MERGED->A bunch of threads about Vertigo being played twice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
vertigo

I must admit before the gig I was no looking forward to hearing it twice, but as 90% of the crowd were not expecting it , the powerful reaction it got and they way it was delivered by the band I was won over.

Gloria would have been better though !!!!!!

Are you fucking serious? Do we really need another "Vertigo played twice, blah blah blah.." thread? What's this now, the fifth one this week?

I saw them do it twice for the first show of continental. It was incredible the second time. Definately a great way to end the show.

zwervers2 said:

wow...That's a tiny bit narrowminded. Just because someone is blinded by pure adoration and enthousiasme and doens't give a damn what is played because of that during a concert doens't mean his or her opinion doensn't count...:scratch:

Well if you've got tickets to a show you can just leave early and beat the rush.

ricj said:
check out the songs 'Evil' and 'NYC' -Fookin awesome!!

I am quite gutted about the setlist not changing -really wanted to hear Ultraviolet and Dirty Day -thought theyd fit in pretty well on this tour....

ah well -guess i'l just have to put up with the regular setlist.. :wink:

I like Not Even Jail. But have just read that support will be Idlewild and...Ash! Who knows.

corianderstem said:
OMG theyr playing Vertigoo twice?!?! How com noone sed anything about this b4?!?!

:rolleyes:

:lmao: :lmao:

Don't forget though, we're talking about a pretty young Band that really doesn't have a lot of songs, maybe we're lucky to hear JUST twice and not 3-4 times a night.:der:

They play Vertigo twice cos it fucking ROCKS :rockon:

it brought the house down when they played it for the second time at Manchester 1:rockon:

zwervers2 said:

I hope I'm wrong but you wouldn't be comparing U2 "1980" with the superstatus band they are now in 2005 would you? This is just ridicoulous sorry to say. 16 songs compared to what? 350 songs? ehh yeah..13 albums later 140 million albums..
?? I'm saying they had 16 different songs to choose from at the release of boy, but they didnt even play all. They had enough songs then and they sure do now.

Nisse said:

?? I'm saying they had 16 different songs to choose from at the release of boy, but they didnt even play all. They had enough songs then and they sure do now.

That's what I mean. If you compare the 14 out of 16 that's 87,5% of the songs they had back then was played. now they have played 34 different songs I think that's 10% of their whole collection. Off course they won't play 30% or something but 60 different songs when you have a collection like that isn't too much to ask is it. Didn;'t want to sound too mean Nisse...It jsut frustrates me that every interview they talk about mixing it up-> otherwise boredom, have to keep yourself sharp the audience etc crap and it doens't seem to happen..In fact if you think about it..The setlist has drppoed from semi adventurous to safe again with the including of AIWIY and still haven;t found. I't's like they took all the cool songs form the us leg and dropped it with the exclusion of Horses, zoostation, elec co and the fly..

if you look at the songs NOT played in Europe did they DID play in the US up till now: BAD, UTEOTW, Gloria, an cat dubh/into the heart, ocean, OOTS...what did europe get back: all I want is you, I will follow and vertigo twice.

again: it's a very strange decision to drop staples like uteotw or bad in favor of what exactely?

zwervers2 said:

That's what I mean. If you compare the 14 out of 16 that's 87,5% of the songs they had back then was played. now they have played 34 different songs I think that's 10% of their whole collection. Off course they won't play 30% or something but 60 different songs when you have a collection like that isn't too much to ask is it. Didn;'t want to sound too mean Nisse...It jsut frustrates me that every interview they talk about mixing it up-> otherwise boredom, have to keep yourself sharp the audience etc crap and it doens't seem to happen..In fact if you think about it..The setlist has drppoed from semi adventurous to safe again with the including of AIWIY and still haven;t found. I't's like they took all the cool songs form the us leg and dropped it with the exclusion of Horses, zoostation, elec co and the fly..

if you look at the songs NOT played in Europe did they DID play in the US up till now: BAD, UTEOTW, Gloria, an cat dubh/into the heart, ocean, OOTS...what did europe get back: all I want is you, I will follow and vertigo twice.

again: it's a very strange decision to drop staples like uteotw or bad in favor of what exactely?
I agree whole heartedly. My point was just to disprove the whole "oh they played 11 O'Clock/I Will Follow/The Ocean twice because they didnt have enough songs". I'm very dissapointed about the decision to drop the "olden goldies" for the safest songs possible..

