MERGED->please drop Bullet and Elevation!+already bored this tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would agree with Farluu to a point, U2 is not the Greatful Dead or Pearl Jam, I just happen to like them way more than either of those groups. They are right up there with those bands in terms of popularity, record sales, and kick ass concerts. My point was that they are in a period in their careers, from here on out that is, that they are as big as those two bands, they may not have as many albums as the Dead or Stones, but they are up there in popularity with their audiences and could play longer shows thus not leaving much out in the way of their music. If the Dead can play a 4.5 hr show ( I saw them in the 80's do this) certainly U2 can now and everyone would be that much happier. I've never ever been disappointed with any of their shows and have on many occassions dared my nay sayer friends that if U2 wasn't the best show they'd ever seen I'd pay them for their tkts. I have never had to pay anyone, (since 91) and don't anticipate doing it anytime soon. They became my fav because my other Fav, Led Zep stopped touring, stopped making records etc and I had to have a band that was gonna be here years from now and still they are. And from what I read they'll continue for many years to come. Bono was correct when he said "being in a band is much like being in the priesthood or the mafia, your in it for life" and they make records with that attitude, which my other favorite bands seem to be resting on their oldies and don't seem to want to compete for the title of best band or whatever you want to call it anymore, U2 will do this for years to come and that made them my fav, cuz lets face it, we like our bands like we like our women, we want them to be there for us for a long time, someone we can count on to make us feel good or whatever. How many bands can say this??? I bet you can't count them on 1 hand. U2 rocks, party on people!!!!

already bored this tour

will be seeing them 5/9 and have heard five of the boots already. not really thrilled with the setlist. dont get me wrong the first five or so songs are good but couldnt they drag out some of the gems every night like the unforgettable fie , God pt.2 , twilight , with a shout is probably out of bonos reach but i fall down would be good. im so sick of pride and streets and one and so on. ive seen every tour since the unforgettable fire but i am really not stoked about this one. is it just me?

It's not just you. The setlist is not as good as it could be. All of the new songs are great, but the Boy songs don't work in an arena, and many of the tunes are getting stale (Bullet the Blue Sky, RTSS). Elevation should not be played this tour. In short, the show starts off great, but really sags in the middle.

Re: already bored this tour

bray said:
will be seeing them 5/9 and have heard five of the boots already. not really thrilled with the setlist. dont get me wrong the first five or so songs are good but couldnt they drag out some of the gems every night like the unforgettable fie , God pt.2 , twilight , with a shout is probably out of bonos reach but i fall down would be good. im so sick of pride and streets and one and so on. ive seen every tour since the unforgettable fire but i am really not stoked about this one. is it just me?

You wanna give me your ticket?

Be honest. The Vertigo tour is not as good as Elevation was. In fact, it's a re-hash of the Elevation tour. There's something missing - you can feel it. I realize the band had a lot of hurdles to jump over in order to get the tour happening, and it's admirable that they tried, but it's so obvious that everything was thrown together at the last minute. In my opinion, the band would've been better off going back to the studio again, putting out another album, and THEN tour again.

With every song, there are people who will hate it, be bored by it, etc... With every album, with every tour, with every word, blah, blah, blah. I am not bored by the band. Never have been. Maybe it's just the way I am. I find the uniqueness in everything they do and love it all. The "boring tour, album" complaints are actually getting really old. I actually find it funny that people are calling songs that haven't been played for the past two tours stale. If you are bored by the tour, then please sell your tickets. There are plenty of people that love what the band is doing and would gladly take your ticket.

The sets pretty much suck. Big time.

And tonite saw them drop Electric Co. AND Gloria, pretty much the highlight of the tour.

Elevation had a standard set, and it was 10X better than the Vertigo Tour standard.

Hershey1 said:
With every song, there are people who will hate it, be bored by it, etc... With every album, with every tour, with every word, blah, blah, blah. I am not bored by the band. Never have been. Maybe it's just the way I am. I find the uniqueness in everything they do and love it all. The "boring tour, album" complaints are actually getting really old. I actually find it funny that people are calling songs that haven't been played for the past two tours stale. If you are bored by the tour, then please sell your tickets. There are plenty of people that love what the band is doing and would gladly take your ticket.

I think the problem is that the show is too reminiscent of the Elevation tour. At the concert, you feel as though you've seen it before - only it's less exciting because it's no longer "new." Also, the setlist is not as good as it could be. There is no getting around this fact. The set is VERY weak in the middle of the show. The sequencing just doesn't work, and the band loses the audience for a while. Of course, being U2, they pull it back together at the end, but it still just ain't right.

id like to add that the internet is in some way connected . back in the early days every song was a surprise , nowadays you know every song, every snippet, all that shit. they are still the best band to see but all the mystery is gone.

bray said:
id like to add that the internet is in some way connected . back in the early days every song was a surprise , nowadays you know every song, every snippet, all that shit. they are still the best band to see but all the mystery is gone.

I think you're right about the internet. It takes away any element of surprise - that's not the band's fault.

starvinmarvin said:

I think the problem is that the show is too reminiscent of the Elevation tour. At the concert, you feel as though you've seen it before - only it's less exciting because it's no longer "new."

I agree with this

:rolleyes: to you too.

This tired nonsense has been repeated ad nauseum.

This cycle of tired nonsense repeated ad nauseum is a sad reflection on the board.

starvinmarvin said:
Be honest. The Vertigo tour is not as good as Elevation was. In fact, it's a re-hash of the Elevation tour. There's something missing - you can feel it. I realize the band had a lot of hurdles to jump over in order to get the tour happening, and it's admirable that they tried, but it's so obvious that everything was thrown together at the last minute. In my opinion, the band would've been better off going back to the studio again, putting out another album, and THEN tour again.

Just got back from the Chicago I show.

Significantly better than Elevation and I saw all the Chicago shows in 2001. The crowd was much more into it then in 01 as well.

An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart WORKS Extremely well in an arena.

Axver said:
This cycle of tired nonsense repeated ad nauseum is a sad reflection on the board.

You just described the whole board:

"What's Your Favorite Album?"
"What's Your Favorite Song?"
"Look at my new U2 mix"
"What's the worst U2 song?"
"The set rules"
"The set sucks"
"U2 are sell outs"
"U2 are not sell outs"

Why is it so hard for some U2 fans to admit that everything the band touches does not turn to gold. Geez, I love the band too - probably more than almost anyone I know - but some U2 fans are just ridiculous. If U2 released a recording of Bono taking a crap many U2 fans would proclaim it "the best one yet." It is not wrong to hold the band to high standards, and to admit that MAYBE, JUST MAYBE THIS TOUR ISN'T AS GOOD AS THE LAST ONE. THIS ISN'T TO SAY THAT IT SUCKS BY ANY MEANS - IT SIMPLY MEANS THAT THE BAND NEEDS TO MAKE SOME ADJUSTMENTS.

All they really need to do is rotate out some of the old tired songs once in awhile. Stop playing Pride for a few shows, rotate old favorites like Unforgettable Fire and In God's Country back in, and basically have a revolving setlist. The only stuff they really need to play at EVERY show is the new Vertigo materal. They have a sufficient back catalogue of classic material that they should be able to please themselves as well as most fans if they start rotating it out more often. As a matter of fact, listening to most of the older songs on the bootlegs it would seem they're getting really tired of playing the same old songs night after night.

we waited close to 5 years for this tour and they should scratch off some of their over played songs . i think the best idea would be to add 45 minutes of show and in the middle of the concert just bring up the house lights and play some early stuff . it is a pretty show for the cabbage they charge. who is making all this money? i doubt its the band since bonos always bringing up world poverty. i heard him talking that kids are dying every day because they cant get shot that cost like 25 cents . i think if they cared that much they could buy 2 shots out of every ticket and theyd have like millions of immunized kids and he could focus on the music

starvinmarvin said:

