MERGED --> Major spoiler alert - opening night setlist preview from @U2 blog.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And I just thought of something else....

In relation to the Brooklyn concert, how come Electric Co. is there but I Will Follow isn't?
I'm beginning to think that this setlist isn't entirely precise.

God Part III said:
And I just thought of something else....

In relation to the Brooklyn concert, how come Electric Co. is there but I Will Follow isn't?
I'm beginning to think that this setlist isn't entirely precise.

Nah, the setlist going around is just what they recently rehearsed.........we all know the shows will open with Vertigo, for example.......that set list on @u2 is probably what was rehearsed and not the actual planned setlist.

phommel said:

I totally agree!!! This is what I want, no greatest hits setlist. This is going to rock!!!! I will not whine about Elevation and Stuck in a Moment....But if they change those two to Bullet and UTEOTW, would be great, haha! But I won´t whine...this is going to be a great great tour......

Yeah, I would like Bullet and UTEOTW instead, but I'm not complaining - The Electric Co. and An Cat Dubh is simply droolworthy :drool:

If even half of those older songs I listed are played, this is going to be one hell of a tour!

korczykp said:
the only gripe i have is Stuck.. otherwise, pretty solid..

I'd like to see bullet in there though..

I wouldnt worry. If this IS the opening night set - I cant see them going the whole tour with no Bullet / UTEOTW / New Years Day / I Will Follow....and even OOTS.

There's gonna be some major rotation on this tour. And i'm all for it!!!:drool:

:wink:

God Part III said:

Really, it's a great setlist, but I don't want to lose my favourite song to An Cath Dubh. I mean that's just crazy. Until The End Of The World....:uhoh:

UTEOTW has been played at every show since 1992. An Cat Dubh hasn't been played since 1984.

Thus, give me An Cat Dubh one night and UTEOTW the next!

BigMacPhisto said:

Nah, the setlist going around is just what they recently rehearsed.........we all know the shows will open with Vertigo, for example.......that set list on @u2 is probably what was rehearsed and not the actual planned setlist.

We know it will open with Vertigo? That's just too predictable for U2, I think. Elevation opening with Elevation and then Vertigo opening with Vertigo? I hope it's not so. And Blue Room seems confident about this COBL thing ... I want to know what Blue Room knows and isn't telling us! :wink:

And before people start believing that it's 'just a rehearsal' and 'not indicative', this quote from the atu2.com blog is very interesting:

Please stop reading here if you don't want an educated preview/prediction of the setlist U2 is preparing for the kickoff of the Vertigo Tour next week in San Diego.

This is the current "word on the street" (as we've heard it from our folks in L.A.) regarding the expected setlist U2 will be playing.

One has to wonder how reliable their folks are.

I'm sorry, but that setlist just doesn't have enough concert staples for it to be believable......just a rehearsal list, in my opinion........the band will want to blow people away with the opener, so why not use "Vertigo"?

I think tonight's set in LA will give us a stronger indicator of what's to come.

Last edited:
Axver said:

UTEOTW has been played at every show since 1992. An Cat Dubh hasn't been played since 1984.

Thus, give me An Cat Dubh one night and UTEOTW the next!

But I've never seen it live! Young fan, I'm 16 and this is my first chance of seeing them live. Even though it's a great idea bringing up old songs An Cat Dubh isn't really a good song to me... Oh well. I am attending two concerts, so I can only hope they play it on one of the two.

BigMacPhisto said:
I'm sorry, but that setlist just doesn't have enough concert staples for it to be believable......just a rehearsal list, in my opinion........the band will want to blow people away with the opener, so why not use "Vertigo"?

COBL is epic. Streets on the JT Tour was the greatest ever opener in my opinion, and COBL would perfectly follow in its footsteps.

I think tonight's set in LA will give us a stronger indicator of what's to come.

I can only hope that it is similar to this list. Boy rarities ... :drool:

God Part III said:

But I've never seen it live! Young fan, I'm 16 and this is my first chance of seeing them live. Even though it's a great idea bringing up old songs An Cat Dubh isn't really a good song to me... Oh well. I am attending two concerts, so I can only hope they play it on one of the two.

And I'm 18; I've never seen UTEOTW live either and would love to. Though I'd prefer An Cat Dubh, being the setlist nut I am. :wink:

I think UTEOTW will get good concert time this tour, though. I was a little worried when there were no rumours of it at all, but then they pulled it out at the RARHOF. I'm more than confident it will be played most nights.

Taken into consideration what a selist nut you are, I find your post reassuring, relaxing even. Let's just say I hope you're right.

