Looking Back at Speculation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phillyfan26

Blue Crack Supplier
I've spent a bit of time looking back at what people were predicting for the Vertigo Tour before it happened. There's quite a lot:

- The majority thought Vertigo would open the shows, with COBL a close second.
- Desire was an automatic assumption as being a regular.
- Most people thought there would be a regular acoustic set including A Man and a Woman (and usually Stuck in a Moment).
- Elevation was usually left out.
- People predicting Pop material, which rarely surfaced.
- No one really saw Electric Co., An Cat Dubh, or Zoo Station coming.
- Many nailed the fact that ISHFWILF and WOWY would be in a rotation.

So, any reflections by those who were there?

phillyfan26 said:

I am still a tad surprised it has only been done once this tour.

- Most people thought there would be a regular acoustic set including A Man and a Woman (and usually Stuck in a Moment).

One thing that bugged me before the tour is that a lot of predictions featured setlists made in an Elevation style - I think that in part is what led to a lot of acoustic set predictions.

I wouldn't agree that they have been in rotation. They were almost not played on the first leg (WOWY 4 times, ISHFWILF twice) and have been regulars since the early stages of the second leg. No rotation there.

Re: Re: Looking Back at Speculation

Axver said:

One thing that bugged me before the tour is that a lot of predictions featured setlists made in an Elevation style - I think that in part is what led to a lot of acoustic set predictions.

Why would this "bug" you? :huh: Second, it wasnt because people were predicting Elevation orders. They were predicting acoustic parts because they did acoustic sets/songs on three tours prior to Vertigo and that seemed to have become a staple for U2. They still did for Vertigo also, Yahweh, Stuck, Wild Horses, The First Time, Walk On. A Man And A Woman was the obvious choice prior to the tour because it was obviously already acoustic. Thats all. :shrug:

Re: Re: Re: Looking Back at Speculation

Blue Room said:

Why would this "bug" you? :huh:

Because this isn't the Elevation Tour? Why would U2 re-use the same setlist format from a tour that took place four years previously?

Second, it wasnt because people were predicting Elevation orders. They were predicting acoustic parts because they did acoustic sets/songs on three tours prior to Vertigo and that seemed to have become a staple for U2.

There's a difference between predicting an acoustic set and lifting Elevation's setlist format. Some did the former, some did the latter.

I think when those type things start to bug you its time for a break from the net. Seriously, I have been there also. :shrug:

Blue Room said:
I think when those type things start to bug you its time for a break from the net. Seriously, I have been there also. :shrug:

I think you've taken my phrase a bit too seriously! It's not like I was "grrr, another bloody Elevation style set, damn you people!!!!", it was just "hang on, why are some people still using the Elevation format when this isn't the Elevation tour? I wish people would realise that ..."

Of course, now I can't wait to see all the next tour prediction sets with two Boy songs in the first five songs. :wink:

Last edited:
Axver said:
Of course, now I can't wait to see all the next tour prediction sets with two Boy songs in the first five songs. :wink:

THAT is even more of a steal than acoustic sets!

I actually think they may try to move to War or, even better, Unforgettable Fire material for that portion of the show, depending on the style of the new album.

phillyfan26 said:
I actually think they may try to move to War or, even better, Unforgettable Fire material for that portion of the show, depending on the style of the new album.

I don't think any reasonable predictions can be made until we've heard the next album. This album - in Bono's theory, at least - harked back to Boy, so the early material made sense. If the next album is, say, a bit ethereal, I could see some UF songs back, or if it's a bit experimental, maybe some Zooropa tunes.

I'd love for some rarer War/UF tracks to come back, though. Surrender, Wire, even The Unforgettable Fire - this stuff shouldn't have been dumped for 15-20 years!

I don't want them to have a set theme for their tour.

They just need to have a good rotation of new songs, live classics/greatest hits, and rarities.

I'd want a Lovetown-type setlist, maybe it wasn't a Radiohead-esque "half the songs aren't played the next night", but the setlist structure varied. I'm sure you'll agree with me here Axver.

I'll post setlist examples of this later.

There probably won't be much done on this tour as in terms of rarity. But I do think both nights will have some rotation, something that won't be too shocking, I'm expecting these songs;

I Will Follow
Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Bad
The First Time
One Tree Hill
A Sort Of Homecoming
Love Is Blindness

Perhaps the last 3 are asking a tad bit too much...

Altho, by the time U2 goes down to Austrailia, the ZOO TV DVD should be out, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some more Achtung, Baby! material played such as...

Even Better Than The Real Thing
Dirty Day

theu2fly said:
There probably won't be much done on this tour as in terms of rarity. But I do think both nights will have some rotation, something that won't be too shocking, I'm expecting these songs;

I Will Follow
Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Bad
The First Time
One Tree Hill
A Sort Of Homecoming
Love Is Blindness

Perhaps the last 3 are asking a tad bit too much...

Love is Blindness was performed on Leg Four :hmm: And I agree we could see some Achtung Baby/Zooropa material here.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I don't want them to have a set theme for their tour.

They just need to have a good rotation of new songs, live classics/greatest hits, and rarities.

