MERGED --> Major spoiler alert - opening night setlist preview from @U2 blog.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: oooh

bigloader said:
City of Blinding Lights
The Electric Co.
An Cat dubh
Into The Heart
Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love and Peace Or Else
Elevation
Stuck In a Moment...
Yahweh
Gloria
One
Where the Streets Have No Name
Running to Stand Still
Zoo Station
The Fly
Vertigo
All Because of You
Sunday Bloody Sunday

God I hope not! I'm not interested in hearing The Electric Co., In cat dubh, into the heart,elevation, or Gloria. I would be majorly disappointed. i agree that it shouldn't be simply a greatest hits/singles concert, but these songs seriously bite it. I would love to hear Running to stand still and zoo station though. I'd be willing to put any amount of money that this will NOT be the opening setlist.

I just took two vicatin and chased it with drano and bleach after reading this post.....

madness rules the world....

You know you want to hear Let's Go Native off of Passengers. That is such a great track. That one and all the rest! I'd like to hear Elvis Ate America. Now that would knock me out.

Based on comments about it being 25 years for the band, induction into the R&R Hall of Fame and how this is their first album and they feel like they are just getting started, whew, I think that the setlist whatever it is will encompass their whole career like no tour before. Almost like a mix cd people have posted threads about to introduce people to U2.

Regardless, it should be an amazing experience for us.

How tall would Bono stand if you stacked all the heels he has worn throughout his career into one single pair of shoes? I am figuring he would be about 12'7". I may be a little off though. Any hoot. I am looking forward to the Black Cat if they end up doing it.

My prediction is a Vertigo/All Because of You opener... IMHO there is no way that after the iPod commercial and naming the tour 'Vertigo' will the show not open with Vertigo with ABOY to follow. Vertigo's "Uno, Dos, Trece, Catorce" will be the equivalent to Elevations Woo Hoo's. Playing Vertigo first makes the statement that this is the Vertigo Tour, something new, where we're at now, and they will certainly play the oldies that they've been rehearsing but they will be incorporated later into the show. And Vertigo just doesn't make much sense anywhere later in the setlist, after all, the first lyrics say 'Hello Hello'. Again, just my point of view, it will be interesting any way it shakes out.

And yes, Fast Cars would be great, that's turning into one of my favorite songs. Love the atomic bomb reference too...

Last edited:
If they play Electric Co., An Cat Dubh, Gloria, SBS, and 40, I will wet my pants in glee. As much as I love the new album and ATYCLB, and think that Achtung Baby was among their best work, if they played nothing but songs from Boy, October and War, I would be thrilled.

They arent going to play the same set every night we will get a better idea tomorrow night at the rehersal surely!

Why all those obscure songs from boy and no I Will Follow or Out Of Control? I don't believe it for a second.

The elevation - stuck - yahweh triplicate would be a good bathroom break that's for sure.

As for the rest, I can't really complain. I mean, Zoo Station.

bnu2ts said:
Theyre NOT starting with City..... its the Vertigo TOUR.... HELLO! HELLO!

Maybe not every show. Not sure why everyone thinks Vertigo is the for sure opener. I remember people saying the same thing about Discotheque prior to Popmart. :shrug: Just because Elevation was for the last tour doesnt mean the same will be true this time.

Vertigo is so obvious, I think thats why it wont open every single show. They are mixing it up, somewhat at least, this time out.

Actually COBL would be a good opener, but I thought about it as a closer also, I think it would have worked well there as well.

I dont know what people dont believe about this list, that it was rehearsed or that it wont be played on the tour? This exact list may not turn up on the tour, but something similiar probebly will.

Last edited:
Elevation didn't open every show in the Elevation tour... wasn't there at least a few shows with Beautiful Day at the start?

nope, this won't be the setlist.

good try though, as it is interesting.

but no way do they play that many old songs...so close to the beginning of the show at that.

This is entirely believable and awesome at the same time:drool: :drool: :drool:

Even though they're not opening with a Boy song, I think I called the whole dense "Boy classics" thing.

This tour looks to be very mixed, and I can't wait!

The staleness of set lists has been a big complaint of a lot of U2 concert going fans recently. And maybe, just maybe, U2 is finally coming out of its shell and will mix things up for this tour. Some different old songs besides the hits...

I feel that the Vertigo Tour will be the first time--certainly in recent memory--where the set list will vary gig to gig.

Well... a man can dream, no?

Zoo Station...

