Mothers Of The Disappeared!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
Someone was going to make a thread about this sooner or later. :wink:

Mothers Of The Disappeared was played today for the first time in just over eight years, appropriately in the same place it was last played on 11 February 1998: Santiago, Chile. This is only the twelfth ever performance of the song, following seven JT Tour and 4 Popmart performances. This particular performace was done solely by Bono and Edge, with Edge playing a traditional South American instrument called a charango (if you look it up on Wikipedia, you'll see it looks like a small guitar or ukulele).

The full set:

1. City Of Blinding Lights
2. Vertigo / She Loves You (snippet)
3. Elevation
4. Until The End Of The World
5. New Year's Day
6. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
7. Beautiful Day
8. The First Time
9. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
10. Love And Peace Or Else
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday
12. Bullet The Blue Sky / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet) / The Hands That Built America (snippet)
13. Miss Sarajevo
14. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
15. Where The Streets Have No Name
16. One

encore(s):
17. Zoo Station
18. The Fly / (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (snippet)
19. Mysterious Ways
20. With Or Without You
21. Mothers Of The Disappeared
22. Yahweh
23. All I Want Is You

(Source: http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/show1461.html)

So, the question is: will it also appear in Buenos Aires (I'm sure the answer to that is yes), and will it be the charango version, or will Edge just use an acoustic guitar, or will it be a full band version?

I must say this gives me hope for One Tree Hill in New Zealand. :combust:

And, though it's not really within the realm of possibility, it's also made me think of how much I'd like Van Diemen's Land in Melbourne. For those who don't know, Tasmania, originally known as Van Diemen's Land, is located just across Bass Strait from Melbourne. If you ask me, VDL would fit in very nicely in the position after Beautiful Day that's been taken lately by The First Time and Stuck In A Moment, or in Yahweh's position.

One Tree Hill could be performed in full OR...

A) It's done acoustic in an encore, just like tonight
B) It's a snippet after One or All I Want Is You
C) It comes before "Sometimes"

theu2fly said:
One Tree Hill could be performed in full OR...

A) It's done acoustic in an encore, just like tonight
B) It's a snippet after One or All I Want Is You
C) It comes before "Sometimes"

Yeah, that's pretty much what I think. I'm still skeptical of a full band version (though that's my greatest desire), but this gives me hope that maybe they will do at least an acoustic version.

My expectation, though, has always been that it will be a snippet after One, just like on ZooTV. My hope is that it's a full band version (complete with extended Lovetown solo) in place of ISHFWILF.

Arcadion said:
I like how it wasn't a beatles cover.

Ubeatles2 Tour, 2020:

1. Vertigo
2. She Loves You
3. Norwegian Wood
4. Beautiful Day
5. Blackbird
6. Sgt. Pepper's
7. One
8. Help
9. Helter Skelter
10. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
11. Exodus (credited by U2.com as a Beatles song)
12. Please Please Me
13. Bad
14. Ruby Tuesday (also credited by U2.com as a Beatles song)
15. Across The Universe

The "Other Stuff" Encore
16. Pride
17. Give Peace A Chance (credited by U2.com as a U2 song)
18. Where The Streets Have No Name
19. All You Need Is Love (credited by U2.com as the last song on Rattle And Hum)

20. Swedish Leaves (acoustic)
21. You Love Her
22. Vertigo

What is more interesting is they apparantly soundchecked the full band version of Mothers. Makes you wonder what is going to happen in Buenos Aires. Originally The Joshua Tree tour was to end in Buenos Aires and that is where the color footage for Rattle And Hum was going to be shot. The plan was to end the film and concert with Mothers Of The Disappeared and have it become the new 40. Obviously never happened, but it appears they plan to possibly film the Buenos Aires shows for an IMAX production now. Makes you wonder. :hmm:

Axver said:

Ubeatles2 Tour, 2020:

1. Vertigo
2. She Loves You
3. Norwegian Wood
4. Beautiful Day
5. Blackbird
6. Sgt. Pepper's
7. One
8. Help
9. Helter Skelter
10. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
11. Exodus (credited by U2.com as a Beatles song)
12. Please Please Me
13. Bad
14. Ruby Tuesday (also credited by U2.com as a Beatles song)
15. Across The Universe

The "Other Stuff" Encore
16. Pride
17. Give Peace A Chance (credited by U2.com as a U2 song)
18. Where The Streets Have No Name
19. All You Need Is Love (credited by U2.com as the last song on Rattle And Hum)

20. Swedish Leaves (acoustic)
21. You Love Her
22. Vertigo

:drool:

Well, I have to say that I am absolutely amazed by the fact that Mother's of the Disappeared has been played. There was some question of whether they would play it or not, and they have. It is a beautiful song that fits within the context of where they played (and one of my favorites.)

Due to this, I think the odds of the band playing One Tree Hill have actually gone way up. I am so excited to read the NZ setlist I can barely contain myself.

I think they will play it, the question now for me is whether it will be just the Edge and Bono or the whole band.

It would not be THAT hard for them to pull off the sequencing at the beginning, but I think it absolutely woul dbe worth it, or a re-tooling of the song.

I am simply hoping that they do not get the "Mothers of Plaza de Mayo" on stage again for Argentina... as they did in Popmart and was a true embarassment.

Axver said:
Someone was going to make a thread about this sooner or later. :wink:

Mothers Of The Disappeared was played today for the first time in just over eight years, appropriately in the same place it was last played on 11 February 1998: Santiago, Chile. This is only the twelfth ever performance of the song, following seven JT Tour and 4 Popmart performances. This particular performace was done solely by Bono and Edge, with Edge playing a traditional South American instrument called a charango (if you look it up on Wikipedia, you'll see it looks like a small guitar or ukulele).

The full set:

1. City Of Blinding Lights
2. Vertigo / She Loves You (snippet)
3. Elevation
4. Until The End Of The World
5. New Year's Day
6. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
7. Beautiful Day
8. The First Time
9. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
10. Love And Peace Or Else
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday
12. Bullet The Blue Sky / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet) / The Hands That Built America (snippet)
13. Miss Sarajevo
14. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
15. Where The Streets Have No Name
16. One

encore(s):
17. Zoo Station
18. The Fly / (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (snippet)
19. Mysterious Ways
20. With Or Without You
21. Mothers Of The Disappeared
22. Yahweh
23. All I Want Is You

(Source: http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/show1461.html)

So, the question is: will it also appear in Buenos Aires (I'm sure the answer to that is yes), and will it be the charango version, or will Edge just use an acoustic guitar, or will it be a full band version?

I must say this gives me hope for One Tree Hill in New Zealand. :combust:

And, though it's not really within the realm of possibility, it's also made me think of how much I'd like Van Diemen's Land in Melbourne. For those who don't know, Tasmania, originally known as Van Diemen's Land, is located just across Bass Strait from Melbourne. If you ask me, VDL would fit in very nicely in the position after Beautiful Day that's been taken lately by The First Time and Stuck In A Moment, or in Yahweh's position.

Axver, you are such a nerd! A complete and utter U2 nerd! It's a compliment don't worry!

Back
Top Bottom