MERGED --> Major spoiler alert - opening night setlist preview from @U2 blog.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KUEFC09U2 said:
wow suprises me how much some people actually moan, U2 are simply never going to be able to win, i think that much is known, to be i like the set list, a great mix of old and new, but hey some people wont like it, so i guess they will have to change it just so the ones that dont like it can be happy, and then when they change the ones that do like it will be unhappy, so they will change it back again (sarcasm)
:laugh: I don't think anyone is ever really unhappy with the setlist. It's just U2 has an enormous collection of quality songs. Somthing most bands can't even fathom. Most everyone will always have songs they wish were played but in the end I doubt anyone is ever actually upset. I hear ya though abut the constant "bitching". I'm guilty.

this is the kind of setlist I guessed in terms of length.

There are 19 songs here, 21 if you include "Into the Heart," which is basically an outro to "An Cat Dubh," and 40. I think 20-21 will be the standard for the tour.

bazza said:
OK here is mine - am sure most of you will agree of these modifications:

Okay.

City of Blinding Lights
CRUMBS FROM YOUR TABLE
The Electric Co.
Into the Heart
Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love and Peace or Else
Elevation
MAN AND A WOMAN
Yahweh
Gloria
One
Where the Streets Have No Name
Running to Stand Still
Zoo Station
The Fly
Vertigo
All Because of You
Sunday Bloody Sunday
ONE STEP CLOSER

Nah, City into Electric Co is amazing. I think those of you expecting One Step Closer are going to be very disappointed. I think there has been some misinformation about that one even being rehearsed.

Anyway, I would take Original Of The Species over One Step Closer or Man And Woman in a heartbeat.

Basically though, I just wanted some different old songs this time out and if they do this type of a setlist on the tour I'm going to be extremely happy.

U2Girl1978 said:
This setlist is the worst setlist ever. If this is what they are playing I am seriously disappointed.
What? How could you be? It's an amazing list. I don't think they can put together a bad list. I'm lost as to how you could be "seriously" disapointed. You must be high on sarcasm. No?

Hallucination said:

What? How could you be? It's an amazing list. I don't think they can put together a bad list. I'm lost as to how you could be "seriously" disapointed. You must be high on sarcasm. No?

I should have included my sarcasm sign. I just jumped on the bandwagon of complaints because that's what everyone is doing!

:lol: ;)

Quick everyone let's do 1000 jumping jacks.. :wink:

It is a good set list...But where is UTEOTW, WOWY, New Years Day? This is my first time seeing them!

The Boy tunes don't surprise me(and excite me). This year is the 25th anny of the Boy album. I do believe UTEOTW will be in there every night(I hope!). Maybe they know that song so well, rehearsal isn't necessary. It sounded very crisp at the R & R Hall of Fame induction.

What we have here is clash of new and old fans. How anyone can see Gloria and Electric Co. in that list and not drool is beyond me. Go listen to UABRS. Amazing. Now realise the band is 10x better now than they were in 83. Imagine that band playing Gloria and Electric Co. They're going to kick like 11 O'Clock and Out Of Control did on the last tour.

Re: Major spoiler alert - opening night setlist preview from @U2 blog.

Axver said:
This is a direct copy from the most recent entry in the atu2.com blog and not only is it a major spoiler, it is MAJORLY EXCITING.

Read on if you don't mind spoilage! ENJOY!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

SPOILER: Setlist preview/prediction
Please stop reading here if you don't want an educated preview/prediction of the setlist U2 is preparing for the kickoff of the Vertigo Tour next week in San Diego.

This is the current "word on the street" (as we've heard it from our folks in L.A.) regarding the expected setlist U2 will be playing. As always, things can change before showtime.

(spoiler alert - last chance to leave)

Okay.

City of Blinding Lights
The Electric Co.
An Cat dubh
Into The Heart
Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love and Peace Or Else
Elevation
Stuck In a Moment...
Yahweh
Gloria
One
Where the Streets Have No Name
Running to Stand Still
Zoo Station
The Fly
Vertigo
All Because of You
Sunday Bloody Sunday

I would be very pleased if u2 played this setlist. It has songs from all their different eras but isn't a 'greatest hits' setlist....

Electric Co is one of u2's greatest live songs in their catalog, in my humble opinion.

I agree with u2girl, would like to see UTEOTW and WOWY, but this list is good.

One
Streets
Running to Stand Still
Zoo Station
The Fly

what a run of amazing songs, maybe RTSS will be like ZOO TV and the "hallelujahs" could close the main set :wink:

Then Zoo Station starts the first encore. The rumours were they have a video thing introducing it, so it would be perfect.

Last edited:
That set list is amazing!! An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart?? Running to Stand Still?? 40?? Wow. :drool:

I can see them changing it up quite a bit on this tour. Especially with multiple shows in so many cities.

My personal wish list includes Ultra Violet. I've seen that on several set lists. *crosses fingers*

RademR said:
Electric Co is one of u2's greatest live songs in their catalog

, maybe RTSS will be like ZOO TV and the "hallelujahs" could close the main set :wink:

I agree wholeheartedly about Electric Co. Its probebly my favorite early U2 song. I have been hoping for it since Popmart.

The rumor on Running is that its being done like the original Joshua Tree tour version.

Ifeelnumb84 said:
Any idea if "The Cry" will lead into Electric Co? Has Electric Co ever been played live without it?

I doubt The Cry part will be there, you never know though. The last tour they did Electric Co on (Joshua Tree) they just launched into the song without The Cry. That would be my guess if it gets played this time.

Originally posted by RademR what a run of amazing songs, maybe RTSS will be like ZOO TV and the "hallelujahs" could close the main set :wink:

Oh man! I'm a bit behind and have never really seen much footage from the Zoo Tv tour but I just bought the Classic Albums: Joshua Tree dvd the other day and the RTSS performance at the end was mind blowing. Even my brother who is not a U2 fan in the least bit thought it was staggering.

Ifeelnumb84 said:
Any idea if "The Cry" will lead into Electric Co? Has Electric Co ever been played live without it?

Back in the REALLY early days (i.e. 14 October 1980), The Electric Co. was played without The Cry, and again on the JT Tour. Usually, it had The Cry, though.

so what are the facts? was this setlist actually rehearsed today? or is this the setlist that will supposedly be played on opening night?

:drool:

Electric Co. with the Cry and updated similarly to how Out of Control was updated for Elevation..

:drool:

I know that'd give be insane goosebumps if I was at the show and they went into the Cry intro... :drool:

mikal said:
so what are the facts? was this setlist actually rehearsed today? or is this the setlist that will supposedly be played on opening night?

All we know is what's in the original post. There's nothing more on @U2.com.

I can't beleive AN CAT DUBH/INTO THE HEART...WOW!!!
Not to rain on everyone's parade but I was REALLY hoping for The Unforgettable Fire and Bad. Fuck Elevation.

HOLY SHIT

an cat dubh... :combust:

I love Elevation, so happy that's in (sorry Harry!) but disappointed that Bad isn't there.

Wow, this is exciting.

I'm very impressed about The Electric Co., An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart. Wow. My biggest critique is Elevation - why why why. The band has SO MANY better songs that are missing - logical songs for this tour...such as Out Of Control, Bad, Bullet The Blue Sky, Gone, Lemon, The Unforgettable Fire, New Years Day, Love Is Blindness and the list goes on and on. However I am really glad there is no I Will Follow - it seems that instead they've chosen more rare early material and for this I'm extremeley grateful. I'm also quite excited about Gloria, Running To Stand Still and 40. Can't wait to see if this setlist is true...tick tick tick.

With all these songs listed here that have never been played live for a very long time, there is a lot of room for reinvention. Like the Fly on the Elevation Tour, there could be some really cool remake happening on this tour.

With the most common comment made by Bono regarding the Bomb being "this is our first album," maybe the boys really want to include the actual first album more on this tour. Very fitting I think.

Of all the setlists that I have seen, it is very promising to see Running to Stand Still make pretty much all of them. :up:

Also, having 7 songs from a 20 song setlist represent the Bomb is excellent.

Back
Top Bottom