Looking Back at Speculation - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > U2 Setlists
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2006, 01:59 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:28 PM
Shocked by the lack of Rattle and Hum/Pop.........I didn't hear a single song from either in the shows I went to. Was expecting more from Pop thanks to the new mixes on Best Of 1990-2000, while "Desire" seemed permanent.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:15 AM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

There's nothing to indicate they actually will.
Hopefully! naaah, I'm joking, it would be great if they'd play another obscurity... we'd still get at least a bootleg! and what about the rumoured Sydney TV broadcast? I remember reading something about it long time ago.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:33 AM   #23
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by theu2fly
Depending if Bono can handle 'Miss Sarajevo' anymore, Love Is Blindness should take it's place.
Hmm...

I'd rather have RTSS back in its rightful place. Or even better, PLEASE.

I wish Bad would be played every night...they didn't play it when I saw them.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:49 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:28 PM
Re: Looking Back at Speculation

Quote:
I've spent a bit of time looking back at what people were predicting for the Vertigo Tour before it happened. There's quite a lot:

- The majority thought Vertigo would open the shows, with COBL a close second.
- Desire was an automatic assumption as being a regular.
- Most people thought there would be a regular acoustic set including A Man and a Woman (and usually Stuck in a Moment).
- Elevation was usually left out.
- People predicting Pop material, which rarely surfaced.
- No one really saw Electric Co., An Cat Dubh, or Zoo Station coming.
- Many nailed the fact that ISHFWILF and WOWY would be in a rotation.

So, any reflections by those who were there?
The missing Desire and the multiple Boy songs were definitely the two biggest surprises of the tour. Though the inclusions of Zoo Station and Miss Sarajevo were surprising too.

Seriously, who could have predicted Electric Co, An Cat Dubh, Into The Heart, The Ocean, and Miss Sarajevo? Or even the return of 40? Fast Cars rocked, and who would've thought that Walk On, easily one of the top highlights from 2001, would get dropped like a rock on the very next tour?

And how could I forget the single biggest surprise of all, The First Time!!!

This tour was full of surprises, and lots of songs that many of us thought we'd never hear again.

We can only hope that the next tour yields a similar amount of surprises. Wouldn't it be great if they came out and played Wire, Surrender, Unforgettable Fire, and Ultraviolet? And then opened the encores with God Part II and Desire?

Also, in general, I think concerts on this tour were a song or two longer than in 2001. Great tour, and I'm glad it didn't match up exactly with prior speculation.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:46 AM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 10:28 PM
Re: Looking Back at Speculation

Quote:
I've spent a bit of time looking back at what people were predicting for the Vertigo Tour before it happened. There's quite a lot:

- The majority thought Vertigo would open the shows, with COBL a close second.
- Desire was an automatic assumption as being a regular.
- Most people thought there would be a regular acoustic set including A Man and a Woman (and usually Stuck in a Moment).
- Elevation was usually left out.
- People predicting Pop material, which rarely surfaced.
- No one really saw Electric Co., An Cat Dubh, or Zoo Station coming.
- Many nailed the fact that ISHFWILF and WOWY would be in a rotation.

So, any reflections by those who were there?
A lot of people also thought that WOWY would segue into Streets. Some people also thought that LAPOE would replace Bullet the Blue Sky.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:22 AM   #26
Refugee

Local Time: 02:28 AM
Re: Re: Looking Back at Speculation

Quote:
Originally posted by Joey788

A lot of people also thought that WOWY would segue into Streets. Some people also thought that LAPOE would replace Bullet the Blue Sky.
I've seen people advocating that Crumbs replace Pride.

A lot of people were letting wishful thinking get in the way of reality. Most people come to see the classic greatest hits, not the new songs, most of which will never make it to the next tour anyway.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:54 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:28 PM
Re: Re: Re: Looking Back at Speculation

Quote:
Originally posted by Muad'zin

I've seen people advocating that Crumbs replace Pride.

A lot of people were letting wishful thinking get in the way of reality. Most people come to see the classic greatest hits, not the new songs, most of which will never make it to the next tour anyway.
Ssssh! Don't say that! They'll be seen as the Rolling Stones MkII!
Old 08-04-2006, 10:55 PM   #28
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:28 PM
Re: Re: Looking Back at Speculation

Quote:
Originally posted by Joey788

A lot of people also thought that WOWY would segue into Streets.
That came from a radio station that supposedly interviewed Paul McGuinness and the radio station claimed that he said the band were working on a WOWY --> Streets segue.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-04-2006, 11:47 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Depending on the new album of course, am I the only person who wants to see Streets open the shows again? After the shockingly disappointing Vertigo version of Streets, I'd like to see the band just move
Streets back to the beginning of the show. It's the perfect opener, and it was awe-inspiring during the Joshua Tree and Lovetown shows. I know a lot of fans would be disappointed about no segue for the song, but I'd still rather see the iconic Red background with the band entering as silhouettes, and the return of the original synth intro.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:51 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Blue Room,

i've noticed that you end every post with:

mikal
Old 08-05-2006, 12:02 PM   #31
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
Depending on the new album of course, am I the only person who wants to see Streets open the shows again? After the shockingly disappointing Vertigo version of Streets, I'd like to see the band just move
Streets back to the beginning of the show. It's the perfect opener, and it was awe-inspiring during the Joshua Tree and Lovetown shows. I know a lot of fans would be disappointed about no segue for the song, but I'd still rather see the iconic Red background with the band entering as silhouettes, and the return of the original synth intro.
That's joygasmic, but I really want to see them end a show with Streets.

