Mix up the set lists!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

one4u2

ONE love, blood, life
I really hope this time around they mix it up a bit. What I mean is enough of the 'commercial' stuff. Streets, Pride etc.. I could dig up tons of their old stuff to replace the commercial as can most of you here I'm sure. I understand most fans especially the newer ones like it, but I wish they would play some of the old unexpected stuff for the hardcore fans. Exit, One tree, Indian summer sky etc... Well you get my point. Just my $0.02

well, it's all about pleasing ALL the fans, not only the diehards.

if i were a casual U2 fan, i wouldn't be happy if i went to the concert and they played songs like "i fall down", "wire", or "exit" instead of their big hits.

it's all about pleasing the casual fans while throwing in a gem or two for the diehards, which i felt U2 did a great job with last tour.

I think it's a matter of Bono's voice too. I may be torn to pieces for this but I'm not sure if he even can pull off With Or Without You or Pride anymore.... so One Tree Hill and such maybe asking a bit too much. Although I'd love to see them change the setlist around more often.

they have said they plan on changing the setlist some this time around. their changing the setlist will be two different setlists, with a couple of rare tunes thrown but mostly mixing up songs that have already been played. i don't expect that u2 will ever do a different setlist every night, and wouldn't count on hearing anything that hasn't ever been played before from past albums finally getting played live. based on their past record don't expect a huge amount of variety (hopefully there will be more with recent comments) but they will never do the pearl jam or bruce springsteen type show. it will still be a standard amount of songs every night. that is how they have always done it.

Mikal raises the best point. While we, the fanatics, want to hear a return of Hawkmoon 269 or would love to see Acrobat performed, the casual fan does NOT, and guess who makes up the majority of people at U2 shows! People attend U2 concerts because they want to hear their favourite hits, they want to hear the songs they hear on the radio, and these happen to be songs such as WOWY, Pride, and Mysterious Ways.

U2 have a hard job. Not only do they want to play the songs THEY enjoy playing, they also need to promote their new material, cater for the casual fan and the newcomer, provide the fanatics with the gems they want to hear, AND consider current abilities. I don't envy them. Those of you over on the New Tour Setlist forum or who read my LiveJournal will know I love designing U2 setlists - it's my passion and you'll often find me doing it. However, I adore eighties U2, and when I try to design something that will fulfill the criteria I just mentioned, I get very stuck.

Face it, even if they do rotating setlists, they will almost certainly only play singles or the non-single classics. That means Gloria might have a chance, but I Fall Down probably doesn't even enter their heads. We may see some songs return that haven't been played in 10-15 years - i.e. Running To Stand Still and When Love Comes To Town - but we probably won't see the rare gems unless there are very special circumstances (such as a concert in New Zealand, where One Tree Hill will be played).

There is this talk of rotating setlists, and I foresee two possibilities.

1. A more pronounced version of Bad/AIWIY from Elevation. One night, we could see Bad/Streets/Pride, the next Stay/ISHFWILF/AIWIY, the next Bad/ISHFWILF/Pride.

2. U2 have enough classic and new material to create a 30-40 song setlist. Split it in two, exchange some common elements (i.e. make sure both have Streets and a couple of recent big hit singles), throw in a few old gems that are occasionally rotated (i.e. I Will Follow most nights, but sometimes Out Of Control or 11 O'clock Tick Tock), and there's your multiple, alternating setlists.

I really could go on about this forever.

U2 are savvy to our needs. They will vary the setlist this time around more so than in the past. How do I know that? I don't know-----I just know that they love us and will take care of us---lol.

U2 on average are only going to play about 22 songs per night. So, lets give the new album 7 of those slots.

That leaves 15 slots for old songs. The fair solution is this. Have the band play 5 songs they want to and think are great, regardless of casual or die hard fan interest. The next 5 songs are the hits and should belong to the casual fans. Then the final 5 songs should be for the die hards.

With this format, everyone gets something they want and the album is well promoted.

U2 has ideas of doing this on almost every tour. Eventually they settle into a basic setlist they get comfortable with regardless of their initial plans. The difference this time is they are looking at possibly 2 standard setlist versus the usual 1 with a few variations on multiple nights in one city. I think it will be mixed up a bit more on this tour than normal but dont expect anything much more drastic than what has happened previously.

If you are expecting Indian Summer Sky, I Fall Down or even One Tree Hill (unless they play New Zealand this time out) you are going to be very disappointed. Streets is going to be played at every U2 "regular" show going forward. The band themselves have confirmed this. So you can forget about that one being dropped.

Blue Room said:
U2 has ideas of doing this on almost every tour. Eventually they settle into a basic setlist they get comfortable with regardless of their initial plans. The difference this time is they are looking at possibly 2 standard setlist versus the usual 1 with a few variations on multiple nights in one city. I think it will be mixed up a bit more on this tour than normal but dont expect anything much more drastic than what has happened previously.

If you are expecting Indian Summer Sky, I Fall Down or even One Tree Hill (unless they play New Zealand this time out) you are going to be very disappointed. Streets is going to be played at every U2 "regular" show going forward. The band themselves have confirmed this. So you can forget about that one being dropped.

I've been to 8 shows and I know what to expect! That's why I was hoping for change. Of course they have to appeal to everyone, don't get me wrong I love most of the commercial stuff but that's what it is 'commercial' and I like everybody else have heard it over and over again and as a fan since the 80s, I would love to have all of that replaced with older, rarer tunes. Again, just my $0.02, I never really expected it to actually happen.

