Miracle Drug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoopop

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Love this song. Was totally in :drool: when they played it in Houston, but is the song misplaced in the set. I hate seeing the crowd take a piss break or sitting down during this tune. Its a very solid song from U2 and features the Edge going wild. Could MD work in the encore???

i think miracle drug is before SYCMIOYO for a reason, and my theory is it goes, the hope before death, aka miracle drug is the hope that bono had before his father passed, and somtimes is the mourning of the passing of bono's father

jrjunior31 said:
miracle drug actually is about Aids...

No, it's about a disabled boy who went to Bono's school and went on to become a poet. I honestly forget most of the story though.

Axver said:

No, it's about a disabled boy who went to Bono's school and went on to become a poet. I honestly forget most of the story though.

That's what Im talking about...:eyebrow:

U2's new album HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB features a tribute to a childhood friend of the band who fought disability to become a genius.

New track MIRACLE DRUG honours the boy CHRISTOPHER NOLAN's mother, who refused to believe that teaching her paraplegic son was a waste of time.

Singer BONO explains, "He had been deprived of oxygen for two hours when he was born, so he was paraplegic. But his mother believed he could understand what was going on and used to teach him at home.

"Eventually, they discovered a drug that allowed him to move one muscle in his neck. So they attached this unicorn device to his forehead and he learned to type. And out of him came all these poems that he'd been storing up in his head.

"He went off to university and became a genius - all because of a mother's love and a medical breakthrough."

Mynthor said:

That's what Im talking about...:eyebrow:

You posted while I was writing my post.

Anyway, about the song in the set: I think Miracle Drug is great on the album, but live, I think it's expendable, it just doesn't seem to have what it's got on the album. Edge doesn't fully explode out of the slide solo and Bono's singing doesn't seem quite 'there' to me. I definitely wouldn't miss it if its removal meant Crumbs got a permanent place.

Axver said:

You posted while I was writing my post.

Anyway, about the song in the set: I think Miracle Drug is great on the album, but live, I think it's expendable, it just doesn't seem to have what it's got on the album. Edge doesn't fully explode out of the slide solo and Bono's singing doesn't seem quite 'there' to me. I definitely wouldn't miss it if its removal meant Crumbs got a permanent place.

Oh sorry Axver :ohmy:

my apologies, in reading an early review of "bomb" an aids cure was mentioned when the writer was discussing miracle drug... I also recall the story of the little boy which seems much more accurate...

in any case its funny you mention swapping crumbs for miracle in the set axver, i posted the same thing earlier today (I'm not sure under what heading I've been posting alot today) I also wrote as you did that it's okay on the album but would anyone really mind if in concert we just subbed it out for OOTS or CRUMBS hahaha... good call buddy...

I'd also like to chime in on the swapping (or at least occasional alternating between) Miracle Drug and Crumbs. I like it on the album, but I really doesn't do it for me live. I love the message, but it's just kind of...there for me. By the time I got to my last show at MSG, I found myself watching the lights "race" around the ellipse and Larry's kit more than listening to the song (they're actually rather hypnotic). I don't think it should necessarily be replaced, but I also don't think it NEEDS to be played every single night. I think an occasional OotS or Crumbs in there would be just dandy.

M.Drug live can indeed be swapped with another song now and then.
The thing I liked about M.Drug live is the middle part with the crowd singing along.
Better than Larry playbacking it on the first few shows of the tour.
Gets the crowd into it a bit more.
Shame Edge solo isn`t fully out there like on the album.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

Crumbs indeed can a be a good replacement.
But I prefer it see replace Pride:madspit:

I was thinking, you think Miracle Drug could work as an opener???

Pitch black, here the "Everyone", and then the intro to MD.

I do agree with you guys that MD should be rotated with OOTS and Crumbs.

I'd be happy if they never played Miracle Drug again. It's definitely the weakest of the new songs live.

KUEFC09U2 said:
am i the only one who enjoys this live :|
No, but I'm pretty much sure you're the only one that enjoys absolutely EVERYTHING that U2 does.

djerdap said:

No, but I'm pretty much sure you're the only one that enjoys absolutely EVERYTHING that U2 does.
who said i enjoy everything U2 does? just because i dont focus my time and energy on the things i dont like, dosent mean i like everything,

the things i dont like dont need my time

Love your positive thinking. It's a rarity.

djerdap said:
Love your positive thinking. It's a rarity.
the thing with me is, i dont see the point in hanging onto things you dont like, so i only ever try and think/talk about the things i do like

I think its good where it is in the setlist. really great song. i think its better live than crumbs, but crumbs was good live. i guess i dont see the hoopla surrounding crumbs.

but miracle drug is definitly kickass live. especially with the added visual effects leg 3.

miracle is tighter than crumbs since theyve played it all tour...

if they mixed crumbs in every night to where they were comfortable it would prob blow away the crowd.. edge is just tearing up lead on the album version (i havent heard it live -- and im not convinced there is even a quality recording of it out there anyway)

Back
Top Bottom