This is my perfect 2nd encore:

All I Want is You
Bad (these two done Lovetown-style, but Bad has like 5 snippets of amazing songs)
Running to Stand Still
Where the Streets Have No Name

and the janitor would have to mop my face up from off the floor.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:10 PM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto

That's joygasmic, but I really want to see them end a show with Streets.

This is my perfect 2nd encore:

All I Want is You
Bad (these two done Lovetown-style, but Bad has like 5 snippets of amazing songs)
Running to Stand Still
Where the Streets Have No Name

and the janitor would have to mop my face up from off the floor.
I'd love to see a show close out with

Bad/Rolling Stones snippets/some other songs/40

The lights stay down and the intro to Streets starts out very quietly.

Farking orgasmic.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:40 AM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zooropean103
I would be f*cking jealous if they'd play dirty day
A Zoo TV DVD is going to mean NOTHING in way of setlist change.

At least thats what I think.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:16 PM   #34
The Fly

Anyone remember pre-tour, when Bono was in Mexico, and there was that article which said that the band was working on Lemon? Anyone remember that? How would that have sounded? Hmmm... Bono couldnt sing the falsetto, so what would he do? Hold a tambourine like in ABOY!
Old 09-30-2006, 03:40 AM   #35
Refugee

Local Time: 03:28 AM
Actually the rumours about Lemon were confirmed by Willie Williams as far as I remember. Apparently it just didn't work
Old 09-30-2006, 06:34 AM   #36
The Fly

And also there was Mofo... played at a soundcheck if i'm right? That and the wanderer, also never made it into the setlist.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:55 AM   #37
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by beLIEve_ZOO121
And also there was Mofo... played at a soundcheck if i'm right? That and the wanderer, also never made it into the setlist.
Yes, we know that Mofo was soundchecked on 18 November 2005 in Atlanta, and reports indicate it was soundchecked elsewhere (maybe 16 September 2005, Toronto?).

I don't think the band intended to put The Wanderer in the set, but just to play it on the Johnny Cash tribute. Nonetheless, I'm surprised they didn't play it as it wouldn't have been too hard to slot into the set somewhere. It would've been quite cool.

As far as the Mexico reports go, I think it was established that they were fabrications and not to be believed, but Lemon (and, apparently, Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car) were indeed both soundchecked at some point.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-30-2006, 10:26 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Mofo was soundchecked twice that I'm aware of. I dont think it was done in Toronto, although fans outside claimed they heard it. I think it was just the sequencer though with Edge hitting the riff. If that counts as being played, so be it, but I dont think the rest of the band worked on it then.

Lemon was never officially confirmed. Most of the Mexico rehearsal rumors were complete BS. A fan simply put their wish list of songs out there. A few turned out to be right, but if you remember they listed like 40 songs, they were bound to guess a few correctly. Although I think a fan here asked Hamish or was it Steve Lillywhite? in San Diego or another west coast show if U2 had worked on Lemon and he said yes. The only problem with this is Hamish and/or Steve were not at the Mexico rehearsals. It was also reported that Bono's security guy John said they worked on Lemon on the third leg in Toronto and possibly Chicago. I dont believe this is correct though. Either the fan that got the information was mistaken about what he said or John was thinking of a different song and said it was Lemon.

Daddy's Gonna Pay was supposedly worked on, but it was a mess and the band quickly dropped it. Apparantly it was completely reworked and wasnt anything like what they did on Zooropa. But it just didnt work.

The band never intended to play The Wanderer at a show. They supposedly only worked on it one time prior to LA in soundcheck and only talked about shooting it in LA that one time previously.

Mikal, I'm sorry my posts bug you. I will try to use less 's. But please, pick apart my posts as a result. Or do me a favor and block me. Thanks
Old 09-30-2006, 11:18 AM   #39
The Fly

Also, on the 3rd leg vertigo there was a fan who asked Bono about Zooropa, and he said that they'd been working on a song from that album. On the night, they added in a snippet of Daddys Gonna Pay.. and also played The First Time.
So who knows? Maybe they started working on it because of the fan's comments? Maybe we should do that more often, and then we might get songs we want... Ask Bono for Acrobat!!!

@ Blue Room, thanks for the interesting info! Where did you get the info?
In terms of reworking Daddy's Gonna Pay, i reckon that probably did happen, coz they also reworked Discotheque, they might've been in a reworking mood. If it turned out anything like Discotheque did, it would have been great!