While I do agree with the "casual fan" perspective, U2 concert does have 22-23 songs. It has place for so-called diehard songs and hits.You don't have to play 3 or 4 songs which have been played very rarely in the past. But, you can play 1 or 2. And the next 2 on the second night, and so... As for the hits, I wouldn't mind if Pride and Still Haven't Found would never be played again.

I think we will definitely see changes in the setlist, as the usual plan of 15 songs from the past + 7 songs from the new album won't work anymore with the inclusion of several ATYCLB songs.

Maybe not as much as to them playing obscure songs every night, but I could see something like they did on the last tour, when I still haven't found was only played on the last part of the tour. If they bring in as many surprises as Elevation, that's ok by me.

U2girl said:

Maybe not as much as to them playing obscure songs every night, but I could see something like they did on the last tour, when I still haven't found was only played on the last part of the tour. If they bring in as many surprises as Elevation, that's ok by me.

U2girl I agree 100%. Some people here complained about the last tour but by U2 standards they made an effort to mix it up somewhat and I would be fine with that if they did something similiar.

one4U2, what does your show total have to do with anything?? LOL I have been to 24 shows, does that make me more of an expert on the subject?? I dont think so. Someone that hasnt been to any U2 shows can check out the setlists that are posted online and see the handwriting on the wall. You said you thought they might break out those obscure songs and listed some of them. I'm telling you will be disappointed because the odds against anything you listed being played are very high. An obscure song in U2's mind is an old song that was a single that they haven't played for a couple of tours. The only exceptions typically to that rule were special occasions and were typically only done once or twice. I would LOVE if you were correct though and would gladly eat crow if you were. But somehow I think I'm pretty safe from that! ;)

We go through this every single tour. Wait until it actually starts. There is going to be so much bitching regardless of what U2 does either way. Sure I would love them to mix it up like Pearl Jam or other artists that change their setlist every night. But its not what U2 does and they have never done it that way. I was just pointing that out. Certainly didnt intend to offend anyone on here. You have to realize U2's crowd is about 10 to 20% max hardcore fans. The rest of the 15 to 17 thousand are there to hear the hits. U2 plays for the masses because so many come to see them play.

I agree with one4u2! I think U2 should start playing more to their diehard fans. The majority of their fan base is still the die hards. I am not saying they do not get new fans with new albums but the die hards have been with them through every album. We have heard Streets in concert 8 times now. They can choose something knew.

Blue Room said:
There is going to be so much bitching regardless of what U2 does either way.

If U2 decided to totally mix everything up, I'd love to see the bitching then ...

Lovetown's setlist variety would suit me fine, personally. I think that's when U2 really got the setlist business absolutely right. I don't think U2 will go back to that, though. Just as long as they stick with the level of variety of Elevation, there isn't too much room to complain.

one4U2, what does your show total have to do with anything?? LOL I have been to 24 shows, does that make me more of an expert on the subject?? I dont think so. Someone that hasnt been to any U2 shows can check out the setlists that are posted online and see the handwriting on the wall. You said you thought they might break out those obscure songs and listed some of them. I'm telling you will be disappointed because the odds against anything you listed being played are very high. An obscure song in U2's mind is an old song that was a single that they haven't played for a couple of tours. The only exceptions typically to that rule were special occasions and were typically only done once or twice. I would LOVE if you were correct though and would gladly eat crow if you were. But somehow I think I'm pretty safe from that! ;)
@Blue Room::

AGAIN just my $0.02!!! Yes 8 shows and counting so I DO know what to expect and that means most likely NO One Tree Hill, Exit etc.......... As for your knowledge and expertise (NOT) 24 shows should give you enough experience to know that's what they won't play!!! I NEVER wrote that I thought they would break out those old songs lol!! That was merely wishful thinking ..Clearly, you were not comprehending the reading material!! :eyebrow: Moving On...............................

Last edited:
one4u2 said:

AGAIN just my $0.02!!! Yes 8 shows and counting so I DO know what to expect and that means most likely NO One Tree Hill, Exit etc.......... As for your knowledge and expertise (NOT) 24 shows should give you enough experience to know that's what they won't play!!! I NEVER wrote that I thought they would break out those old songs lol!! That was merely wishful thinking ..Clearly, you were not comprehending the reading material!! :eyebrow: Moving On...............................

Well put.

one4u2 said:

LOL, maybe I'm not comprehending it but MAN, you seem to be getting somewhat nasty about it. Whats the deal there? I love how you belittle my point by saying "NOT" about my expertise?? YES you did list specific songs. I said those were unlikely. Somehow you seem to have found that offensive.

My 2 cents is YOU need to get a grip and accept that someone doesnt agree with everything about your point of view OR explains why it wont happen.

Axver, if U2 mixed up the setlists a ton there would still be people bitching. You would have someone that went to a show for the first time and if Streets wasnt played, they would be. It sucks they didnt play Streets. My point is there is no way U2 can make everyone happy and they wont regardless of what they do.

No YOU were the nasty one! Now you can't even comprehend what you yourself wrote! Maybe you should read it again and absorb how it came off ever so rudely!! Not everyone will agree with things, true, but I didn't post an opinion just a'comment' of how nice it would be with a surprise of some old songs gracing the set lists!:eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom