Never thought I'd say it...'Streets' has lost it's energy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
ZooTV was probably the pinnacle of Streets, in my opinion. I mean, the build from RTSS was incredible. As was Please into Streets on Popmart. And don't get me wrong opening with Streets on JT tour was pretty amazing as well. Heck, even during Elevation tour, Streets was still capable of generating energy with those red screens behind the band...still the highlight of every U2 show.

But this tour...Streets has officially lost it's energy, it's power, it's punch, if you will. It's too much of a campaign for the Africa thing (which I understand is a noble cause, don't misunderstand), but that takes away from the power of this song which to me, has always been only about the music and energy of U2.

I don't know if the Africa tie-in was the reason or not, but when I saw Streets at Seattle 2 it felt so flat. I never wanted to say this about what had been - to that point - my favorite live U2 song, but it is unfortunately exactly how I felt.

i Feel the same Zoocoustic, Where The Streets IS STILL A GOOD SONG Live, but it's the weakest version ever... ZooTv was awesome and ELEVATION Tour version really works for me... Now, it's not the best song of the tour, the songs seems a little flat but still a good song!

I sadly sadly SADLY agree with you. Seeing as this year was my first ever U2 concert, and Streets is probably my favorite song *points to avatar* I can't begin to describe how underwhelmed I was by the preformance of Streets. Now, granted, the Philly 1 show is supposedly one of the weakest Streets performances so far this tour, I was still disappointed with it. I swear I got more of a rush watching it on the Elevation: Boston DVD than I did in Philly last month. It's sad.

I will say however that The Fly totally blew me away and made me even forget Streets was even played. It was chaotic, it was visceral, it was fucking rocking and fantastic and the lights from the stage were just hypnotizing. Best performance that night. And Zoo Station almost made me piss myself with joy. :|

I also sadly agree with you. Watching Streets on the Boston DVD had more impact on me than either time I saw it live on the Vertigo tour.

I think the direct, in your face message may has something to do with it.

I think after Zoo TV, Streets lost its impact...

Popmart, Elevation and Vertigo lack the same feeling it had when it was heard in Joshua / Lovetown / Zoo...

Elevation wasn't that bad though, but it just isn't the same.

It still got me excited when I saw/heard it on the Vertigo, but do agree that it has lost some of its energy. The way I see it, the crowd is real pumped up then Bono goes into his Africa tribute speech which throws everyone in a :huh:. Bono just needs to let the flags/presentation do the talking.

For me though, Popmart is when "Streets" is ats best. The segue from Please to Streets is great then the lights blind the entire stadium. :drool:

Yeah, U2 have plenty of songs that they can use to promote social issues. Streets should just be about rockin' out at a U2 show and having a great time.

zoopop said:

For me though, Popmart is when "Streets" is ats best. The segue from Please to Streets is great then the lights blind the entire stadium. :drool:

and dont forget the extended ending :drool:

streets certainly has seen better days

i think streets has been pretty good this tour. they could have reworked it, but then again, we're seeing songs like electric co., an cat dubh, zoo station, gloria, and the fly, which have been simply unbelievable, not to mention the unforgettable version of bad.

its the best live song ever, even in its present form.

i got chills all three times at the vertigo show.

i like the pride segue, and the africa thing. it reminds me the way bono would do the spoken intros on the lovetown tour.

When I saw Seattle I, Streets didn't move and thrill me at all, and that's the first time it's ever failed to do so at a show I've attended.

I think the JT, Zoo TV, PopMart and Elevation versions (at least that I saw) were all spot-on and hair-raising.

jphelmet said:
its the best live song ever, even in its present form.

i got chills all three times at the vertigo show.

i like the pride segue, and the africa thing. it reminds me the way bono would do the spoken intros on the lovetown tour.

:up:

I actually disagree...This is far from my first show/tour and I can honestly say this is the first time I'm impressed with it overall. I've always just been sick of it, it's played every tour and every show but at madison square garden, everyone just took it in and went nuts it was great and I never thought I'd say that about streets.

I disagree. I've complained a lot about the Vertigo tour, but I have to admit it was one of the best - if not the best - performances of the song I've ever heard.

one4u2 said:
I actually disagree...This is far from my first show/tour and I can honestly say this is the first time I'm impressed with it overall. I've always just been sick of it, it's played every tour and every show but at madison square garden, everyone just took it in and went nuts it was great and I never thought I'd say that about streets.

early in the tour they seemed to be playing it too slow. they corrected that, but there was still something missing. the crowd is going to go wild no matter what when they hear the strings, whether or not the performance is any good. we can't judge the quality of the performance on the crazy crowd. as i witnessed it nj, the crazy fans from dublin only got excited for the hits. it stunned me. streets always have me chills at shows and on the bootlegs, but i find myself skipping over it now, something i thought i would never do.

Agree and disagree on this one. Saw them in Chicago and although it was not the best version I ever heard, it still gave me the chills.

By the way... people, always go for a G.A, ticket! I was fortunate to have a (seating) ticket at all, but I was really diappointed and annoyed by the people around me. Worst moment of the show: People going crazy when the first notes of COBL were played. Suddenly standing up fom their seats to realize it's NOT Streets haha. Really sad...

Well, sorry, off topic. To me Streets is still one of their best live-songs.

Bono said in an interview that Streets has no reason to be played in this tour. In other words, it doesn't fit the theme. Probably at the heeding of his advisors, they dropped it in and put the Africa flag theme to make it fit. It's still an awesome song and 99% of the crowd goes wild when it is played.

zoopop said:

I fully agree.

The best version from popmart is the Please EP version, I enjoy the extra guitar part in the middle. It was played on the radio frequently and I know that it won new fans. I remember been blown away listening to popmart streets with the please segue. Even the Elevation version was changed for the good when Bono does that long roar at the intro. Streets used to take me to another place; the vertigo version is just plain boring. Now I wished they'd dropped it from this tour. It's like having a bad sequel to a good movie.

Streets is what got me into U2, I have every right to have a winge/sook/whine about its declined power. :wink:

I also feel Streets have lost some of its power on this tour. There are exceptions - Chicago IV version rocks. Maybe in the European tour the old energy will be resurrected.
And the Popmart version was easily the best.

I saw my first show ever in Boston on Thursday and it seemed Streets was when the place was the loudest and most excited. It was just amazing.

it didnt lose any energy when bono and adam were back to back 3 feet from me!

i dont think it is "energy" anyone is talking about though, i think its as simple as the lighting and those changes.

Bono should quit with the African chant, save his breath & run around the BS and sing it from the tip with the house lights on. Streets has always been a favorite of mine but at one show I was outside buying some merch. and made no effort to run back in and see it as I heard the intro.

bigwali said:
Bono said in an interview that Streets has no reason to be played in this tour. In other words, it doesn't fit the theme. Probably at the heeding of his advisors, they dropped it in and put the Africa flag theme to make it fit. It's still an awesome song and 99% of the crowd goes wild when it is played.

I read that too...I believe in the article/interview with Greg Kot. Interesting, especially when you think of what else may have been put in it's place instead.

I still think it's amazing...to be honest, the lighting sequence seems to be upside down. I think someone from this board mentioned the same thing...basically the "big" lighting cues are now towards the end of the song instead of the beginning (i.e. flood lights, red lighting). Basically, after the midway point, it really gets going. I personally enjoyed it a lot, even if it wasn't what I would have expected out of it.

It's still great. I miss the lights at the beginning, but I'm glad they're still there near the end of the song. I know some people don't like the African tie-in, but that work is Bono's life right now. Almost as much as the band.

And also, it's the one song the band has said time and again they can count on "God walking into the room."

The Popmart version kind of weirded me out (on the Please single and the video -- I didn't see it live). The psychedelic warp-drive lights, the synthesizer playing during the bridge, etc.

It's still great and every time I hear it, I feel instantly happy and can think very clearly about my life and the decisions I need to make. I'm always inspired hearing this song.

They can't fuck it up. It's STREETS for god sakes. The energy just comes out of the fucking ground.

But during Elevation it was... it was... it was... better than sex. At least the sex I've had.

Him running around and the things rising from the stage, that was great. The heart shaped stage and him doing the heart thing with his hand and of course sept 11...

Watch the super bowl for what I feel was the ultimate performance of that song. The way they played that song for billions during the height of uncertainity was great.

So Streets hasn't lost anything, it's just (lucky for us) that we've been free from terrorism since that horrible day.

Nothing can compare to that time.

When I saw the names scroll by in LA, it was at the same time heartbreaking and life affirming. They turned that song into an anthem for peace in the world...

Again, that super bowl performance blew my mind (it didn't hurt that my team won the super bowl either).

So Streets has only been a 9 and not a 10. It's still fucking Streets and I love hearing it.

And him putting messages for Africa actually make sense since there is so much build up before he has to sing.

I mean last tour he kept saying, "how can I give back to god for the riches he bestowed on me" or something liek that... he kept saying it over and over and then they burst into the song...and he would add "love, Love, Love" at the end and make the heart.

yes it has been more meaningful, but it hasn't lost anything. I think it's the times that affect how we feel about the song.

Streets was THE SONG last time around that held everything together.

This time I don't know if there is that one song that really holds the show together. It's all great, but I do feel that the Elevation tour "played" better. I mean this tour is very much like last time so of course we compare it.

'Streets' is one of those songs that needs a smart intro; in other words, the song preceding 'Streets' has to be chosen carefully. And 'Pride' isn't a good choice...at all. I don't think the song has 'lost energy.' Boston II and III that I went to confirmed that. But when they come back in the fall, 'Streets' should be placed elsewhere in the set...or at least a different song than 'Pride' should precede it. Opening the show with 'Streets?' You could not get a crowd jacked up better than that, with the deep organ building along with those red-glowing hanging lights they've got. But then you've dispensed with one of their 'trump cards.' So I dunno. I feel sure you'll see a re-tooled show in the fall, though.

Chris in NH

Back
Top Bottom