No POP songs???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBBad11

The Fly
When will we see a song from POP? There are some awesome rockin songs on that album like Mofo, Last Night on Earth, or Do You Feel Loved. Why not play at least one of them?

i'll answer your question, bbbad.

u2 is as safe as ricky henderson en route to second base, circa 1993.

pop wasn't well liked by many inept north americans, and was originally branded as being "bad" by many on this side of the ocean.

and since it's no secret that u2 are avoiding stepping on toes at all costs, they're not gonna play something that might "alienate" their fans.

meanwhile, they continue to insult their fans night after night by playing 'elevation' and 'vertigo' twice.

corianderstem said:
Ooh, how about this?

I don't know, but it's probably your fault.

Well isn't everyone a smart ass!!! If you don't like the setlist threads go to another forum!!!! If you have anything creative to say besides running you mouths off with mindless insults I'd be happy to read it.

As to Zoomerang:
I liked Pop, I thought it was a better complete album than ATYCLB. The 2nd half of ATYCLB sucked in my opinion. I think U2 has the fan base that it does because they weren't afraid to try new sounds but lately they seem to be backpeddaling on that as fast as possible.

BBad11, I'm sorry you didn't like me being a smart-ass. I actually don't mind set-list complaints ... as long as something new is said. I've read several threads where people actually have something new to say about it.

"Why don't they play songs from xxx album," however, doesn't fall into that category. So when a thread is started with something new to say, I'll pipe up with something interesting.

Until then, yet another thread that's repeating what countless others have said before, with nothing new to add, is going to be met with some derision.

So come on, thread and posters, prove me wrong and come up with something more interesting to say.

Oh, and

...running you mouths off with mindless insults I'd be happy to read it

If you took it as an insult, I apologize - it was meant as a simple smart-ass remark, not an insult at all.

Why no ZOOROPA or POP songs until now? Well, U2 don't want to play them at the moment. Not more, not less. If you don't like the setlists at all, I'll have a good idea instead of always bashing around: Give your ticket(s) to those, who'd like to go ...

corianderstem said:
Because they hate you.

No, they hate all of us!! I can't believe that they don't play a personal concert for everyone single one of us, why are they so selfish???

:wink:

corianderstem said:
BBad11, I'm sorry you didn't like me being a smart-ass. I actually don't mind set-list complaints ... as long as something new is said. I've read several threads where people actually have something new to say about it.

"Why don't they play songs from xxx album," however, doesn't fall into that category. So when a thread is started with something new to say, I'll pipe up with something interesting.

Until then, yet another thread that's repeating what countless others have said before, with nothing new to add, is going to be met with some derision.

Agreed!

I'm just curious if the band are aware that the version of pride they are playing right now sucks.

why can't bono just say "look guys, we've played this tune for the last 20 years and it's one of our best. but I just can't sing it anymore. let's do something else."

also, why doesn't edge say "listen guys, we've played bullet the blue sky for the last 18 years and it's usually kicked some major ass. but I'm tired of playing the same guitar solo on it that I've worked out for the last 13 years, and it's really not fresh anymore. maybe we can try something else".

go ahead and flame me now.

@JOFO
Don't know, if we become friends today, so sorry, but: "Pride" is one of U2's "Greatest Hits" - and a still highly popular rock anthem with a still valid message - if you like it or not, but that is a fact.
The other fact is that the triple "Pride", "Stréets" and "One" are a fixed block dealing with "politics" - one of the basic elements of the VERTIGO tour. So, again, like it or not - that's the way it is. by the way: I like it ...

JOFO said:
I'm just curious if the band are aware that the version of pride they are playing right now sucks.

why can't bono just say "look guys, we've played this tune for the last 20 years and it's one of our best. but I just can't sing it anymore. let's do something else."

Exactly! I mean, right now I'd rather hear A Man And A Woman rather than Pride.

As for the setlist... If you were AT the concert, and it was the ONLY one you were going to (as in my case with the concert in Ottawa), would you really want them to go off and start experimenting with a new setlist, making tons of mistakes, the concert having no flow, and then you being totally disappointed?

All of you people who complain about the setlists are the ones sitting at your computers looking at the setlists from each night, and when WGRYWH comes up you have an episode. You're not there...

For example, you might like to READ that Play Boy Mansion was played... but if you were there, you'd rather hear SBS cause it's a classic. U2 is not trying to make people outside the building happy, they are trying to make the majority of the paying fans happy!

Some hardcore fans go to a dozen shows on a tour and get bored and want Wire and Surrender and LNOE... I go to one, and I want to hear the classics and the new HTDAAB songs. If they throw a few curveballs in that is AWESOME, cause I love those too, but not more than one or two.

I think Pride actually sounds better this tour than it has on other tours. The Mexico Popmart video springs to mind - man, that was PAINFUL to listen to.

But yeah, if they're going to keep playing it forever (which I believe they will), they might want to knock it down a step or so, to make it a wee bit easier for Bono.

Am I the only person who prefers the Popmart Pride :reject:

Pride and Bullet need a rest. They don't have to be played everynight, but U2 thinks so. Pride and Bullet should be played just as much as Bad this tour. Make it special when its played. Question, has Bullet been played at every show since the JT tour?

I can understand why they might feel the need to play Pride every time they play a concert, but they could definitely stand to lose Bullet, and not suffer many complaints about it, whether it's from a casual fan or an obsessed ... er, focused fan like us.

:wink:

seriouslt, U2 has enough hits where they could rotate them at the shows so the setlist becomes more varied and there are still plenty of hits for the non diehards. you dont have to play the exact same hits for every show of every tour.

no if we can just get you to admit that One has become stale and boring as well :wink:

At the risk of becoming a setlist griper, I have to say this version of One, while it should be moving and a call to action in the midst of the whole One Campaign and Drop the Debt, feels a little flat.

Alas.

corianderstem said:
At the risk of becoming a setlist griper, I have to say this version of One, while it should be moving and a call to action in the midst of the whole One Campaign and Drop the Debt, feels a little flat.

Alas.

welcome to the darkside :macdevil:

You know what though? I've almost always preferred the studio version of One over almost any live version (Zoo TV is the only one I've really "felt").

So I'm not really on the dark side. I'm gray. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom