original of the species.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottyT

Refugee
do you think the two times they attempted it (i believe brooklyn and apple) sealed this song's doom?

personally i think it is one of the most amazing songs i have ever heard, but a lot of times U2 doesn't translate such songs to live performances.... (drowningman.....acrobat) do you think they will rehearse this, or just let it remain album genius? (Larry's drumming in the intro just sets the stage for something amazing.... ugh!). anyway.... thoughts?

or is this pretty well worn territory?

it still has a chance to be like kite on the last album, which took them a month to play live. they took their time to get kite right, and it was worth it- if they can do the same this could be a highlight of the set much like kite was for elevation.

hopefully it will get played- they have a long way to go so don't write it off yet.

jphelmet said:
it still has a chance to be like kite on the last album, which took them a month to play live. they took their time to get kite right, and it was worth it- if they can do the same this could be a highlight of the set much like kite was for elevation.

hopefully it will get played- they have a long way to go so don't write it off yet.

i hope youre right, id love to see OOTS played by the 3rd leg.... and speaking of Kite, they NEED to bring it back. id gladly have them drop Pride, Bullet, or Zoo Station for it!

good good pop artist, i love this song and i hope that it is and will be performed well.

our fellow fan Malcolm has stated on several threads his feelings on the performance and the song, so i guess that is one opinion out there, but i was glad to read yours as well.

thanks for posting!

oh true, i just downloaded it, and although it is a rough and random version, it is beautiful and i love it. it's very pure with just the piano and all, and well i'm glad the boys put it out there.

just heard it... Bono seems to nail it pretty well considering they've hardly played it, and it's a beautiful piano peace by The Edge...

Edge's guitar work though, on this song, is so brilliant on the album version, the track loses some force without it....

truly amazing song, it will be overpowering if they figure a way to work in the guitar....

Possibly The Edge could play the first verse or two on piano and then switch over, the way he does on New Year's Day....

If he plugged in as the song started building towards that tremendous crescendo, it seems like it could work...

This track (probably their best since '91--some of The Edge's best work without question) should outright overwhelm the audience (similar to the way Streets and Bad does)...

It won't have this same effect though, if they leave it as is...

I heard it too, just beautiful! You are right jrjunior but I would be happy even if they left it as it. As long as it's there!

why can't bono just play the piano part? by now he could have learned it. he did for sweetest thing (which he struggled with) but with edge around to teach he should be able to do it.

jphelmet said:
why can't bono just play the piano part? by now he could have learned it. he did for sweetest thing (which he struggled with) but with edge around to teach he should be able to do it.

Original is a bit more difficult on piano than the "Sweetest Thing".

I think its a brilliant song, and i hope they stick with it throughout the tour.

The part for me that makes or breaks it is not the guitar or the piano - it's the "....keeping your love under controooooool!"

Can someone tell me if Bono 100% nailed it?

theoeiii said:
The part for me that makes or breaks it is not the guitar or the piano - it's the "....keeping your love under controooooool!"

Can someone tell me if Bono 100% nailed it?

I dont think Bono missed any lyrics and the rest of the band were perfect too. They played a great version of the song, everybody nailed it in my opinion. The drums were pretty damn cool! The only thing missing was the guitar. If only Bono had played rithym guitar there, it would have been a perfect version for a live debut (I know its not exactly a debut but whatever). They probably have been rehearsing it for some time. I hope they are rehearsing Crumbs too!!! :drool:

TheBrazilianFly said:

The only thing missing was the guitar. If only Bono had played rithym guitar there, it would have been a perfect version for a live debut

Absolutely... Bono really needs to play the guitar to fill it up. And it is really not that difficult to play (even for Bono:wink: )

I just listened to Original of the Species from San Jose. It sounds SOOOOO good. I agree that it does need a guitar to fill up thes sound a little. Either that or the whole thing should be just the piano.

Edge on the piano was great, no guitar at all, I thought that was an amazing change in the way the set felt, beautiful performance imo

I hate suggesting sampling, but the have to do it anyway (they used samples for COBL and ABOY at Brooklyn Bridge). What if the just sampled the keyboards? Edge plays guitar. Song is amazing.

OOTS

Saw them perform it at San Jose 2, nearly made me jump onto the stage.

Very clean, stripped down version.

At the end, Adam looked at Larry and said, "Wow".

It worked.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom