that they can't possibly play every good song they have- it would be a 5 hour concert at minimum. (Not that I think that is a BAD idea mind you.)

Although I do feel a good start would be playing something else entirely rather than VERTIGO twice- *uck that bugged me.

Last edited:
stale songs

Just curious, but how many of you guys/gals make up each U2 show every night? Just what percentage of the crowd do you think have been to 10+ U2 shows over the course of their career, let alone 10 of any current tour? I suspect maybe 1-2%. The vast majority are people who don't collect bootlegs and who only hear U2 live maybe once every three years, so for them to hear a "stale" old song like Pride or WOWY is still fresh and exciting. I think too many folks here have played the boots over and over again or been to too many shows, to the point that you may have gotten tired of a particular song. But if Pride still gets 90+% of the crowd jumping and dancing then obviously they haven't heard it too many times.

That having been said, Pride is indeed the song I am the least likely to play at home these days just because I've heard it so much.

For one of the recent Chicago shows, I was sitting next to two ladies who said they'd never been to a U2 show before. Suffice it to say, they appreciated Pride and all the classics.

Though I was darn impressed that one of the ladies got super excited when they played SYCMIOYO, so she wasn't just a fan of "old" U2.

Back
Top Bottom