Ok, what really happened to Bono's vocal chords...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: sinus surgery

desire25 said:

speaking from experience, a sinus surgery does affect your voice quality. a few weeks after undergoing through one 4 yrs ago, a friend i talked to on the phone told me i sounded different. the pitchiness was gone and my voice is now on the lower register and a bit raspier than before. maybe because the sinuses were emptied from the stuff and there's more air passing through and more smoothly and thus voice becomes more hollow.

Ick. I wonder how Bono would feel knowing we are discussings the emptying of his sinuses. *chuckle*

Oh well. I hope yours went smoothly four years ago!

:cute:

whoever mentioned red hill mimng down - it was luck. it's y it was never released as a single, bono couldn't consistently reach the high notes.

And whoever (i think it was zooropa man) wanted more on what i said previous.

The strain on their voices isn't good yes, but the pitch of a mans voice is decided at puberty by how well it breaks. A total 'break' will give the bass, but people like bono and Robbie didn't have the clean break hence the tenor voices. This especially comes when people are singing throughout puberty, especially in church choirs etc

However if you gave bono a song 2 sing by, 2 use your example, linkin park, he would struggle because it is all low pitched (whilst bono can do low pitchde it is noticably not the best part of his range)

And the vocal lines not being so high on Atomic Bomb.. this fits in with the current trend amongst bands not to write songs that really push their vocalist. Hope this clears it up for you and everyone else

Miricale_Drug said:
And the vocal lines not being so high on Atomic Bomb..

:scratch: Really? You think so? I thought the overall vocal pitch of da bomb is higher than the last couple of U2 records. Maybe me ears are playin tricks on me though.

Miricale_Drug said:
whoever mentioned red hill mimng down - it was luck. it's y it was never released as a single, bono couldn't consistently reach the high notes.
If Red Hill was the only song on JT that hit that range, I'd agree it was luck. But you look at what he did on that album, it was not luck. Just god-given talent and effort.

Lots of singers may be able to reach a pinnacle in the studio, under controlled conditions, that they couldn't replecate nightly on a 100-date tour... that's why you get different live arrangements, tuned to lower keys, etc.

That said, listen to JT tour bootlegs and see how high Bono did sing many songs, and how hard he pushed it on a nightly basis.

Unfortunately, he learned too late (or never learned) how to coax the upper registers on a consistent basis without straining and shouting. That, I believe, was the undoing of his voice from "the golden years," and why the series of shows toward the end of Lovetown had to be rescheduled.

i THINK bono has also in the past refused voice production lessons.

And i agree, it makes a pleasant change to have constructive debates on this forum. And broken fly, red hill has a lot of extended high passages. I've just had a flick through and WOWY doesn't have masses of high stuff, streets only has a few notes that really hit the heights of RHMT,

On WOWY, it's mainly the choruses, and "nothing left to lose." Not terribly obvious, but taxing nonetheless, and he certainly toned down that delivery in later years.

On Streets it is also subtle... but in the key for the album it is challenging. Listen, for contrast, to how he crashed and burned on 04/02/87, when his throat/voice was screwed up. Streets becomes almost unsingable.

Still Haven't Found pushes in LOTS of places. Daniel Lanois's analysis of this song in the "making of the Joshua Tree" DVD is very informative.

What's most impressive about the JT singing isn't just the registers, but the emotive quality of Bono's voice. It's most definitely another instrument, and one that takes a starring role on the album.

Ok I just listened to some of the songs from the seattle 2 bootleg and it's pretty clear to me that he is sounding AMAZING these days, better than he has at any point since zoo tv.

In almost every single song, he's hitting high A's or above, Streets is now sung in the original recorded key(for the first time ever on a full scale tour I believe), the Fly rocks, he nails the high notes in BAD, SYCMIOYO etc etc. Gloria sounds really fresh and nearly identical to versions that are 25 years old. I agree that the tone of his voice has changed some over the years but I like the way his voice sounds now too and his range is crazy. I'm not sure what he has done in the last four years to accomplish this but it's pretty impressive to me.

