New Jersey 5/17 Setlist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeman

Refugee
This is from u2log.com
pretty standard stuff from the looks of it; they must be getting good at this!..

1 City of Blinding Lights
2 Vertigo
3 Elevation
4 The Electric Co.
5 An Cat Dubh
6 Into the Heart
7 Beautiful Day
8 Miracle Drug
9 Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
10 Love and Peace or Else
11 Sunday Bloody Sunday
12 Bullet the Blue Sky
13 Running to Stand Still
14 Pride
15 Where the Streets Have No Name
16 One
encore:
17 Zoo Station
18 The Fly
19 Mysterious Ways
20 Original of the Species
21 All Because Of You
22 Yahweh
23 40
24 Vertigo

wonder why they keep playing Vertigo twice...I mean, I know why.

It sounded great on chicago 5/10, but it would be cool to hear "out of control" or "I will follow" end the show.

Out of Control would be AWESOME, as would I Will Follow - they should mix up the setlist more as it is, hearing Vertigo twice is cool and all, but mix it up a little boys

Look at the Boy tour that this tour harkens back to, with 11 O Clock opening and closing shows, and I think you'll understand Vertigo being played twice.

As long as they're "pretending" it's 1980 by playing a song twice, why don't they take it a step further and charge $7 for a ticket.

I know that on paper playing "Vertigo" twice seems lame, but as someone who was there last night, I can attest that it was ridiculously cool. The band left the stage one-by-one during "40," as usual, but then Larry started wailing away on kit, and the drum solo then turned into the beginning of "Vertigo" again.

Somehow, the crowd was even MORE into the song the 2nd time. To me, the crowd may have been the story yesterday -- it was really vigorous and absurdly LOUD, prompting Bono to comment on it. I also think it was the crowd's enthusiam that prompted the clearly spontaneous "Original of the Species" and the encore of "Vertigo."

jon_lemire said:
I know that on paper playing "Vertigo" twice seems lame, but as someone who was there last night, I can attest that it was ridiculously cool. The band left the stage one-by-one during "40," as usual, but then Larry started wailing away on kit, and the drum solo then turned into the beginning of "Vertigo" again.

Somehow, the crowd was even MORE into the song the 2nd time. To me, the crowd may have been the story yesterday -- it was really vigorous and absurdly LOUD, prompting Bono to comment on it. I also think it was the crowd's enthusiam that prompted the clearly spontaneous "Original of the Species" and the encore of "Vertigo."

yeah, i was there too, and the energy was pretty awesome. and not just in the pit. when the bright lights came on, and you saw nearly everyone standing, all the way up to the 300s sections at the back wall, you knew you were witnessing something special.

They should end each concert with 40 and then Vertigo. Why not open the show with COBL, and then I will follow or Out of control for the 2nd number, and just vertigo for the end.

MrBrau1 said:
As long as they're "pretending" it's 1980 by playing a song twice, why don't they take it a step further and charge $7 for a ticket.

I'd go for that.

the show rocked - the place went nuts when they came out for the vertigo encore. As someone said before, it may look lame on paper, but if you were there, it was great.

i was in 227 and most of my section was sitting down for a good part of the show. this was by far my least favorite of the 4 shows i've seen on this tour.

HyperU2 said:
Look at the Boy tour that this tour harkens back to, with 11 O Clock opening and closing shows, and I think you'll understand Vertigo being played twice.

thats why i said "i know why..." but why? ya its a tribute to the old days and thats great and all, but lets hear another song instead.

RademR said:

thats why i said "i know why..." but why? ya its a tribute to the old days and thats great and all, but lets hear another song instead.

Yeah, they should just play 11 O'Clock Tick Tock! That would be a nice tribute!

But oh well, sounds like it's working, so let pragmatism rule.

HyperU2 said:

the difference is the boy tour was in small bars and clubs where people did not always come to see U2 and many people show up late. as someone at night one, playing vertigo twice is a complete crime. up until that point the show may have been better than night two, but night two far exceeds night one in the end. as cool as it was to hear edge strike the first chord of all because of you and bono stopping him and sending him to the piano, thats how bad it was to hear vertigo twice. and i'm not a huge fan of nyd, but damn that would have torn the roof oof the place after 40. or i will follow or out of control. or anything not played already.

Needle_Chill said:

Yeah, they should just play 11 O'Clock Tick Tock! That would be a nice tribute!

ya, that would be great. Or "Out of Control".

good points, vervefloyd. I was at Chicago 5/10 and they played Vertigo twice, and ya it was cool and everything, but...mmm hmmm, I'd rather go with a different song.

ive been to the last three shows with bad ending, vertigo ending and 40 ending in philly.

vertigo was the coolest ending as larry did his drum solo after 40, you knew it was a bit long...and then bonos head pops up, and the drum beat for vertigo begins...and they launch right into it.

'twas awesome :up:

I was at Chicago 3, and I have absolutely no complaints about them playing Vertigo twice. It completely TORE THE ROOF OFF the United Center when they played it the second time. Yeah, it look bad on paper but being there firsthand is just awesome.

I'm glad they have created a song they love playing so much.

Best Crowd on 5/17

The second vertigo was a bonus. It was definitely not part of the original set. They definitely played Original of the Species at the last minute. And there has been no set yet where they played a full 40 and then Vertigo.

And the crowd was so fired up for the 2nd Vertigo.

It was a gift. Better then seeing Still Haven't Found for the 32nd time.

Back
Top Bottom