I can't wait for Electric Co. though!

As a rule, the band play songs at promotional and other such appearances that they will play on tour. Plus, UTEOTW sounded really good. Don't start worrying just yet. Let's wait and see how the first few shows go.

Electric Co.! :drool:

As another young fan who will be seeing U2 for the first time, I have to agree with God Part III........I've never seen them live, so I'd rather see my favorite songs than "An Cat Dubh" (which is a track I've never been too fond of)........."Out of Control" "A Day Without Me" "Stories For Boys".......lots of better material off that album that isn't played much.....

For once i agree

Electric co. :drool:

Play the old songs U2,, Atleast a few oldies that haven´t been played for years. This tour looks like its gonna be one hell of a beast.. I can´t wait for the bootlegs :drool:

The idea that they have rehearsed more songs to allow for more flexibility in the setlists makes it IMPOSSIBLE for there to be any sure thing first night setlist. That's asinine. If they have that many songs ready, then can play whatever the fuck they want, and decide the day of the show what they're gonna go with.

I'd like to think the band and their lighting/stage show people are professional and intelligent enough to adapt to those kind of changes.

I'll say it again, they will NOT have 3 Boy songs after the opener, which I'm still not sold on as being COBL. If anyone wants to make a wager bring it on, because I'm low on cash.

I stand corrected about the number of new songs in that rumored setlist. But if Bono wants OOTS to be the huge single he was talking about, the band needs to get their shit together and learn how to play the damned thing. Here's a hint, boys: Edge on electric guitar. Either lose the piano, or he does double duty. I also don't see what's so hard about Crumbs, either. They seemed to be playing it fine on the special edition DVD.

I'll go out on a limb here and say at least 5 songs on that setlist will be switched out for something else. They may be treating us to Electric Co. OR ACD/Into the Heart OR Gloria, but all 3? Dream on.

laz

Axver said:
As a rule, the band play songs at promotional and other such appearances that they will play on tour. Plus, UTEOTW sounded really good. Don't start worrying just yet. Let's wait and see how the first few shows go.

Electric Co.! :drool:

You are right about the promotional stuff, but wrong about OOTS. They don´t seem to pull it off...

I really am amazed at some of the comments I've read here and elsewhere about this proposed set list. Let's face it, the list will change. Even if the first show has a similar setlist, by the 2nd or third leg some of these songs will be fazed out.
Some people's comments have made it seem as if they wouldn't be happy with anything other than a setlist that the guys have already played on previous tours, maybe with a few of the new songs thrown in. I think we all know that's not gonna happen.
As for them not playing songs that people think are "standards", well, that's not unusual for them. They stopped playing New Year's Day and Sunday Bloody Sunday (or anything from before Unforgettable Fire) for the first part of ZooTv and while it was shocking to see a show without those songs (people bitched and moaned back then, too), the overall show itself more than made up for it. Heck, they even left Pride out of a few Elevation shows and I really don't think the crowd missed it that much.

I think my point is these guys have been doing this for 25 years now and they kinda know how to put on a good rock n' roll show so I think we should sit back and see where they take us. And we should also remember that even if they don't play our most favorite song ever, the show will still kick major ass. That, my friends, is a given.

Spoiler Alert-->JOKE

Seriously the fact that one has to preface a setlist with "Spoiler Alert" is a complete joke. I mean come on, I can't believe and self-respecting band these days would play the same setlist over and over. To me that's pretty lame -- makes me wonder how "live" the show even is.

If U2 was truly about the music they would push their talent and rip it up night to night.

Finally, that setlist is a joke. An Cat Dubh....right... :(

Zooropa->
City Blinding Light
A Day without Me
All Because of You
In God's Country
Sometimes-> The OC Theme Song
Gone
Kite
Original of the Species->
Wild Honey
Miracle Drug
Lemon
Surrender
11Clock Tick Tock
Bad
Stay
Love Peace Else
Who Wild Horses
Playboy Mansion
One
A Celebration
Please
Exit
Until the End of the World
Walk On

*We really dont need to here Beautiful Day, Elevation, Vertigo, Sunday Bloody Sunday ever again. :) It's all over TV, Radio and our RingTones.

lazarus said:
But if Bono wants OOTS to be the huge single he was talking about, the band needs to get their shit together and learn how to play the damned thing. Here's a hint, boys: Edge on electric guitar. Either lose the piano, or he does double duty. I also don't see what's so hard about Crumbs, either.

Maybe they can bring that out that little man who sits under the stage and plays all the stuff they can't. He was on ZooTV tour. That was pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom