Party Girl in Chicago II!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

L03VIk

War Child
WOW! That was a big surprice. I was starting to think they wouldn´t bring in "new" stuff now. Seemed like they got stuck with the setlist...

Last edited:
Here´s the complete setlist btw:
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
The Cry
The Electric Co.
An Cat Dubh
Into The Heart
Beautiful Day
New Year's Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own / No Regrets (snippet)
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky / The Hands That Built America (snippet) / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet)
Running To Stand Still
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

encore(s):
Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
All Because Of You
Yahweh
Party Girl

I also liked that they now played 23 songs (if you count Cry/Electric and Cat/Heart as only 2 songs..). I think a U2 show should be at least 2 hours...

how did they go from Yahweh to pulling the girl up to play 'Party Girl'? The song usually segueways into the closing 40. Just curious...

Wish I knew that too...
I hope there is a recording of this surfacing sometime in the future... The bootleg releases has really slowed down recently, but I don´t think the demand is as big as it was when the tour started either.

I just don´t hope someone is sitting on tapes forever, and never releases it. In my opinion a month or two is fine, so the taper can use them as trade objects etc. But after that they should be freely distributed...

If the torrentsites respect releasedates (not like Dime, who posted san diego dvd anyway...), I think the use of such dates is the way to go. (As long as they are up to a few months...)

I know that some tapers hang on to tapes forever just to have a great trading object, but if everybody did this, new bootleg collectors would never get into "the market"...

But I guess this is a whole other discussion, that is going on all around the forum, so maybe we shouldn´t take that one here too...

Anyways, anyone heard of when the DVD is due to release (official Chicago..)??

L03VIk said:
Anyways, anyone heard of when the DVD is due to release (official Chicago..)??

My guess...if the fottage is good enough, they think the shows are good enough....we'll see it around the same time as when the Boston DVD came out, Which was November '01, in Australia anyway.

bono_man2002 said:

My guess...if the fottage is good enough, they think the shows are good enough....we'll see it around the same time as when the Boston DVD came out, Which was November '01, in Australia anyway.

same with america :wink:

Party Girl in Chicago

After Yahweh, Larry and Adam made their way back to the main stage to start 40. Bono spotted a girl in on the main floor who apparently had a sign or something that said she could play guitar. Bono yanked her up on stage and Edge gave her his acoustic guitar. Bono stopped Adam and Larry before they could start 40. He asked the girl what she wanted to play and she said she wanted to play Party Girl. So, the crowd roared and we were off....She did great considering she was in front of 20,000 people. The crowd shouted during the appropriate moments a la Under a Blood Red Sky. It was a great moment.

The show, however, seemed kind of forced. The setlist was a little draggy and his preaching, while expected, seemed a little more rambling than usual.

It was a good night. Not a great one. They filmed the show but from Bono having throat problems early, I'd doubt they release it.

Matt

I was behind the "Party Girl" chick on Saturday; I think she had a little sign that said "I play guitar". She was in basically the same spot last night. It is SO COOL that Bono brought her on stage and let her play. I would have been so nervous I would have passed out or puked if it had been me. She did great considering.

It may just be the difference between sitting in seats (last night) versus GA (Saturday) but the room didn't feel as electric to me last night. I do think the filming slowed things down a little bit.

But overall an awesome show. Can't wait for tonight and Thursday.

just Bono (and the crowd) sang. He looked at the main stage a couple times and I was wondering if he wanted the guys to start playing along but they didn't.

Then they finished up and the rest of the band immediately started "40". I noticed the "how longs" didn't go on nearly as long as Saturday night. Too bad since they were filming.

Anyone know if they are filming again tonight?

It's funny, they played this the night before Bono's b'day and also played it on Larry's birthday in Providence on the Elevation Tour.

quadcaster said:
did the boys remember how to play it/sing it??! *laughs*

Heh. Everyone remembers Bono attempting to sing "A Sort Of Homecoming" with Scott Perretta, right?

Re: Party Girl in Chicago

mjaeky said:
The show, however, seemed kind of forced. The setlist was a little draggy and his preaching, while expected, seemed a little more rambling than usual.

He definitely talked a lot more. During the Miracle Drug into I thought that he might have gone :coocoo:

And does anyone else still think that dedicating "Running To Stand Still" to our soldiers is really, really strange?

Chicago

oops. Think I posted this in the wrong place. (obvious babyface)Last night did not have the spark I expected but last tour I always saw them from the heart.

The heart looked subdued compared to Chicago 2001 but that was after 9/11. We were jumping from Sgt Peppers through the end.

Wonder about effect of poor presale system and random access to oval on enthusiasm of those inside. Let's face it, when you have been waiting 12+ hours, you are REALLY pumped. :lol:

RTSS WAS an odd dedication and not the moving performance that it usually is.

A great show but not my favorite. LOVED hearing An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart.

Mary

I was in the ellipse, it wasn't subdued where I was in front of Adam mostly, however, I did notice towards the back and middle, it was a bit less rocking than I would have expected.

Also, the ellipse had much more open space than usual that may have added to lesser energy level. I was surprised by how much room their was compared to other tour dates. They had multiple cameras throughout the ellipse so it may have had something to do with this.

However, I did feel the 5/9 show had more energy and rhythym then on 5/7.

It sounds like it was cool. Was it acustic? I kinda wish they would change there playlist a little bit.

I talked to Laura (?) after the show, her sign said what the chords of Party Girl were, in case they had forgotten and that she could play it. When Bono pulled her up he said, "you know, false advertising is against the law, so what do you want to play."

She said it was easy to play the song, but it was hard strumming because she was so shaky and nervous, she did mini-solo that the crowd applauded to tremendously. Awesome moment!

learn2kneel said:

She said it was easy to play the song, but it was hard strumming because she was so shaky and nervous, she did mini-solo that the crowd applauded to tremendously. Awesome moment!

Yeah, I was right near the tip of the ellipse and of course everybody applauded, but the song was pretty much mangled and only saved by a very patient Bono. Still cool for her, but no way it'll make the dvd.

Well she got another chance last night!! He yanked her up again during the second encore and she went on the main stage and played it with the whole band...it was GREAT!!!!! Awesome, awesome show!!!!

Catlady said:
Well she got another chance last night!! He yanked her up again during the second encore and she went on the main stage and played it with the whole band...it was GREAT!!!!! Awesome, awesome show!!!!

I was front row in the ellipse tonight and yeah Party Girl sounded awesome ...but for some reason i was a bit annoyed that the same person got pulled up 2 nights in a row; there were tons of people I met in the GA line that were guitar players and would have died for 1 opportunity, let alone 2 opportunities. Maybe bono felt bad for poking fun at her the night before or something. If Laura's guitar was plugged in it was definitely quiet because I couldn't pick it out even when I noticed a couple or wrong notes being played. In any case it sounded awesome, but the whole Party Girl situation tonight seemed way too staged and sort of deflated a bit of the excitment--at least for me.

Last edited:
staged is right. i think why the oomph is out on this tour ( at least in my opinion) is that the band doesnt seem to be having any fun.

May 10 Party girl

Were they filming again May 10? If so, maybe they saw potential the first night and wanted to get a better version on tape?

yeah, they were filming. supposedly the filming is finished so I am hoping for a different set tonight...

Back
Top Bottom