I refuse to get my hopes up. But I badly badly badly badly want this to happen, until i see it posted on Monday Night/Tuesday Night tho I will not be satisfied.

The set list looks fine, although I would probably drop ONE of the Boy songs at the start for a song from UF/Zoo or Pop. Thats my only thought.

People, let's have some sense here. This was a rehearsal. They are probably going to use crowd reaction to determine how they will tweak it before the first show.

And I'm only seeing 6 songs from the new album. That's way down from the 9 they were talking about before. Usually they at least start with more until they have trouble playing certain songs (Wild Horses, DYFL).

There's also no way that Electric Co. and ACD/Into the Heart are in the 2-3-4 slots. I will publicly eat humble pie if that happens. Maybe things will get crazy somewhere down the line, but look at who we're talking about here.

They've also rehearsed A LOT of other songs. We've heard that Lemon, Gone, SATS, ISHFWILF, Bad, Crumbs, OOTS, and others have been played. Don't think that this setlist from tonight is set in stone.

laz

lazarus said:
And I'm only seeing 6 songs from the new album. That's way down from the 9 they were talking about before. Usually they at least start with more until they have trouble playing certain songs (Wild Horses, DYFL).

Not true. Although eight new songs were played on the opening night of Elevation, only six were from ATYCLB.

By the way, there are seven new songs in this set. COBL, Miracle Drug, SYCMIOYO, LAPOE, Yahweh, Vertigo, ABOY.

Edit: must correct myself, you said 'usually', which is true, U2 do tend to start with a larger number of new songs. Elevation was an exception, and I can see this tour being one too, considering the huge volume of work U2 must select songs from.

lazarus said:

There's also no way that Electric Co. and ACD/Into the Heart are in the 2-3-4 slots. I will publicly eat humble pie if that happens. Maybe things will get crazy somewhere down the line, but look at who we're talking about here.

They've also rehearsed A LOT of other songs. We've heard that Lemon, Gone, SATS, ISHFWILF, Bad, Crumbs, OOTS, and others have been played. Don't think that this setlist from tonight is set in stone.

laz

Actually its 7 songs from the new album that are on this list which is more realistic. The other songs you say they rehearsed were complete rumors from Mexico. Crumbs and Original were not done at all in Vancouver and so far have not been reported from LA either. I dont think they are going to be played anytime soon.

I do agree that its a rehearsal so it will not be exactly like this setlist regardless. Like I have said numerous times, I dont think there is going to be one basic setlist this time out.

I hope this setlist is close to the real one, but unless U2 posted the first setlist on their website, then its impossible for me to trust this. This is just another report from a fan,,,,

But they should definitely play this setlist :wink:

We will see after the first concert

City of Blinding Lights - Great
The Electric Co.- well, ok
An Cat dubh - don't like the song
Into The Heart - great
Beautiful Day - bloody awesome
Miracle Drug - good
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - ok
Love and Peace Or Else - I'd rather see it swapped
Elevation - I love this
Stuck In a Moment... - maybe...
Yahweh - ok
Gloria - rock on
One - great
Where the Streets Have No Name - no choice
Running to Stand Still - AWESOME
Zoo Station- AWESOME
The Fly - High point of the show
Vertigo - GREAT
All Because of You - not that excited
Sunday Bloody Sunday - Rock on
40 - singalong

BUT!
Where's Until The End Of The World
:sad:

Axver said:
Bloody hell.

U2 have some of the whiniest, hardest to satisfy fans ever.

You guys whined about not wanting greatest hits, you guys demanded older songs? Well that's what this is, and yet people are still whining and I won't be surprised if it continues as this thread grows.

:sigh:

Really, it's a great setlist, but I don't want to lose my favourite song to An Cath Dubh. I mean that's just crazy. Until The End Of The World....:uhoh:

Axver said:
Zoo Station! 12 years!

Running To Stand Still! 12 years!

40! It has been, with one exception, 15 years since a full band version!

Gloria! 15 years too!

The Electric Co.!! 18 years!

AN CAT DUBH --> INTO THE HEART!!! TWENTY-ONE LONG YEARS!

You want a setlist? YOU GOT A SETLIST!

And if I hear anyone whining about Elevation and Stuck In A Moment, just shut up and look at what U2 are treating you to!

I totally agree!!! This is what I want, no greatest hits setlist. This is going to rock!!!! I will not whine about Elevation and Stuck in a Moment....But if they change those two to Bullet and UTEOTW, would be great, haha! But I won´t whine...this is going to be a great great tour......

Back
Top Bottom