THIS ISN'T THE OPERA.

wow.

there is nothing about u2 that even closely relates to an opera.

...and that's fine!

Zoomerang96 said:
THIS ISN'T THE OPERA.

wow.

there is nothing about u2 that even closely relates to an opera.

...and that's fine!

If there are any boots of Twick2 then it's worth listening to what Bono said before SYCMIOYO. I can't remember exactly, but he said something along the lines of his father being a big opera fan and that's what he does. Then before Vertigo2 he made the opera beginning and ending with the same song remark. So I think it's in honour of his father.

Mirrorball Man said:

If there are any boots of Twick2 then it's worth listening to what Bono said before SYCMIOYO. I can't remember exactly, but he said something along the lines of his father being a big opera fan and that's what he does. Then before Vertigo2 he made the opera beginning and ending with the same song remark. So I think it's in honour of his father.

Start and (God forbit) end with SYCMIOYO then..that IS about his father...with all due respect, I'm glad Bob wasn't a big fan of the backstreetboys..:huh:

I couldn't care less what songs they play. Obviously, we all have our favourites, but if they were to try and please everyone, they'd be on stage for 7 hrs. every night ...... I am so excited about seeing them, they could play the same song over and over again and I'd still be happy!!!

Mirrorball Man said:
It's emotion

yes, well put. It seems of all the crap we're bandying about on this issue, it boils down to that. Bono fucking *wants* to start and end with the same song, the tour title tune, the one they won a grammy for, the one that rocks the crowd. The band, and obviously many others, like the thing (I do I do too:hyper: )They have the connection to the Boy tours, good emotional/thematic tie. They have the connection to the practice of opera, Bob's favorite form and a format presumably Bono listened to a lot in his dad's livingroom right? And they have the Italian lesson semantics, encore meaning once again for *us* thank you very much. Yeah, they're huge, so now they can truly afford the artistic 'indulgence.
I think if you want to try and appreciate that second Vertigo, that's the route to take, to try and understand that emotional aspect. But hey if there's a bus you gotta catch, whatever. That i've -heard -that -already kinda vibe sorta makes it feel like the audience is listening to a jukebox instead of watching a show, imho.
cheers all!

Last edited:
I don't care who the band is and what the song is or what the relevence of it is.....no one should play the same song twice in one concert on a regular basis.

it might have been fresh the first 2-3 times, but now it's beyond annoying.

and let's be honest: if it wasn't for the itunes commercial, the tune wouldn't have cracked the top 50. not that it matters, but people know it because of the commercial, not because it's "special".

I mean, would anyone actually want to hear streets, one, wowy, or sbs in the same concert twice? and those seem to be the "special" ones.

JOFO said:
I don't care who the band is and what the song is or what the relevence of it is.....no one should play the same song twice in one concert on a regular basis.

it might have been fresh the first 2-3 times, but now it's beyond annoying.

and let's be honest: if it wasn't for the itunes commercial, the tune wouldn't have cracked the top 50. not that it matters, but people know it because of the commercial, not because it's "special".

I mean, would anyone actually want to hear streets, one, wowy, or sbs in the same concert twice? and those seem to be the "special" ones.

opinions about what bands should and shouldn't do in a show aside, I'm being honest when I say I think Vertigo is special! I don't watch much tv, and even I saw the commercial once or twice( in malls mostly I think), but I loved it first hearing and the next 2000 as well. so, people decide that they like a tune, buy it, or put it on radio playlists because of a commercial? I don't get that exactly..
cheers!

Hey I have an idea to those who don't like the idea of Vertigo being played twice. Why not play vertigo the first time then chuck on a DJ at the end and create a live remix of the first version as a closing while the band are walking off the stage?

Interesting I thought. Or even remix the band playing live (the final song) wouldn't that be a first?

jofo you're an idiot. it's the band's concert, and if they want to play elvis ate america 8000 times and close with four different versions of alex decends into hell for a bottle of milk then they can. yeah it may not be a crowd favorite, but it's their concert. you aren't buying into a prelisted set. it's their call.

Back
Top Bottom