I'd want a Lovetown-type setlist, maybe it wasn't a Radiohead-esque "half the songs aren't played the next night", but the setlist structure varied. I'm sure you'll agree with me here Axver.

I'll post setlist examples of this later.

Yep, I agree. I liked the Lovetown philosophy with segments that the band could rotate, such as Streets/IWF/ISHFWILF and Desire/Watchtower/AIWIY. They still had a structure, but one that was much more flexible.

And I'd like a tour focused just on how good the music sounds. We've had a lot of themed tours, now let's bring Edge, Adam, and Larry to the forefront.

phillyfan26 said:

Love is Blindness was performed on Leg Four :hmm:

Once - impromptu and incomplete. Though maybe that performance will inspire them to play a fleshed-out full version, who knows. :shrug:

Depending if Bono can handle 'Miss Sarajevo' anymore, Love Is Blindness should take it's place.

Axver said:

Yep, I agree. I liked the Lovetown philosophy with segments that the band could rotate, such as Streets/IWF/ISHFWILF and Desire/Watchtower/AIWIY. They still had a structure, but one that was much more flexible.

And I'd like a tour focused just on how good the music sounds. We've had a lot of themed tours, now let's bring Edge, Adam, and Larry to the forefront.

exxxxxactly my point.

Vertigo is hinting at what the next tour maybe be... Adam's a showman now, Larry has more involvement on the Elipse... so it's possible that more songs will turn out like this, and their performances too.

theu2fly said:
Altho, by the time U2 goes down to Austrailia, the ZOO TV DVD should be out, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some more Achtung, Baby! material played such as...

Even Better Than The Real Thing
Dirty Day

Dirty Day isn't AB...

Shocked by the lack of Rattle and Hum/Pop.........I didn't hear a single song from either in the shows I went to. Was expecting more from Pop thanks to the new mixes on Best Of 1990-2000, while "Desire" seemed permanent.

phillyfan26 said:

There's nothing to indicate they actually will.

Hopefully! :wink: naaah, I'm joking, it would be great if they'd play another obscurity... we'd still get at least a bootleg! and what about the rumoured Sydney TV broadcast? I remember reading something about it long time ago.

theu2fly said:
Depending if Bono can handle 'Miss Sarajevo' anymore, Love Is Blindness should take it's place.

Hmm...

I'd rather have RTSS back in its rightful place. Or even better, PLEASE. :drool:

I wish Bad would be played every night...they didn't play it when I saw them. :sad:

phillyfan26 said:
I've spent a bit of time looking back at what people were predicting for the Vertigo Tour before it happened. There's quite a lot:

The missing Desire and the multiple Boy songs were definitely the two biggest surprises of the tour. Though the inclusions of Zoo Station and Miss Sarajevo were surprising too.

Seriously, who could have predicted Electric Co, An Cat Dubh, Into The Heart, The Ocean, and Miss Sarajevo? Or even the return of 40? Fast Cars rocked, and who would've thought that Walk On, easily one of the top highlights from 2001, would get dropped like a rock on the very next tour?

And how could I forget the single biggest surprise of all, The First Time!!!

This tour was full of surprises, and lots of songs that many of us thought we'd never hear again.

We can only hope that the next tour yields a similar amount of surprises. Wouldn't it be great if they came out and played Wire, Surrender, Unforgettable Fire, and Ultraviolet? And then opened the encores with God Part II and Desire?

Also, in general, I think concerts on this tour were a song or two longer than in 2001. Great tour, and I'm glad it didn't match up exactly with prior speculation.

phillyfan26 said:

A lot of people also thought that WOWY would segue into Streets. Some people also thought that LAPOE would replace Bullet the Blue Sky.

Joey788 said:

A lot of people also thought that WOWY would segue into Streets. Some people also thought that LAPOE would replace Bullet the Blue Sky.

I've seen people advocating that Crumbs replace Pride. :shrug:

A lot of people were letting wishful thinking get in the way of reality. Most people come to see the classic greatest hits, not the new songs, most of which will never make it to the next tour anyway.

Re: Re: Re: Looking Back at Speculation

Muad'zin said:

I've seen people advocating that Crumbs replace Pride. :shrug:

A lot of people were letting wishful thinking get in the way of reality. Most people come to see the classic greatest hits, not the new songs, most of which will never make it to the next tour anyway.

Ssssh! Don't say that! They'll be seen as the Rolling Stones MkII!

Joey788 said:

A lot of people also thought that WOWY would segue into Streets.

That came from a radio station that supposedly interviewed Paul McGuinness and the radio station claimed that he said the band were working on a WOWY --> Streets segue.

Depending on the new album of course, am I the only person who wants to see Streets open the shows again? After the shockingly disappointing Vertigo version of Streets, I'd like to see the band just move
Streets back to the beginning of the show. It's the perfect opener, and it was awe-inspiring during the Joshua Tree and Lovetown shows. I know a lot of fans would be disappointed about no segue for the song, but I'd still rather see the iconic Red background with the band entering as silhouettes, and the return of the original synth intro.:drool:

Back
Top Bottom