Sorry I must strongly disagree with that. I literally JUST got back from the first Chicago show. Before I saw this show, I also thought that this tour was an Elevation re-hash. But it isn't. The lighting on this is probably the best i've ever seen. They're using a lot more technology on this tour than they used before. And the Zoo TV part with Zoo Station, The Fly, and Mysterious Ways really takes you back to the glory days. The whole band just seem a lot more energetic. I really don't know how you could ever get bored of this tour......3 more Chicago shows for me!!!

U2 have played 16 songs on every night of the tour
40 was dropped once
Mysterious Ways=all but two shows
Yahweh-Zoo Station=all but three shows

folks, that is 19 out of 23 that have been in the set very regularly

IT IS NOT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR SOME MORE VARIANCE.

bray said:
we waited close to 5 years for this tour and they should scratch off some of their over played songs . i think the best idea would be to add 45 minutes of show and in the middle of the concert just bring up the house lights and play some early stuff . it is a pretty show for the cabbage they charge. who is making all this money? i doubt its the band since bonos always bringing up world poverty. i heard him talking that kids are dying every day because they cant get shot that cost like 25 cents . i think if they cared that much they could buy 2 shots out of every ticket and theyd have like millions of immunized kids and he could focus on the music

It's foolish to think that some of that ticket price doesn't go directly to that fund.

The band isn't going to advertize it as such, because it's a bit self serving and I suppose they can take unwarranted criticism over being viewed as self-righteous do-gooders saying "see!!, see!!! how much we gave!!!!" A lot of people don't disclose what they give to charity.

At any rate the whole idea of his "cause", is for the government to help, because short of Bill Gates, the average person isn't going to make a dent. The idea is billions, not millions. Resent how much money they are making on the tour? Don't contribute to the cashflow. Maybe you are helping this African cause, maybe you aren't.

Maybe you shouldn't worry about it. I don't. If I give my money to a rich guy preaching about poverty and the rich guy gets richer without giving some of his own money, then he is a hypocrite and I'm just a dumbass. I give them more credit than that, do you?

All that said, it is a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a concert ticket, but nobody is forced to spend anything.

How many of you guys are basing your opinions entirely off of boots?

Because the show was awesome. :drool:

An Cat Dubh positively rocked tonight, and I was surprised! I was looking forward to Electric Co. or Gloria, but I didn't really care that they were missing. Bad is fucking amazing. Zoo Station/The Fly/Mysterious Ways is 1000x better when you're seeing it and not sitting at home with your headphones listening to it. Hell, I even liked Elevation. :reject:

Before you go and start bloody bitching about a U2 concert this tour and how your worthless ass is bored with them you need to shut the fuck up and go see them once .. I was at the Show tonight ..5/7 in chicago and it was bloody brilliant .. the best u2 live show i have seen in the last 20 years

Love and Peace OR ELSE MOFO

U2One said:

Sorry I must strongly disagree with that. I literally JUST got back from the first Chicago show. Before I saw this show, I also thought that this tour was an Elevation re-hash. But it isn't. The lighting on this is probably the best i've ever seen. They're using a lot more technology on this tour than they used before. And the Zoo TV part with Zoo Station, The Fly, and Mysterious Ways really takes you back to the glory days. The whole band just seem a lot more energetic. I really don't know how you could ever get bored of this tour......3 more Chicago shows for me!!!

I am in line 100% with every single thought and fact presented in this post.

You can't judge the ellipse until you've seen it in action. :drool:

I'm sure the show I'll see in December will be fantastic, but I do agree that mixing it up would be an excellent idea. I think it'd be great for the band AND for the fans. With over 25 years of material, they should play a much more varied set. They owe to us-- and to themselves to do this. Other bands do this, and I dont see why U2 can't. Kinda makes them look lazy.

Back
Top Bottom