From what I have heard, Bono stopped smoking around 1999... the main reason he stopped was because of the problems he had during her Popmart tour...

and as for his voice on this tour... I'll say this, it's different, much higher pitch... however, it's stronger than it's been in 10 years... he is hitting every Wide Awake on Bad, and also going strong on the chourus of Pride... my $.2 cents.

no Pride as far as i know has never been played live in the original key - It was played a half step down through Zoo TV, and since then has been played two half-steps down. If you don't know what half-steps are, think of each half step as a one-unit increment. Let me know if this is clear enough.

Couldn't it be possible that Bono just doesn't take care of his voice, or didn't in the previous tours? He would go from interviews for his Drop the Debt Campaign, to interviews for the band, to singing on stage. I believe everything people said here is correct, in some way. I was a singer in a band for a long time, and I knew to keep myself quiet if I needed my voice for many nights in a row. Bono didn't do that last tour,and I don't think he ever did till recently. This, along with what most say about the other reasons is why his voice has changed a little. But seriously, he sounds better that he has since ZooTV. I enjoy now as much as then, it is just a little older and wiser. This is definitely a Phun thread, and one that is very enlightening!

Thanx Miracle for the informative posts. But do you think Bono could get his voice back to the ZooTV days, or is it gone for good?

Okay, as an informal singer, yet a connaseur of great voices, AKA Sinatra et al., there are a lot of things to take under consideration. I also have experience in health and aging too. I'll explain this shortly. I too, agree with many people that his voice is the best it has been since the early 90's. I'm listening to the Glendale night 2 concert right now, and the clear examples are Streets, and Bad, among others.

Bono over the years has tried to help his voice. Many times to little avail. Yes, it was reported that Red Hill Mining town didn't make the tour because he couldn't hit it. This was why the video was made and then quickly shelved.

Bono had stated that by the Zootv period he was smoking more. This progressed through the Popmart tour. And if you notice, listening Achtung through POP his voice was becoming more nasil, thinner and higher.

This happened for many reasons. What is ironic is that as weak as his voice was on the Elevation tour, he and the band, made a concerted effort for him to protect it as often as possible.

Smoking: He mentioned that started smoking more during zootv, and then it progressed. Then he made a concerted effort to stop ATYCL era. In part for his health, in part for his voice. He then mentioned listening to early albums, he singed "high, in a girly" way. So he started smoking again.

Protection: He has used humidifiers constantly during tours. There are pictures of him on the planes using them, to keep his lungs moist, and as Edge has said, to make him shut up. It has been known that every tour, he has blown out his voice at some point. Even, and especially during the "golden years" as some people like to put it. During Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree and LoveTown, as his voice was that beautiful and almost baritone, he completely shredded his voice. It was powerful, but as he put it, it wasn't controlled so he would shout and not sing.

But, in my opinion, other factors majorly affect his performance. In the 90's he started singing, as he put it. When you listen to the albums, he wasn't really shouting or belting the songs. Technincally this is also where he took a major turn. He started recording albums, from the couch, literally. ANYONE who knows singing will tell you this is the absolute worst way to sing. You cruch your diaprhagm and sing only from your throat, thus higher sounding voice, and more pressure on your throat. This has carried over live, where on the recent tours he has still sung very much from his throat. This will destroy a voice fast. I noticed that some times, on the Elevation tours, his voice would go in and out, and at some points, he would hit a huge resonating note, such as the beginning to Streets, and you could tell he was getting his whole diaphragm into it.

As one gets older, your nasal passages change a little bit. Your throat are become a little more calcified as do lungs. This happens without smoke, but smoke obviously doesn't help. Men's voices get higher. It's biological.

Stories about his sinuses are also true. He has said this is n concern to his wine allergies, he even passed out a few times from drinking too much red. But again, smoking doesn't help much either.

When I first heard songs from this album, I noticed Bono was using mroe open sounding vowels. A good choice when you want to sing loudly and open your mouth. So much of singing loudly, is actually about doing it safely. When I first heard ATYCLYB, I wondered why they put vocal choruses over the heaviest guitar power riffs, e.g. Beautiful Day an Elevation. One voice against 40 Marshall Stacks isn't the best.

But what I have noticed lately from the concerts is that when he sings in a regular register during this tour, his voice sounds slightly deeper. This could be from the Sinus surgery as some have stated. It also seems, that he is singing more from his diaphragm now, and less from his throat. This too is what makes a voice slightly deeper and more robust. His voice isn't as thin as it has been in recent years. If you listen to Streets, he seems to be singing it again, where over the last few tours, he was kind of shouting it. His high points don't sound perfect, but they haven't sounded bad.

All in all, I would simply say, he's easily sounding better. Now, I've written too much and I will go back to lurking.

Just listen to some of his early albums. That stuff is NOT NATURAL. Singing "Wide Awake" a couple thousand times will do some serious damage to your voice. Human beings just aren't meant to do that.

blindinglights said:
no Pride as far as i know has never been played live in the original key - It was played a half step down through Zoo TV, and since then has been played two half-steps down. If you don't know what half-steps are, think of each half step as a one-unit increment. Let me know if this is clear enough.

Half step = the two notes in the Jaws music :wink:

I guess I'm alone here, but I like the sound of Bono's voice better now. Maybe a little rougher but sounds better to me. I also don't know what shows people are going to or listening to, but he's been sounding great on this tour. Bad is the best in years. I am bias because I think Bono has the best voice in music history.

The biggest factor is Bono was never properly taught how to sing correctly, he has always been pushing, instead of singing from the diaprgahm. I read that he took voice lessons but quit after just a few lessons, for reasons, such as if he sings correctly all the time he cant put as much emotion behind the songs etc.. Just watch the Unforgettable Fire Documentary, when he does some scat singing, he pushes. So over many years of singing Live (bad, pride, etcc) it wares on your voice. And of course smoking and drinking is also part of the problem.
I dont think Red Hill Mining Town was luck, Bono could easily hit those notes back then, Im sure some days he had better days then others with singing, but dont we all.
So Bono's voice has just taken many hits, but Im sure that he is back on track trying to sing correctly, and do his vocal cord excercises.

I can!

... but I'm a girl, so it doesn't really count. :wink:

I've noticed when they've lowered keys for Pride and SBS (I hate it when they do it, but I understand why), but I've never noticed a key change for Streets. It's always my favorite part of the show, and I'm paying so much attention that I think I would notice.

But can anyone confirm if they really lowered the key on any tours? I'm really curious to see if my overwhelming love for the song drowned out my musical ear. :wink:

Huh! I can't believe that passed me by. I think now I have to go watch it 20 times in a row to make sure. :wink:

He had a surgery in late 90's. I thought Popmart was his worst vocal performance on an album, also live - he sounded like he was on helium.

If you will recall, he said the raspy voice on ATYCLB songs was intentional. There are clear examples of voice improvements like Elevation, Stuck and most definitely Kite. Following that, he sounded reallly raspy on the tour, but then again singing over 100 nights would help in that.

Electrical storm was also a further sign of a better voice, as is HTDAAB. He is much better in the higher parts now (listen to Until the end of the world from Chicago - the way he hits the "love love" and "naah nah nah nah" ending) - so whatever he was doing to help his chords, it clearly worked. I also think he sounds better in the lower parts of his voice.

Miricale_Drug said:
The strain on their voices isn't good yes, but the pitch of a mans voice ....

Thank you for this detailed, thoughful answer, as well as for your other answers in this thread. I appreciate the time and effort undertaken to explain these concepts to people with little technical musical knowledge such as myself.

Thanks again.

I thought his voice sounded great when I saw them this tour. I can't compare it to any other tour, because this is my first, but it sounded wonderful to me. I love the way his voice sounds on HTDAAB compared to JT actually. Its aged like fine wine :)

in responce to the earlier question i can hit the high bits or red hill mining town VERY comfortably (and a bit higher as well) - and yes my voice has broken.. it just broke really wierd

FullonEdge2 said:
If his voice was that much more terrible for atyclb, how do you explain the whoo hoos on Elevation?

easy, those are pre-recorded for the live show. seriously.

Back
Top Bottom